We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to travel from Tamil Nadu to Kerala now ?

San Francisco
6 posts
Save Topic
Is it safe to travel from Tamil Nadu to Kerala now ?

We have booked a trip to Thekkady and Alleppey for the end of the month. We will be coming from Tamil Nadu by a car. Unfortunately I am hearing there are some political unrest between Kerala and Tamil Nadu right now over Periyar Dam. I hear that some vehicles are set on fire near the border.

Is it safe to make this trip now or should we cancel the trip ?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks !

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to travel from Tamil Nadu to Kerala now ?

Why don't you also try Lonely Planet and India MIke?

chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras)
Level Contributor
4,065 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to travel from Tamil Nadu to Kerala now ?

hi saroSF,

what you mentioned is true and we hope the situation to be improved soon, till today the vehicles are blocked en route to thekkady from Tamil nadu , but since you are going to travel only in Dec end, as there are 15-17 days ahead wait till situation improves.

Otherwise you may opt to change other destinations apart from thekkady, and may opt for train journey which is safe.

Around 2000 police personnel deployed at kumily which is in tamil nadu border of kerala.

Thousands of pilgrims ( who visit sabari mala a famous Hindu temple at kerala every year) cancelled their trip at kumily and returned back.

with regards,

Alen_10

Thekkady, India
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to travel from Tamil Nadu to Kerala now ?

From a safety perspective, there is no problem in being in Thekkady/Kumily. The problem at the moment is that Tamils are blocking access roads in the towns and cities on the Tamil side. There is no way that this will continue because it is probably more damaging for local Tamil farmers who can't sell their produce to Kerala than it is for Kerala.

In short, as suggested, If it was me I would wait and see.

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
81 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to travel from Tamil Nadu to Kerala now ?

I would suggest to wait and see as you have two weeks in hand. The situation will come to peace soon as it is damaging the growth of both the places. All this is political drama and it will be resolved.

engalnd
Level Contributor
29 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to travel from Tamil Nadu to Kerala now ?

I am travelling out to kerala on Friday 16th Dec with my young familiy. We will be going to Cochi, munnar, periyar, Madurai,thekkady and then Kumarakom.

Slightly worried now.

San Francisco
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to travel from Tamil Nadu to Kerala now ?

Thanks everyone for ur responses, I will keep monitoring the conditions. Please do keep us informed.

Thanks again.

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe to travel from Tamil Nadu to Kerala now ?

CoreyEngland,

Better to have a choice ready incase, you have to cancel the trip to Madurai. Keep an alternatibe route just in case, some thing like Munnar - Parambikulam - Trichur - Kumarakom.

Suresh P R

Palmland Tours, Kerala.

Thekkady, India
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe to travel from Tamil Nadu to Kerala now ?

****We will be going to Cochi, munnar, periyar, Madurai,thekkady and then Kumarakom.****

If this is your route (Periyar and Thekkady is the same place so a little confusing), and you are traveling by taxi, going to Madurai is not an option because, presumably, your taxi will be from Kerala, i.e. with a Kerala number plate. No taxi driver from Kerala will be willing to go into Tamil Nadu because there is a real risk that his vehicle will be destroyed.

The latest border news is this: thehindu.com/news/…article2704279.ece

Nothing much happening on the Kerala side. Lots of police, and the activities in Periyar Tiger Reserve are suspended temporarily.

chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras)
Level Contributor
4,065 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe to travel from Tamil Nadu to Kerala now ?

Hi everbody,

what indhiravanam mentioned as "no problem inside kumily" is absolute false, yesterday all shops were closed in that area and I do not know on what basis he mentioned as "no problem" ?

I mentioned this only to enlighten travelers for the sake of their safety, do NOT consider it as politicization of the issue.

with regards,

Alen_10

Edited: 11 December 2011, 05:03
Thekkady, India
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe to travel from Tamil Nadu to Kerala now ?

The shops were closed = danger or a problem.

I hope you can see the faulty logic? Shops are also closed on holidays, days of strike etc.

You should also notice that my comment was made before yesterday's events. Therefore it can, by definition, not be false since for a statement to be false it has to have been made in bad faith and after the events that you are referring to.

The shops were closed yesterday because the police ordered the shops to be closed. The police ordered the shops to closed because there were a significant number of Tamils demonstrating in Tamil Nadu on the mountain road between Lower Camp in Tamil Nadu and Kumily in Kerala. The logic behind closing the shops was that crowd control is paramount in a situation where there is the possibility of unrest, and closing the shops meant that there would be fewer people in the area of potential conflict. In short, a smart move.

The fact is that Kumily is heavily policed as is the Tamil side of the border. There is always a risk in situations like this, but the fact remains that there is no problem on the Kerala side of the border.

With reference to a previous post, Periyar Tiger Reserve is open again.