We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pl advise for trip

Jalandhar, India
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Pl advise for trip

we are four adults (1 elderly couple) reaching Trivandrum on 5th March,evening. SO far I have planned;

Day 1.... 5th March..take taxi to kovalam n night stay.

Day 2... 6th March..: Taxi for sightseeing and drop off in Kanyakumari(night stay)

Day 3: 7th March..Train to Kottayam .reaching evening,pl advise whether to stay in Kumarakom/Allepey?

Day 4..8th March...: Backwater cruise n sightseeing and go to Thekkady.Night stay

Day 5: 9th March... Reach Kochi by night.

Day 6: Kochi

Day 7:Flight back

Is this trip feasible so we can cover all destinations comfortably?

which area to stay in Allepey/Kumarakom?kochi?

Road condition from Kumarakom to thekkady? Ie is it a very hilly hairpin drive/how much km is hilly area as i get mountain sickness

Also pl suggest taxi owner/travel agency from Allepey onwards

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pl advise for trip

Hello

The itinerary looks just OK. But there are some suggestions from our side,You will miss Munnar badly! I would recommend you to extend a day and go for two night stay in Munnar by avoiding a night stay at Thekkady. The Thekkady - Cochin journey is about 160KM and can be slightly tiring as you having aged people with you!

The Kumarakom- Thekkady, Thekkady-Cochin routes are through hilly terrain only and its not all that hair pin kind of bend a the road is not covering any ghat-pass.

Cheers,

Arun- Team ExperienceKerala

Kottayam, India
Destination Expert
for Kerala
Level Contributor
6,061 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pl advise for trip

Since you are reaching evening in kumarakom/alapuzha and planning to do houseboat next day ,it will be better to stay in alapuzha.if you are planning to do house boat in kumarakom you can move directly to kumarakom.the stay will depend on which place u r planning to do houseboat.

Also the stay in kumarakom will be high price and alapuzha stay will be cheaper.

You may directly go to alqpuzha from trivandrum via kayamkulam in train.to reach kumarakom from tvm,you need to reach kottayam by train and proceed in bus/taxi 8 km to kumarakom.

The journey to thekkady can be tiredsome with adults and you may drop it.you can either add varkala(beach) or munnar(hill station) to the trip.

Enjoy your stay in kerala

Jalandhar, India
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pl advise for trip

Thanks for the prompt reply.I plan to go from Kottayam to Alleppey and stay there at night and next morning take boat/cruise to Kumarakom and from there taxi to Thekkady/Munnar .Is it Ok or do i need one day more in kumarakom?pl suggest good mid budget hotels in munnar.

Kottayam, India
Destination Expert
for Kerala
Level Contributor
6,061 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pl advise for trip

In kumarakom the sight seeing options are bird santuary,bay drift museum and aruvikuzhy falls.

Where you are planning to stay in kottayam.if there is not any particular reason to be there in kottayam,you can plan like

Trivandrum>alapuzha>kumarakom>munnar/thekkady(via kottayam) which may be more comfortable

Jalandhar, India
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pl advise for trip

I an not staying in kottayam but am arriving by Bangalore exp from kanyakumari n will reach by 5 pm n take taxi to Alleppey or kumarakom...any reasonably priced good hotels that you know of?

Jalandhar, India
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pl advise for trip

I an not staying in kottayam but am arriving by Bangalore exp from kanyakumari n will reach by 5 pm n take taxi to Alleppey or kumarakom...any reasonably priced good hotels that you know of?

Kottayam, India
Destination Expert
for Kerala
Level Contributor
6,061 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pl advise for trip

In kottayam you may check philkuttys farm which has good TA reviews.

the thing is u need to reach alapuzha next day by 12 noon for houseboat.so u will not be getting any time for sightseeing in kumarakom.

You may need to depart to alapy in morning.

Anoher option is u may try house boat in kumarakom itself.

Jalandhar, India
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pl advise for trip

no I wont be staying in Kottayam but taking taxi/bus to Alleppey/Kumarakom so pl tell me hotels in these places

Edited: 09 February 2014, 11:41
Kottayam, India
Destination Expert
for Kerala
Level Contributor
6,061 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pl advise for trip

Kumarakom-you may check this 2.i cant find much budget stays in kumarakom.better try in alapuzha

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g678552-d647635…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g678552-d195374…

10. Re: Pl advise for trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 February 2014, 11:05