We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to obtain rupees in Kerala ?

Leatherhead UK
Level Contributor
52 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
How to obtain rupees in Kerala ?

In August we travel to Kerala for 2 weeks in Kochi, near Allepey, Thekkady and Madurai. Obviously, we will be able to obtain rupees on arrival at the airport but we don't want to carry too much cash, so how will we get more rupees later on ? Are there lots of ATMs in these places? I doubt whether the system of travellers cheques still exists, so what's best ? Help please !

Kottayam, India
Destination Expert
for Kerala
Level Contributor
6,063 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to obtain rupees in Kerala ?

Hi janetol

there are lots of ATM S in all locations and no need to worry.

Please inform your bank in advance that money will be drawn in india.

Doha, Qatar
Destination Expert
for Doha, Kerala
Level Contributor
10,900 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to obtain rupees in Kerala ?

The basic rule: you are not allowed to take rupees in or out of India. The easy option is to take your debit card and use the ATMs. However, there are three reasons not to rely upon plastic. 1) The first is the risk that your card might be declined (sometimes, even if you have informed in advance) 2) Due to technical problems sometimes ATMs may not work 3) You have no control over the exchange rate.

You can change money very easily in all major cities. Most of the resorts and hotels will change money. Under no circumstances change money in the street.

Most banks in India encash travellers cheques across the counter.

London
Level Contributor
8,147 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to obtain rupees in Kerala ?

I doubt whether the system of travellers cheques still exists <<<<

It seems to be on its last legs janetol. Many posts of the Goa forum last season about unable to change travellers cheques. A bank in Trivandrum told me they do not change anymore and HSBC in U.K. just announced will not accept unused travelers cheques anymore.

Airport exchange will be very poor rate so only change small amount on arrival. Presume your first stop will be Kochi so plenty exchange shops there. Cannot comment about other places you will stay but best to take least two different ATM cards in case of problem. Taking cash is easiest option.

Doha, Qatar
Destination Expert
for Doha, Kerala
Level Contributor
10,900 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to obtain rupees in Kerala ?

American Express Traveler's cheques are still accepted globally as a mode of payment in many parts of the world. The beauty of Travelers' Cheques is that they can be replaced if they are lost or stolen. I agree that not many people use it now a days. All banks acting as Authorised Dealers in foreign exchange will take travellers cheques. Besides there are several private foreign exchange dealers like Thomas Cook, LKP etc.

Another option is as wanderin_star suggested, carry two cards Visa and Master. I agree it's the easier option.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,941 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to obtain rupees in Kerala ?

Post#2

I'm coming to Kerala in February and have been wondering about changing money. I don't use cards in Asia. Why do you recommend not changing money on the street? I was imagining that there would be money changers on the streets and any shopping centre or places as elsewhere in Asia where I have found them to give better rates and to be quicker than banks. Of course vigilance is needed so as not to be cheated etc.

Thanks

Archi

Doha, Qatar
Destination Expert
for Doha, Kerala
Level Contributor
10,900 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to obtain rupees in Kerala ?

Money changing won't be a big issue while travelling in Kerala. You can change it in all big towns like Kochi, Kottayam, Trivandrum etc. You can do it either at banks or through private money changers.

I guess what was meant by not to change it on street was not to change it through people on the streets. Because, you can find people on the street offering money changing especially in Kochi, Kovalam and other tourist spots.

Doha, Qatar
Destination Expert
for Doha, Kerala
Level Contributor
10,900 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to obtain rupees in Kerala ?

Don't get lured by the attractive rates these street guys offer. Always, walk into a bank or an office of an authorised money changer.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,941 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to obtain rupees in Kerala ?

Thanks Jacpaul. I wouldn't do any transactions with any individual who approached me on the street.

I'm arriving at Trivandurum so will change money at the airport. Is there much of a difference between airport rates and the banks and authorised changers?

Thanks

Archi

Doha, Qatar
Destination Expert
for Doha, Kerala
Level Contributor
10,900 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to obtain rupees in Kerala ?

You can change money at the airport money exchange counters or at any money exchangers mentioned before. At airport, you might find many money exchange counters. All of them will give almost same rates. Only advantage of going to the Bank is maybe you can bargain a bit for a better rate.

10. Re: How to obtain rupees in Kerala ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 July 2014, 16:35
Get answers to your questions about Kerala