We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arya Vaidya Sala, Kottakkal - Please Help

Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Arya Vaidya Sala, Kottakkal - Please Help

Hi all,

I am suffering for some health problems and desperate for some alternative solutions to western science.

As far as I can see, Arya Vaidya Sala in Kottakkal seems to be my best chance due to its reputation.

If anyone has been there for treatments, please can you advise of your experiences.

Also a few more questions if anyone can advise:

Is the Kottakkal branch the same as the Cochin and Ernakalam? or are they seperate?

If seperate, which is the best one for me? (i.e. not too worried about price, but ideally safe and comfortable, as I will be alone)

It looks at the moment like I will need to stay 28 days and will not be able to leave the hospital....what things do they have for time pass? Any classes/activities, at all?

What was the accomodation like?

Thanks for your help.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arya Vaidya Sala, Kottakkal - Please Help

I stayed at the Arya Vaidya Sala facility in Cochin for 3 weeks in the fall of 2010. Overall, I'd say I was incredibly disappointed. I've had Panchakarma in the US at the Ayurvedic Institute in New Mexico with Dr. Lad and loved it, but wanted a more intense, longer experience. While the treatments at Cochin were great, the doctors were clueless and didn't even know what gluten intolerance/celiac was. After being doubled over for nearly a week, one young doctor realized a preservative in their remedy contained gluten. Seriously? Then, the canteen was outsourced and there was no connection between the PK and/or doctors. Can you believe they were trying to give me Kellogg's Frosted Flakes for breakfast?!! Wrong on so many levels. Not only from my celiac perspective, but just from a health perspective. I've always done a kitchari only diet during PK and was stunned watching the other patients eating garbage and foods that are contra to their constitution during PK. It was a constant struggle getting the right food. I don't know if they have this same issue at Kottakkal, but I'd certainly check. At the end of the day, they really didn't address my health concerns and two other people at the facility actually left to a place near Bangalore that was reputed to be much better. And I'd say Dr. Lad in New Mexico is amazing. I believe you can see him in the latter part of the year in Pune India as well. Good luck!

Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arya Vaidya Sala, Kottakkal - Please Help

Hi Nahsgo,

ooh no, i narrowed it down to few and this hospital was on top of the list, it is very weird that top hospital like this dont have enough reviews like other smaller ones.

i m looking into the arya hospital coiambatore one as well. not sure what to do now. back to drawing board i guess. another issue i have with all these hospitals is that, they dont reply to the emails on time and they dont answer the questions asked in the email. very unprofessional.

thanks again , any one else have any ideas

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Arya Vaidya Sala, Kottakkal - Please Help

Check out this place

http://www.thaikatmooss.com/

Suresh P R, Thrissur

Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arya Vaidya Sala, Kottakkal - Please Help

thank you palmlandtours

Cochin(Munnar)
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Arya Vaidya Sala, Kottakkal - Please Help

hello,pls chek on *http://www.indiamike.com/india/kerala-f39/about-arya-vaidya-sala-kottakal-t128939/.it is hering a bad experience inthis poineer institute of ayurveda,in previous week Mouritious presedent and family take treatment at Kottkkal and depature was with smile.So pls do at Kottakkal head office,have good option for stay a/food with them.Its laid my own district away 1.15 hr frm my home.Dont go other centers .any help u can do a pm to me.

Copenhagen
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Arya Vaidya Sala, Kottakkal - Please Help

Here is a very informative review about AVS

indiamike.com/india/…

Best regards Kirsten

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Arya Vaidya Sala, Kottakkal - Please Help

Hi Shambav,

I understand ur delimma. I was looking for a traditional ayurvedic hospital and following reviews I have decided to to go AVS Kottakkal in Kochi. I will be there from 7/3/2013 for 3 weeks.The more I ask around the more confused I become with the mixed reviews. This is my first visit and I keeping faith that things will work out fine. Check out the "google group AVS Kochi forum discussion"(u need to google it). It might help. Good luck in your quest.

Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arya Vaidya Sala, Kottakkal - Please Help

Hi Synergy,

Thank you for your help, google group is very useful, much appreciated, let us know your thoughts on your return.

Thanks

Copenhagen
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Arya Vaidya Sala, Kottakkal - Please Help

Hi there.

I am now staying at AVS Kottakkal, the main hospital. When I arrived here 10 days ago, I was sure, I had made a mistake. Big concrete buildings, noisy, a lot of people. But now I might plan to go back next year.

You can ask me questions, if you want, but I do not have too much energi, it is a fulltime job to stay here, so do not expect long explanations.

Regards Kirsten

Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arya Vaidya Sala, Kottakkal - Please Help

Hi Kirsten,

Thank you for your email, much appreciated, we have decided to go to Arya Vaidya Hospital in Coimbatore. there are few ppl i know of had a treatment there, and thought might be safe for us there.

Thank you again, and get well soon.

Thanks

Sarmilan