We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how far in advance for booking hotels for 2nd week December?

Which Kochi (Cochin) hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
how far in advance for booking hotels for 2nd week December?

I'm planning a trip to Kerala after attending my niece's wedding in Mumbai.

My cousin has said she can make all the arrangements and I trust her. I just have to give her some sort of itinerary. I've studied the Travel Planners thread and even studied their website for possible itinerary options.

My concern from reading the threads on TA is that hotels are booked up far in advance for December. I understand that December is prime travel season, but we are going to go December 8 - 14, not so close to the holidays, and we plan to fly out of Mumbai back to the US on the 14th, ultimately. How far should we book those hotels? 3-4 star level. I don't think we can afford those 5 star ones, like the Leela.

Also, any advice re: which town should we end our Kerala itinerary before flying out would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Swati

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
239 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: how far in advance for booking hotels for 2nd week December?

Hi,

Since you have your dates now, do book now. In places like Kovalam and Munnar, you may have to go with resorts. They would not be as expensive as a 5 -star hotel. In places like Alappuzha and Kumarakom, you can avail the homestay facility. You can find a list of approved homestays in Alappuzha by searching it up on Google.

Try flying in to Trivandrum. Have a day at Trivandrum and another at Kovalam and then come down to Alappuzha. Spend two days at Alappuzha and then go to Fort Kochi (Ernakulam). From there you can go to Munnar and Thekkady. Return to Kochi for the flight back to Mumbai.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how far in advance for booking hotels for 2nd week December?

Thank you! Sounds almost perfect! I just want to put in a houseboat overnight trip in there somewhere in Alleppey (spelling?). My cousin and her hubby should be booking it, so let me see what they do in the next few days. If not, then I will do the suggestions you gave. Thanks!

Kottayam, India
Destination Expert
for Kerala
Level Contributor
6,071 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how far in advance for booking hotels for 2nd week December?

You can arrive and departure from cochin since you are having only 1 week time.i recommend to see max attractions in central kerala.south kerala can be avoided in this trip.ifypu can spend atleast3-4 days extra you may check it

.since its in december which is tourist season you can book accomadation now itself by paying some advance.a possible itinerary is

dec 8: arrival at cochin,fort cochin ss,stay

dec 9 :to munnar,ss,stay

dec 10: munnar ss,stay

dec 11: thekkady ss,stay

dec 12 : kumarakom back water resort,stay

dec 13: alapuzha ,check in house boat at 12 noon,overnight stay

dec 14:check out from houseboat at 9,proceed to cochin

ACCOMODATION OPTIONS

in munnar you may try sienna village,club mahindra,the wind,terrace green,mountain club etc

in thekkady there are couple of ktdc properties ranging from budget to luxury

in kumarakom a stay in a back water resort will be an unforgetable experience.if you can afford you can try kumarakom lake resort,coconut lagoon,vivanta by taj ,abad whispering palms etc

some top rated house boat operators are spice routes,lakes and lagoons,rainbow,river escapes,elite etc

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
383 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how far in advance for booking hotels for 2nd week December?

book as early as possible and fly back from trivandrum if your last destination is kovalam

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how far in advance for booking hotels for 2nd week December?

Thank you!!!!!

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how far in advance for booking hotels for 2nd week December?

Hi Swati,

I too suggest that as the travel dates are in peak season, you need to book the accommodations as early as possible as they will be selling out at a faster rate!

Cheers,

Arun

Travelers Point | Team Experience Kerala

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: how far in advance for booking hotels for 2nd week December?

Good to fix an itinerary at the earliest. Then you can start booking the hotels and if they are not available, you can look for alternative. Small good value hotels may have limited rooms and they would be in great demand in the season.

So hurry up.

Regards

Suresh P R

8. Re: how far in advance for booking hotels for 2nd week December?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Kochi (Cochin)