We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

backwaters how much? Which companies in Kollum? Where to go?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
42 reviews
Save Topic
backwaters how much? Which companies in Kollum? Where to go?

I couldn't find much info about this so I thought I would post a little of what I have found since I have been here.

House boats Kollum.

Average price to Kollum to Alleppey was RS 14,000 - RS 22,000 depending on which company. Kollum to Kollum was RS 6750 - RS 10,000

DTPC. (one full day plus overnight). KOL to ALL RS 14,000 + tax

KOL to KOL 7500

www.dtpckollum.com

Southern backwaters " " KOL to ALL RS 17,000 with AC

KOL to KOL 8000

www.southernbackwaters.com

Dream Cruise " " KOL to ALL RS 20,000 (nicest boat of the lot)

KOL to KOL 8500 (10000 with AC)

www.kerala-houseboat.in

Saj holidays. " " KOL to ALL RS 16,000

KOL to KOL 6750

www.sajholidays.com

Visit kerala. " " KOL to KOL RS 7500

ALL to ALL. 7500 (nice boat)

When you walk down the road to the boat jetty you will be mobbed by all these guys and will have various flyers and business cards thrust upon you. It can be a bit overwhelming just with these few companies here in Kollum so imagine what it's like in alleppey with over a thousand! Insist on seeing the boat before you decide and try and meet the crew, remember you are going to be spending a long time with them!

Kollum to Kollum overnight.

You will get on the boat at 11.30 and chug up past the Chinese fishing nets to a point where you will moor up and have lunch. After lunch you will go a little further up the lake towards Monroe Island where you will stop again. From here you will get a guy with a small canoe to take you around the little canals this takes around 3 hours you'll see prawn farms, coir making and general life around the backwaters. Insist to stop some where with a good view of the sunset for dinner as if you don't you will probably get taken to the same place you had lunch! This is the last stop for the day. You should get an option to get some fresh sea food to supplement your dinner (all at extra cost of course) at a market or local village, If you want more booze this is the place to get it, if you stop the same place we did there is a government alcohol shop a short walk away.

Around 6 am give or take you can watch the sun rise before setting off back to the boat jetty where you will arrive at 9 ish.

If you wish to head to alleppey, ask when getting prices if they can include the ferry tickets to alleppey in the price (600).

Kollum to alleppey.

This runs the same route as the ferry. There is a large stretch of this run that is very dirty and unsightly. Personally I would not recommend this route. It is the same as above as far as stopping times and arrival but no canoe trip.

Alleppey house boats

From what I've heard and seen this is a very crowded route. There are literally hundreds of boats very where! You will moor up for lunch and dinner in great big lines of boats shoulder to shoulder.

The choice of boats however is much better than Kollum they range from floating crap barges to extravagant palaces with modern kitchens, rooms, decks and bathrooms.

To see the majority of the house boats go to the snake boat finishing point as they are all stored here. You should be able to walk along and see a good number of them and get a general idea of condition, size and shape.

We took a small boat in alleppey through the back waters through the smaller canals that the house boats can't get. It's less crowded and you feel a lot closer to the action. It should cost 300 rupees an hour. I would have been happy to just do this and not spend the money for the house boat because you don't miss much by doing it this way and it is a tenth of the cost.

Hope some of this was useful.

Kottayam, India
Destination Expert
for Kerala
Level Contributor
6,236 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: backwaters how much? Which companies in Kollum? Where to go?

Thanks for the post.

Good information for those planning kollam house boats.

Pune, India
Level Contributor
362 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: backwaters how much? Which companies in Kollum? Where to go?

Great information.

Thanks for sharing

chirag

Kerala
Destination Expert
for Kerala, Kumarakom, Alappuzha, Kochi (Cochin), Munnar
Level Contributor
7,008 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: backwaters how much? Which companies in Kollum? Where to go?

Hello Leighleigh269,

thanks for the post

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
934 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: backwaters how much? Which companies in Kollum? Where to go?

Hi Leighleigh269,

Really great stuff. Thanks for sharing. Keep posting:)

Cheers,

Arun

Travelers Point | Team Experience Kerala

5. Re: backwaters how much? Which companies in Kollum? Where to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2015, 06:23