We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train cost Cochin to Varkala

Which Kochi (Cochin) hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
6 posts
Save Topic
train cost Cochin to Varkala

I just tried to book two train tickets (class Cc which is AC chair) from Ernakulam (Cochin) to Varkala for Feb 10, 2008. When I checked the fares it said 272 which I took to be rupees When I got to the credit card part (which did not go thru as I must have put in something wrong) it said 377.00 USD.

This sounds expensive to me for a 3 hour train ride. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
Level Contributor
3,339 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train cost Cochin to Varkala

There is no Train in India which would charge $377 even if you travel in First Class for a longest journey, any exception would for Palace on Wheels Train again which cannot be booked thru www.irctc.co.in website. So something is wrong at the transaction level. Anyhow you mentioned the transaction did not go thru so it means it was a declined transaction.

Bangalore
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train cost Cochin to Varkala

It should not cost much more than 272 rupees..I travelled a similar distance, on this sector, for about this amount in the a/c chair car.

USA
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: train cost Cochin to Varkala

Thank you Ratna Prasad and Gio1314, Getting your comments eased my mind until the train website opened again on my side of the world and I could get it straightened out. You were both right. I have our trains booked and both are very reasonable..not what I first thought.

CLOTHES: Another topic. We will be in Kochi for 4-5 days and some of that will be meeting with city officials, businessmen about a possible project art in Kochi. What is appropriate dress for a woman in that season. I realize it is considered winter in India, but do women wear seasonal clothes? In some parts of the USA even it is warmish, if it is considered winter then women wear different clothes and shoes, dress boots etc. I don't want to look stupid in really summery clothes if I should have brought "winter" clothes. Can you help?? Thanks so much.

Gypsywagon

Bangalore
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train cost Cochin to Varkala

Feb is actually quite warm in Cochin so I suggest the summer wear that you normally wear in the US would be appropriate.

UK
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: train cost Cochin to Varkala

Can I ask what the train number is of the train you have found from cochin to varkala. I am trying to make the same journey, but can't find this train schedule on the website. Alternatively what are the abbreviations of the station name and I should be able to find it that way?

Thanks

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: train cost Cochin to Varkala

Hi, you can download info on the stations/routes from indiamike.com amongst other sites, but I've booked a train from Kochi-Goa, and its stations are effectively Ernakulam Junction (ERS) or Ernakulam Town (ERN). Varkala appears to be VAK.

If you book eTickets via www.irctc.co.in you'll be given the chance of putting in your 2 stations to see what trains there are. I don't think IRCTC recognises ERS, but will just give you ERN as the station, YET, when you carry on with the process, it may then give you a train that DOES leave from ERS (which is what happened to us). You'll see all the sevices that do run, to pick the best train.

To pay at the end of the transaction, I think you should pick the top line 'Citibank' option which then gives you the chance of paying by foreign visa. I picked the second line option and it wouldn't process meaning I had to start all over again... Nationwide visa won't charge you for paying in rupees either.

Good luck. Harvey.

Varkala
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: train cost Cochin to Varkala

Hi There,

I do run a resort in Varkala called Mom Lekhas Private Homes, I know you must have reached here already. I wouldnt my extending a help if you are still looking out for some in Varkala. Thanks very much. Have a great time in Kerala.

bijoys@lekhas.com

93887 20 200

8. Re: train cost Cochin to Varkala

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 10:21
Get answers to your questions about Kochi (Cochin)