We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ajanta caves with a bad knee

jaipur
Level Contributor
226 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Ajanta caves with a bad knee

Hi, How steep is the climb to Ajanta caves from the drop off point ? How much time does it take to reach the caves? Is it possible for a person with knee problems to walk up to the caves? Is there any winch or ropeway to access the caves? Wondering whether to just confine my visit to Ellora caves. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you Kumar

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
38,061 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ajanta caves with a bad knee

Kumar,

You need not climb all the steps at a time for Ajanta caves. The flights are staggered. There are flat paths after every climb, so you'll get rest between the flights. There are spaces to seat. The main caves can be covered in 2 hrs approx.

Edited: 28 February 2012, 11:42
jaipur
Level Contributor
226 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ajanta caves with a bad knee

Thank you.Shall take it slow and easy. I guess it would be a pity to miss the caves after going all the way to Aurangabad..400 steps to Daulatabad fort is too much for me. Skipping that .

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
38,061 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ajanta caves with a bad knee

Kumar

Take your own time, make it at slow pace. Don't go with the group, because you need more time there. Don't miss Ajanta after reaching Aurangabad. Daulatabad Fort is worth sight but can be excluded, considering your knee condition.

Edited: 28 February 2012, 12:40
jaipur
Level Contributor
226 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ajanta caves with a bad knee

Thank you AshisRoy. Took your advice and did it slow and easy. The caves were truly fabulous especially cave no 26 ,made the climb worthwhile.

India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,061 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ajanta caves with a bad knee

kumarjaipur

Thats a great news indeed. I feel extremely happy knowing that my suggestion worked-out.

AshisRoy

Edited: 06 March 2012, 14:18
6. Re: Ajanta caves with a bad knee

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 22:41