We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Tickets

Which Varkala hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
384 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Train Tickets

Hi there, last night my husband and I sat on the computer for hours trying to buy train tickets from kochi to varkala for our upcoming trip. We went through the process of registering with IRCTC and Cleartrip following every step but as we dont have an indian mobile number, like a lot of travellers stories I have been reading the process failed because we can't access a mobile OTP. We have sent an email with a return stating we will receive ve it shortly but have heard from others they have been waiting 3 weeks. We will be in kochi in 3 weeks. This seems a ridiculous stressful process just to buy train tickets through a booking service. My question is would organising a taxi through our homestay once we arrive in kochi be an easier although a more expensive option. We have accommodation booked in varkala after a 3 day stay in kochi so need to get there.

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Tickets

Hello,

A taxi will be costly It will cost around Rs 1500/- per day. You will get plenty of buses to Varkala from Cochin.

( No direct bus though).Which date you want to travel?

Cheers,

Arun

Team Experience Kerala

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
384 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Tickets

Thanks Arun, will be arriving kochi 3rd September and leaving for Varkala 7th September.

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Tickets

There are plenty of trains from Cochin to Varkala. Just 4 hours trip. You can ask your hotel to reserve a ticket, when you are in Cochin.

Suresh P R

UK
Destination Expert
for Varkala
Level Contributor
8,429 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Tickets

There is a "sticky" right at the top of the India Forums which explains the process for registering with Cleartrip and IRCTC. Here is the link.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293860-i511-k57…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
384 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Tickets

Thanks lgirl but we finally managed to get through to cleartrip and have booked our tickets!!

UK
Destination Expert
for Varkala
Level Contributor
8,429 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Tickets

That's good:)

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Tickets

That's great to know!!!

Cheers,

Arun

Team Experience Kerala

8. Re: Train Tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2014, 13:02
Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
931 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Train Tickets

Good to know that you have booked the ticket. However in case you need to travel between different places in Kerala , you can always opt for day trains which is the cheaper option than taxi. Most of these trains have need reservations which you can book 2-3 days before and you can take an A/C chair car seat

Trivandrum
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Train Tickets

Kochi to Varkala by road will be around 170kms. You can also check out the lakes and backwaters in Alleppy and a ride on house boats. Alleppy is in between Kochi and Varkala ....some 50kms from Kochi. Have a nice trip !!!