We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Houseboat

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Houseboat

We are going to Kerala and would appreciate some peoples experiences of houseboats. We were thinking of getting one at Alleppey. Some people say dont bother just get a public ferry trip, some say yes do it but dont bother staying overnight just do a day trip?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

1. Re: Houseboat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 19:05
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Houseboat

Thank you, I will check them out.

Many thanks for your help.

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, Thekkady
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Houseboat

This is a very mixed bag and a very personal choice, as I have seen it being discussed so frequently. I, for one, would personally choose to do a day trip with a meal on board, for the experience rather than staying overnight, as I have personally found it boring. You may also check on the canoe trips on offer, which may be interesting.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Houseboat

Thanks for your reply. Yes I have to agree, my feelings are its a lot of money just to stay overnight. I have also seen mentioned about just taking public ferries, much cheaper but seeing just as much, would you agree? Also where is the best place to start from, is it Alleppey? Thanks for your help.

Oregon
Level Contributor
73 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Houseboat

We are doing a 2 nite in Feb first time to this area. I felt that this is such an integral part of the culture that 2 nites would be adequate. We are using Spice Cruises per another member's recommendation.

Mysuru (Mysore...
Destination Expert
for Mysuru (Mysore)
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Houseboat

The details of the government run ferry services are available at swtd.gov.in. You could use Kollam as your starting point as Alleppey has an excess of private boats. Ferries give a flavour of every day life, while the cruises are used essentially by tourists and so in some ways the former is nicer. The 1030 service from Alleppey ( spelt Alappuzha) to Kollam may offer an intermediate solution as it has an upper deck

Mentioned in this post
Kollam
Kollam
Kollam District, India
Alappuzha
Alappuzha
Alappuzha District, India
Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, Thekkady
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Houseboat

It again depends on your preferences. Alleppey has a lot of options in all budgets and choices, whereas Kumarakom is more of a high end type. Suggest you dig a little deeper into the Kumarakom/Alleppey forums, where similar discussions with more details have been held.

Mentioned in this post
Kumarakom
Kumarakom
Kottayam District, India
8. Re: Houseboat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2013, 09:15