We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kerala in August

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Kerala in August

Hi, I am visiting Kerala in mid August and currently plan to over Alleppey, munnar and thekkady in 5 days. After reading periyar reviews I have second thoughts on thekkady. I was wanting to do bamboo rafting.

What is a better option, should I drop thekkady and cover Kodai or Trivandrum. Not sure if poovar islands are open in August?

How will Periyar be in August and also if Bamboo rafting is operational in rains? Reading about the leeches I'm not very keen on the idea of jungle or nature walk in Periyar. Is the any other option to reach the lake.

Plz help.

Munnar, India
Level Contributor
232 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kerala in August

Hi

You can spent 4 N 5 D in Kerala

Munnar – 2 Night (Hill Station)

Thekkady -1 N (Wild life)

Alleppey – 1 Night(Houseboat)

Day wise itinerary

Day 01 : Cochin to Munnar

Day 02 : Munnar Local

Day 03 : Munnar to Thekkady

Day 04 : Thekkady to Alleppey

Day 05 : Alleppey to Cochin

Regards

Lovelymunnar Holidays

Kerala, India
Destination Expert
for Kumarakom, Alappuzha, Kochi (Cochin), Kerala
Level Contributor
2,655 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kerala in August

Hi shireen_khan,

for 5 days you could do Munnar - 2 nights ., Thekkady - 2 nights and Alappuzha - 1 Night

For ecotourism activities in Thekkady , you will have to stay 2 nights in Thekkady as most of the activities are full day

you may contact them directly for more details

http://www.periyartigerreserve.org/home.php

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kerala in August

Thanks Neenu but how will thekkady be in August, I mean weather wise

Kottayam, India
Destination Expert
for Kerala
Level Contributor
6,236 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kerala in August

Hi

since you are not intrested in nature/green.walk better avoid bamboo rafting.for half day bamboo rafting most of time you will be trekking and max 1 hr you may do rafting.unlije other santuaries thekkady wont clise due to monaoon.but in rain activities may be difficult.for leaches in monsoon,eventhough you are provided socks , its not a full solution,it can definetely helps a little.you may check current reviews to know what travellers think of thekkady in monsoon

Other things what you can do is 90min periyar boating,visiting elephant junction for elephant ride,bath,shower,feeding etc & cultural centre for watching kathakali & martial arts.

Kalpetta, India
Destination Expert
for Kalpetta, Kozhikode, Mysuru (Mysore), Kodagu (Coorg), Sultan Bathery, Wayanad District, Kerala
Level Contributor
854 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kerala in August

Hi

Generally, Aug is Monsoon season and you can expect good rains. However, this year the weather was little different. Even now, it is supposed to be raining heavily, but we didn't have much of rains in Jun.

Regards

Sam

Groowynd Holidays

Ambala, India
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kerala in August

Kerala is the best option but it will be good if you visit it in September month.

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Kerala in August

You can do a motor boat trip in Periyar lake with out facing the leaches, You may also visit Spice plantations around. If you look for more wildlife experience, choose Parambikulam (4 / 5 hours from Munnar).

Suresh. P R

Palmland Tours

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kerala in August

Thank you all for your help....

9. Re: Kerala in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2015, 05:17