We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay for one month in March 2015

5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best place to stay for one month in March 2015

Hi. Can anyone help me. I have stayed twice in Goa at Palolem beach and loved it. However I want to try somewhere else now. Thought varkala would be good. I want to stay for one month. I want a room with a really good view to sit out on etc and read. Also I want to be able to afford a month. Where should I head for. Approx how much for a month

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
Palolem
Palolem
Canacona, India
Kottayam, India
Destination Expert
for Kerala
Level Contributor
6,263 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stay for one month in March 2015

Hi

Varkala is a good choice to stay for a month

You should get descent rooms from rs 1000-1500 per night

UK
Destination Expert
for Varkala
Level Contributor
10,104 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stay for one month in March 2015

When you say you want a room with a really good view does this mean you want a sea view or are you not bothered with a sea view?

There are several areas to stay in Varkala. There is the main cliff area overlooking the sea where there is accommodation and also some further back from the cliff. The quiet south cliff has more accommodation now but it is on the roads behind the cliff. Then there is the Black Beach area. This is fairly quiet but there is more and more accommodation being built all the time here.

If you stay on the cliff area there is access to the beach via sets of steep steps. Accommodation at Black Beach is at sea level. The Beach there is very small; more like a bay really.

What sort of accommodation are you looking for and what price do you want to pay per night?

Kerala, India
Destination Expert
for Kumarakom, Alappuzha, Kochi (Cochin), Kerala
Level Contributor
2,676 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stay for one month in March 2015

March is towards the end of tour season but less tourist in comparison with the previous months

As Igirl mentioned above it would be good to have an idea of your budget

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stay for one month in March 2015

Thanks very much to those that replied. I really want a great sea view. Was told to go to odyam beach but not sure if it will be too quiet. Though I don't want to party either. Ideally I want to be actually on the beach. I am an artist so a really good view is a must. My budget is about £15 to £20 a night max but was hoping for a reduction for a month. Would it be better to go in feb or March. What airport do I go to. I am coming from London.

Kottayam, India
Destination Expert
for Kerala
Level Contributor
6,263 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stay for one month in March 2015

The nearest airport is trivandrum

March will be more hot & humid than in february and better to be in february

Igirl will be able to select the best accomodation for you

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to stay for one month in March 2015

Thanks for your reply. Where would be the very best location to stay for sea view as close to beach as possible. Preferably on it. Is varkala the best option. I really want to just chill for a month and read and paint not too far from action, restaurants etc

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to stay for one month in March 2015

Thank you very much. Will go in feb then. Are the prices much higher

Kottayam, India
Destination Expert
for Kerala
Level Contributor
6,263 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to stay for one month in March 2015

Hi

Fortunately February and March rates are same

UK
Destination Expert
for Varkala
Level Contributor
10,104 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to stay for one month in March 2015

I personally don't find the weather any different in February or March but perhaps if I lived there all the time I would:) I think it would be easier to strike a bargain on a room rate in March rather than February and the later the better in March. But you never know. It will depend on how busy Varkala is.

The only place I know right on the beach is the Marine Palace on the Papanasam Beach. I cannot comment on the place as I have not stayed there. Here is a link.

http://www.varkalamarine.com/

Further on at Black Beach (Odayam) there are a number of places near to the sea but not on the beach. It is not possible to build on that beach. Here is a list of Varkala hotels which include some at Odayam.

I think all of Varkala is pretty low key compared to some tourist places in India. As I said previously Black beach area will be quieter than say the main cliff area but even then that is pretty sedate. If you wish to stay at Black Beach you will have a 10 minute or so walk to the main cliff area.

Maybe a good idea would be to book something for a couple of nights and have a look round when you are there. I am sure you would find something to suit. Also being on the spot you should be able to haggle for a good rate:))

I do know several places in your budget range but they don't come with the sea view you want.

Mentioned in this post
Varkala Marine Palace
Varkala Marine Palace
417 Reviews
Varkala, India
Kerala, India
Destination Expert
for Kumarakom, Alappuzha, Kochi (Cochin), Kerala
Level Contributor
2,676 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place to stay for one month in March 2015

i would also agree to the suggestion made above , by Igirl

book for your first few nights

and then while you are there you could find a stay at the budget and with the view you have mentioned

it works best

yes ! March would be beter in that case than Feb. as the tour season ends you get a beter bargain and especially for long staying guests