We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel to Thekkady

Noida, India
Level Contributor
56 posts
225 reviews
Save Topic
travel to Thekkady

Dear DEs

I am going to Kodaikanal with my wife on 16-17 October . We want to spend one day/night in Thekkady on 18-19 October .

My questions :

Distance and driving time in early morning hours from Kodai to T'kady and the places/attractions we can visit in the afternoon on 18 October.

Mentioned in this post
Kodaikanal
Kodaikanal
Dindigul District, India
Thekkady
Thekkady
Idukki District, India
chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras)
Level Contributor
4,589 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel to Thekkady

Hi Dr Arun A,

Disrance is around 150 km and it will take around 4-5 hours driving For attractions search at this Thekkady forum as there were plenty of discussion

regards,

Alen_10

Mentioned in this post
Thekkady
Thekkady
Idukki District, India
Noida, India
Level Contributor
56 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel to Thekkady

Thanks for the prompt response .

India
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel to Thekkady

Suruli falls is in Tamilnadu side, just before reaching Kumali/Thekkady on your way from Kodaikanal. But I heard about few stary incidents of chain snatching there. Ladies are requested to hide the ornaments. Or move along with group of people.

Mentioned in this post
Kodaikanal
Kodaikanal
Dindigul District, India
Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, Thekkady
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel to Thekkady

Hi Dr Arun A,

Suggest you dig a little deeper into this forum as we have discussed things to do in Thekkady very recently.

Regards

Prasanna

Mentioned in this post
Thekkady
Thekkady
Idukki District, India
Noida, India
Level Contributor
56 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel to Thekkady

Thank you Mr Prasanna . I have done that , have read several posts made in this Forum on the subject, including the valuable ones made by you .Our problem is that we are arriving at Thekkady on 18th October at 12.30 PM and leaving on 19th early morning for Madurai, so we are not able to decide what to do, and what not to, except for the 4 PM boat ride on the Periyar Lake .

Mentioned in this post
Thekkady
Thekkady
Idukki District, India
Madurai
Madurai
Madurai District, India
Periyar Lake
Periyar Lake
1,676 Reviews
Thekkady, India
Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
682 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel to Thekkady

hello Dr.Arun

if you are coming in 12.30pm after lunch you can visit spice garden , elephant riding , wild life sanctuary by boat on 4pm . in the evening Ayurveda massages and watch kathakali,kalaripayattu 6pm .

kindly revert for more.

regards

KERALA DAYZ

Noida, India
Level Contributor
56 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel to Thekkady

Dear Keraladayz :

Reading through various posts in this Forum, I understand that the last boat trip is at 3.30 PM and that we have to stand in a queue at the ticket counter to buy our tickets , one hour ( or more) before .

So can we cover the visit to Spice garden and go for the elephant ride in time to be able to reach the ticket counter by 2.30 PM ? We are going to stay at the Sterling Woods n Spice Resort . Thank you for your time .

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travel to Thekkady

Hi Dr.Arun,

You can do all the important "things to do" of Thekkady in the time span you have mentioned. My suggestion to you would be, assuming you reach Thekkady by 12.30 PM, is as follows,

12.30 PM - Check in, relax for maybe half an hour.

01.00 PM - Lunch at Hotel Ambady/Arya Bhavan

02.00 PM - Head to Elephant Junction or place of your choice for Elephant Safari.

03.30 PM - Spice Plantation tour

05.00 PM - Short break for relaxation and enroute buy the tickets for the Kalari Show.

05.30 PM - Window shopping at Thekkady/Kumily spice shops. My choice was Lords

07.00 PM - Kalari show. If interested continue for the tribal dance program.

09.00 PM - Dinner

Next day,

06.00 AM - Leave for boating and return for breakfast to resort by 9.30 AM. Pack and check out.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Prasanna

Mentioned in this post
Thekkady
Thekkady
Idukki District, India
Elephant Junction - Day Tours
Elephant Junction - Day...
970 Reviews
Thekkady, India
Kumily
Kumily
Thekkady, India
Noida, India
Level Contributor
56 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travel to Thekkady

Dear Mr Prasanna : The programme suggested by you really looks doable , by shifting the boat ride to next day early morning . I think that it will save us sometime if we proceeded directly for lunch on our arrival at Thekkady and check in at the Resort thereafter. I am saving your post on my Thekkady travel folder on the TA site .

We have to take the 3.00 PM flight from Madurai Airport . I suppose we can get there in time if we check out around 9.30 AM ?

Mentioned in this post
Thekkady
Thekkady
Idukki District, India
Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: travel to Thekkady

Yes... Since the boating is a fixed time affair, if you plan it for day 1, you will no be able to see anything else, as you need to be at the boat landing at least one hour in advance. It will get dark for you to see anything after that. Hence, if you follow the above plan, you would be able to comfortably cover most of Thekkady's "must dos" in day 1 and also finish the spice shopping as you might not have time the next day. Buy spices only in the market area and not in the plantation tour. Also, the morning boat ride is supposedly the best and be informed that they will issue only 2 tickets per individual. So, half the number of people need to go to buy the tickets, if going very early, as they can come back to the room and pick up the rest after purchase of tickets.

Plan to leave Thekkady by 10.00 AM, which will give you scope to have lunch midway at Theni or Periakulam.

Mentioned in this post
Thekkady
Thekkady
Idukki District, India
Get answers to your questions about Thekkady