We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

alcohol

england
Level Contributor
84 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
alcohol

Is it still possible to drink alcohol in Kerala. When we went a few years ago we could get a drink,albeit with newspaper wrapped around the bottle, but have recently read on another forum that Kerala is to become a completely dry state.

Doha, Qatar
Destination Expert
for Doha, Kerala
Level Contributor
11,933 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: alcohol

UkWelsh, I never said that alcohol is good. I only said it is something not to be imposed. Coming to the dreadful side, we have seen many liquor tragedies in our state. With this prohibition I fear that's going to happen again. That's the reason I said it should not be imposed. KeralaBabu has said it well.

Why is it not imposed in UK? Why US implemented and withdrew prohibition? Look at Saudi Arabia, which has prohibition with stricter rules. But, illicit liquor (which is more dangerous) is easily available there.

I do have more knowledge on the local politics and that's the reason for my post. We really know the intentions behind this prohibition.

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: alcohol

As a regular visitor to Kerala and Varkala I agree that action is required to tackle alcohol abuse in the state .However I doubt that the move towards total prohibition will work without introducing more grafts and corruption. In the long run the best way is to reduce demand by education rather than by totally banning the drug. A twin track approach of education, light touch legislation and taxation is I think the way to go.

The reduction in tobacco consumption in Europe appears to have been achieved by education, restricting public smoking and increasing taxation. Even this approach has caused problems with tobacco smuggling but there has been a substantial reduction in the number of people smoking. If you totally ban the purchase of a drug and take it outside the law you lose the ability to control the trade and open the gate for corruption. The failure to control hard drugs with a total ban has lead to massive increase in consumption compaired with, in the UK, the previousbposition where the problem was managed without criminalisation. The gainers have been thee criminals and those in the police/ justice machine. There has recently been some discussion as to the decrimilization of hard drugs though I suspect it will be a considerable time before this happens.

Having several times watched policeman being paid off by bar owners on the cliff at Varkala I suspect than access to "frothy tea" will continue while the police take will increase. However the tourist industry is going to take a hit as the news filters out into main stream tourism and for Brits whose visa costs are substantial (due to retaliation against UK government policy) its a further disincentive to visit. Introduction of alcohol certificates won't do much to ameloriate the problem. Outside the tourist sector the scope for political and police corruption is likely to cause lots of problems while the alcohol problem won't be substantially reduced. Kerala has competition from Karnataka, Goa, Thailand, Malaysia, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, The Phillippines and South Korea

Is the exemption of 5* hotels because that's where the politicians drink or is there a warped view that rich people don't abuse alcohol?

I admit I enjoy an evening beer on the cliff and will have a bottle of gin in the apartment for a G&T and rum for a cubalibre. The ban won't affect me too much as my duty free should last for the 6 weeks I will be there especially as I will be visiting friends in Pannur so can get off the Tellicherry Pannur bus as it passes Mahe . I may also be seen in the queue of shame for some beer from the "Offie" in Varkala but if it's worse than usual I'll get an auto driver to go for me.

I'll be interested to see what happens in the next two years.

Doha, Qatar
Destination Expert
for Doha, Kerala
Level Contributor
11,933 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: alcohol

HertsOldie, I totally agree with your views on prohibition and how it should be brought about. Unfortunately, our politicians doesn't have the capacity to think. If not alcohol, they are addicted to many other vices.

Kottayam, India
Destination Expert
for Kerala
Level Contributor
6,238 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: alcohol

appreciate your though heirts oldie .

we still waiting to see what's going to happen due to ban.

Edited: 31 August 2014, 15:41
Thiruvananthapuram...
Level Contributor
3 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: alcohol

according new law it will happen 2023

Kottayam, India
Destination Expert
for Kerala
Level Contributor
6,238 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: alcohol

yes Toasi

according to current situation,complete ban will happens only by 2023.

Kottayam, India
Destination Expert
for Kerala
Level Contributor
6,238 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: alcohol

Update : All bars except 5 starts will be closed on Sep 12

UK
Level Contributor
9,230 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: alcohol

Thanks Arun. I have emailed the Mascot in Trivandrum to see if their bar will close as they do not have a five star rating. Will be interesting to hear what they have to say.

Kottayam, India
Destination Expert
for Kerala
Level Contributor
6,238 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: alcohol

Hi Igirl,

I guess they will also be closed. Eventhough its a govt property,there will be protest from bar owners if any other bars under 5 star are opened and i dont think Govt will allow it to open

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
383 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: alcohol

Whilst I don't go on holiday to get drunk, I do enjoy being able to have a drink.

Given the update that non-5 star bars will close by 12th September, as I'm going in December, what resort should I look at?

Get answers to your questions about Varkala