We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
153 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi

Dear Friends,

Thanks for all the good tips. We are finalizing the following itinerary:

Day-1: We will fly into Trivandrum early morning, and stay 2 nights at Poovar.

Day-2: Day trip to Kanyakymari.

Day-3, Drive to Kumarakom and stay 3 nights

Day-6, Drive to Thekkady stay 2 nights there.

Day-8, Drive to Cochin; my flight out is late night around 10pm

The main reason for this plan is that we have done a lot beaches earlier and my wife has been to Kovlam & Munar before.

Now, I will need taxi for following:

1.) Trivandram Airport to Poovar Hotel

2.) Day-2 Poovar to KanyaKumari day trip

3.) Day-3 Poovar to Kumarakoom

4.) Day-6 Kumarakom to Thekkady

5.) Day-7 Miving around Thekkady/Periyar

7.) Day-8 Thekkady to Cochin - Airport.

Not sure if I need a car during my entire 3-day stay at Kumarakom. Also, Day-1, I will not need the car other than Airport-Poovar Hotel. Please give suggestion.

Please recommend some good car companies.

Thanks.

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
158 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi

Sine you dont require cab for entire trip you could get cab from cab stands or prepaid cab stands or get it arranged by the hotel you are staying at.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
729 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi

Day 1: You can ask the hotel for a pick-up or book a pre-paid taxi from the airport to the hotel.

Day 2: Approach the hotel or nearest taxi stand for a day trip to Kanyakumari. It should cost approx. Rs.2,500 for a day trip to Kanyakumari (depending on the type of vehicle hired)

Day 3: Use the same cab for a drop to Kumarakom. No need of cab in Kumarakom unless you plan to visit the Bird Sanctuary. Use can always use the local auto's for commuting within Kumarakom.

Day 6 - 8: You should hire a cab for this.

Titus.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
153 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi

Should I pre-book some of these? Or, will I get good rates from hotel / taxi-stands? Also, how about availability? I would prefer an Innova or a car one level above Indica for my major trips.

Thanks.

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
239 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi

Hi,

From the airport, you can get a prepaid taxi to Poovar.

Instead of searching for a taxi operator or a tour operator, request your hotel to arrange a vehicle to your specification. This way, you can avoid cancellations without notice and also find a suitable driver.

Do you require a car from Poovar to Kumarakom? If I may suggest, why not take a train to Kottayam or Alappuzha (three hours by train) and take a cab from there. The reason being that the roads are not great.

You would not require a vehicle in Kumarakom for moving about. Autos would be available and should do the job.

From day 6 to the day 8, you would require a vehicle and as you have mentioned, an Innova would be the best vehicle.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
153 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi

Thanks a lot. I think, I am going to do exactly what was recommended by idiscoverindia_renuv . I am booking train tickets (2nd class) on Kerala Express leaving 11:15 from Trivandrum. I like the open windows and hopefully kids will enjoy it. Rest all will be done via hotels or at airport/station.

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
239 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi

Hi again,

When going from Kumarakom to Thekkady, if the driver is amendable and you have time (and money), visit the three Shiva temples at Vaikom, Kaduthuruthy and Ettumanoor. If you happen to be a religious Hindu, nothing could make you more happy. If you are not a Hindu, the architectural beauty and the wood works are worth seeing.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
153 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi

Okay - will check. Thanks.

8. Re: Taxi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2015, 05:16