We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 night stay in Cochin...what to do?

London
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
5 night stay in Cochin...what to do?

Hi,

I am really stuck for ideas on what to do for our 5 nights we are in Cochin. There are 5 adults and 2 children (2 families). We fly into Cochin and then travelling to Goa. We are coming on the 3rd week in December. On the last day before we leave for Goa we will be leaving around 10pm in the evening so it would be nice for somewhere to put our luggage for most of the day....may a taxi tour ,with our luggage in the boot, would be ok?

I was hoping to book 2 nights in the Taj but they do not have rooms for 2 adults and 2 children left. So now we're looking around for other options.

I've read about houseboats and this seemed good. But it was recommended not to book until we get there. However, because we are coming during peak time, we do not want to end up with a bad houseboat. Also, do we do a 1/2/3 night tour? Seen pictures of luxury houseboats for 4 bedrooms which would be ideal. But I've read on these forums that they can not be trusted and we must view them before booking.

Also, the other family I am with wants to check out some of the hill stations and maybe stay overnight in a hotel before returning to Cochin.

So is this something that I can arrange from the UK or is it a case of trying to sort things out whilst we are in India? Your help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Iris Holidays
Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Carnival Tours & Travels
Boat Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Green Hope Tourism
Private Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Just Taxi Holidays
Multi-day Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Sightseeing Tours
Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,672 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 night stay in Cochin...what to do?

If you are travelling with a group to Cochin in December (peak season), please book everything ahead,*especially* houseboats, as all the good boats will get sold out.

I would recommend you look at the following hotels in Cochin in lieu of the Taj:

Brunton Boatyard

Malabar House

Old Harbour Hotel

Tea Bungalow

These are all nice places, all in Fort Kochi, close to the sightseeing.

From Cochin there are many things you can do:

- Day trip / day cruise on a houseboat, or an overnight cruise

- Overnight trip to Athirapally Falls - take a look at Rainforest Athirapally

- Visit to Kodanad Elephant Centre, the children will love it

- Go to Greenix village for an evening Kathakali show

- Spend a day sightseeing in Fort Kochi, there is a lot to do and see

Munnar is a 4-hour drive from Cochin. You could possibly go there as well. You will need at least 2 nights in Munnar for the trip to be worth it. There are plantations, hills, hiking trails and a lot of greenery.

Please ask for more specific help if you need it.

London
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 night stay in Cochin...what to do?

Hi Deepa,

Thanks for ur prompt reply. I looked at the Old Harbour but they are charging for 3 rooms at 10230, 11660 and 14200 respectively. I'll have a look at the others. Whereas Taj are half the price at 5500 per room.

Can you recommend a luxury houseboat company that are reliable?

Thanks.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,672 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 night stay in Cochin...what to do?

There is no way the Taj is 5500 per room in December.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,672 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 night stay in Cochin...what to do?

December prices in Kerala will be at their peak. If you want a premium houseboat, maybe you can try Muthoot.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 night stay in Cochin...what to do?

Perhaps Praks is referring to the Taj Residency in Ernakulam rather than Taj Malabar?

6. Re: 5 night stay in Cochin...what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2010, 22:39
india kerala kochi
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 night stay in Cochin...what to do?

Hi, House Boat www.alleppeybackwaters.com

Francis

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 night stay in Cochin...what to do?

Consider Fort Heritage in Fort Cochin. Costs around Rs 4500 / night with breakfast.

If you are considering more than 1 night in houseboat, choose Alleppey - Thottappally or Alleppey - Alumkadave the most scenic route.

And children may like to "spend a day with elephant ' in Trichur.

Cochin
Level Contributor
371 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 night stay in Cochin...what to do?

You can also a look on Hotel Dream by Hamshire

Edited: 20 July 2010, 12:42
cochin
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 night stay in Cochin...what to do?

There are many new heritage houses come up in Fort cochin can easily get booking now.....

Get answers to your questions about Kochi (Cochin)