We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monsoon in Pune

Brisbane
1 post
Save Topic
Monsoon in Pune

Hi, I've got a possible job/traineeship opportunity in Pune in August-October this year, which I gather is the monsoon season?

What is the monsoon like in Pune? I'm a bit worried about sanitation and malaria/mosquitoes. What precautions should I take?

I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Hong Kong
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monsoon in Pune

The Monsoon season, in my opinion, is the BEST time to visit Poona. My parents live there and I usually shoose July or August to visit them. As I write this, the monsoon has broken over Poona and the weather, by all accounts is lovely. It does not rain all day every day, like it does in Bombay, although there is the occasional heavy shower. It is more like drizzly afternoons and cloudy the rest of the day. All this, coupled with Poona's natural dryness and altitude, makes for a naturally air-conditioned climate during the rainy season. You can expect max day temps of about 28 and night temps of about 20-21. Really marvellous weather and much better than the winter when it gets dusty and even cold on occasion.

You should definitely take some innoculations before going. Typhoid, tetanus, polio and Hep A and B are standard precautions.

Have a great time in Poona!

Hong Kong
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monsoon in Pune

Sorry, forgot to mention malaria. I have not actually heard of anyone contacting malaria in Pune itself. Mosquitoes are scarce during the monsoon season but they return in some parts of the city in October. Best to take the usual precautions - anti-mosquito spray or lotion in the evenings - use Odomos - a local brand and the best - and don't leave vast areas of skin exposed at dusk. No major sanitation problems as far as I know - western-style flush toilets have been in use since the early part of the 20th century - and most parts of the city are relatively clean.

Kansas City, MO
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monsoon in Pune

I'm in Pune at the moment and I was really worried about malaria and bugs as well. We are in a nice hotel (Le Meridien) and I haven't seen a mosquito inside at all. When we flew into Pune there were a lot of mosquitos in/out sie the airport. We used 100% DEET bug spray and are taking Malarone. I haven't gotten bit yet and used a lot of bug spray when outdoors. We went to our Dr. and got all of the shots and perscriptions. The malarone is a pill you take once daily and we also got some anti-diarrea pills (just in case). We've been here 2 weeks and it's all gone well. I was nervous too, but it's a neat opportunity.

New York
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Monsoon in Pune

I am off to Pune next week to study yoga. Do you recommend any must have items to bring? I am thinking clothing etc. Thanks!

Pune, India
Destination Expert
for Pune
Level Contributor
500 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monsoon in Pune

The monsoon season is a nice time to be in Pune. As HKtraveller as written it does not rain like Mumbai and temperature wise is very pleasant.

Take the usual precautions applying mosquito repellant cream. Ideally you should consult your doctor and start a course of chloroquine or mefloquine a week before your arrival here.

This year the rains have been playing hide and seek and with predictions of a delayed monsoon we appear to be in for a severe water shortage.

Sorry have been away and not been online for a while now,therefore the late reply!

6. Re: Monsoon in Pune

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2010, 05:15