We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rail travel

London England
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Rail travel

We are staying in Kovalam.February 2010 We would like to visit Cochin preferably by train. Any advice about costs, how to obtain tickets, where to stay etc would be appreciated.

Holland
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rail travel

You will need to take the train from Trivandrum to Ernakulem,

2625 KERALA EXPRESS P Trivandrum Central 11.15 Ernakulem Junction 15.30 travel Time 04.15hrs

Runs Daily

Costs

2AC Rs 471

3AC Rs 355

SL Rs 147

You can buy tickets online at the following http://www.cleartrip.com/trains

Or ask an agent in Kovalam to organise this for youshould only cost 100-150Rps

Trains book out so try and allow for tha by booking early..

From Ernakulem Cochin island is about 15 minutes by public ferry

London England
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rail travel

Cyberhippie, thanks for the prompt reply and information.

kerala
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Rail travel

Hi,

why can't you try for indian railway website....www.indianrail.gov.in

they have published all shedules of train starts from different stations...

4. Re: Rail travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2010, 14:53
Sheffield, United...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Rail travel

Hi

I am going to Kerala November 2010. I intend to go by train to Goa. Has anyone booked on line for tickets is it straight forward. Where are the train stations in Kerala and Goa. I am traveling with my wife and daughter.

Cheers

Sean

Holland
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rail travel

Where do leave from in Kerala, it's a mighty big state.

You can take the Train from Kannur, Calicut, (North Kerala) Trichur, Ernakulem, Allapuzzfa (Mid Kerala) Kollam Varkala Travandrum and Nagercoil (South kerala.

There are trains to the following places in Goa, Margao,(mid Goa) Thivim, Pernem (North Goa)or Canacona, (South Goa)

Booking online is very easy and if you are sure of your dates then it makes sense to book online.

Only difficulty you might have, is the names of the stations are sometimes other than the newer modern name for the town. (for instance Margao in Goa is known as Madgaon for train purposes, or Quilon Jn is the train station for Kollam))But you can always ask here if you get confused.

This is the best of the bunch as far as I'm concerned

http://www.cleartrip.com/trains

Just give me a shout if you need any further help.

Holland
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rail travel

You are aware I take it that the train from say Cochin (central Kerala,railhead Ernakulem) takes about 13.30hrs to 15 hours to Margao in Central Goa, It's quite a haul if your not used to long train jouneys.

India
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rail travel

Hello UK ,

You'll be going to Goa from Mumbai by train?

Refer www.irctc.co.in web-site of Indian rail way board which is too easy to check trains between station,it shows router + fare + availibility of trains.

www.indianrail.gov.in is main site but it's complicated their.

Just use Goole Earth to see Kerala state and cities so that you can put them to search for trains from Pnajim city in Goa to Kerala.

1 of my friend is going to Sheffield University.,UK this October for Masters. B-)

Regards,

Amey.

Cochin
Level Contributor
369 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rail travel

www.southernrailway.org

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Rail travel

It looks easy to book train tickets on Cleartrip - but:

Is a paper, or electronic ticket issued ?

Once in India does the reservation need to be reconfirmed locally?

Can a foreigner buy over 60's tickets?

Finally, if I book air tickets and make hotel reservations now for travel next February am I likely to experience any difficulties getting train resevations, which I understand open 90 days before travel.

I want to travel as follows:

Cochin-Kota

Jodpur-Jaisalmer

Jaisalmer-Jaipur

Agra-Varanasi

Varanasi-Delhi

All 1st class, or closest available.

Get answers to your questions about Thiruvananthapuram...