We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice on beaches & hotels

Leicester, UK
Level Contributor
109 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
advice on beaches & hotels

My wife and I are debating whether to visit Goa or Kerala in Feb/Mar next year. We have been to both previously, Goa earlier this year and Marari Beach a couple of years ago. Both were fabulous but at Marari, we did find the local custom of using the beach as a toilet was somewhat off-putting. Is this customary throughout Kerala? We are considering trying Poovar Island (hope this doesn't live up to it's name!!), the Isola di Cocco, Estuary island or Poovar Island Resort. We are both approaching 60 yrs old and prefer peace and quiet to organised activities around the pool area. Can anyone advise? Also, is it safe to swim in the sea around this region in Feb/Mar? We'd be grateful for your thoughts.

London
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice on beaches & hotels

My fiance and I are going to the Estuary island early jan so we should be able to tell you about our experience then. About Isola di cocco, I have only heard good things. Its supposed to be absolutely beautiful and service is supposedly faultless. But, don't take my word for it. Have not been there. I couldn't get a reservation there and hence am going to estuary island which does not have reviews on tripadvisor but I have heard some good things about it so am trying it out

Dorset
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice on beaches & hotels

returned at the end of last week from Isola Di Cooco. the hotel is situated next to the "Estuary" and is to a good standard .The Pooovar Island resort is now under new management and Iis now good despite previous reviews. All three hotels are in a very quiet backwater location. Swimming from the beach across from the Estuary is not recommended because of the strong current

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: advice on beaches & hotels

Have you cosidered trying Travancore Heritage at Chowarra.

It's in a very quiet location but not quite as isolated as Poovar Island etc. - it's closer to Kovalem and Trivandrum, The best accommodation is in the small cottages - the views from some are suberb

I'm afraid that there is a similar problem to the one at Marari Beach (we stayed there too and loved it) - I think it must be common throughout Kerala.

However there is more oportunity to mix with the local villagers - they use the beach as a meeting place and the local children play cricket there. There is a shrine on the beach and the church (christian) is below the hotel on the beach and there is always the opportunity to watch the peole going to and fro - absolutely fascinating and relaxing (they are such happy, smiley folk)

4. Re: advice on beaches & hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 23:19