We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ranthambore Park ? questions

St-lambert
Level Contributor
922 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Ranthambore Park ? questions

Hello

I may travel from Bundi to Agra, but seem the travel time is too long, was propose to stop at Ranthambore, I have red that the main sights is the Ntl Park, but I plan to do one in South India anyway. If I skip Ranthambore do I miss something or is Bundi drive Agra doable ?

Thank you

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,473 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ranthambore Park ? questions

Ranthambhore is very different from the parks in the South, usually in the South you cannot see tigers. The terrain is also different, Ranthambhore is a dry deciduous forest whereas in the South they have tropical evergreen or semi evergreen. If you can pack in a couple of safaris you should do it! Why miss a chance to see the tiger?

Jaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Rajasthan, Jodhpur, Sawai Madhopur, Ranthambore National Park, Jaipur
Level Contributor
3,187 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ranthambore Park ? questions

The drive will be too long

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,473 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ranthambore Park ? questions

If you want to skip Ranthambhore you can take the overnight passenger train to Agra: 1771 HALDIGHATI PASS departs BUDI 17.50 arrives AF 06.05.

There is actually a train to Bharatpur from Bundi, 2964 MEWAR EXPRESS BUDI 22.48 BTE 03.14, it arrives at that crazy hour, but if you have someone reliable waiting at that end, you can drive 1 hour to Agra, get early check in / extra day at a hotel, then see the Taj at dawn.

St-lambert
Level Contributor
922 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ranthambore Park ? questions

Hello

Are we saying that If I plan to visit Nagarhole Ntl Park near Mysore in South India, I won't see tigers ?

Sylvain

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,473 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ranthambore Park ? questions

As someone who has visited Nagarhole twice, I'd say the possibility is lower (much lower) than Ranthambhore. It's the nature of the jungle, it is thick and lush, whereas Ranthambhore is less dense. I haven't seen either tiger or leopard in Nagarhole. I have seen elephants, gaur, deer, monkeys, a wide variety of bird species, jackal, mongoose, wild dogs...

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
8,032 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ranthambore Park ? questions

Realistically speaking, what are the chances of spotting a tiger in Ranthambore? 1 in 3, 1 in 20..?

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,473 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ranthambore Park ? questions

I've been there twice, did not spot first time, although *everyone* else in our hotel did!! Most frustrating.

The second time I had incredible sighting. We watched a 45-minute hunt in progress, fantastic, once-in-a-lifetime experience. And apart from that we saw tigers sitting not even 20 feet from our jeep.

Among all parks in the country, I'd say Kanha, Bandhavgarh and Ranthambhore offer the best tiger sighting chances. Corbett offers a very good diverse wildlife experience with varied vegetation. Kabini and Nagarhole are great elephant/gaur sanctuaries, Kabini has the added attraction of the river and bird life.

But these are all sweeping generalisations. Finally, it is the goddess of luck, if she smiles on you, you will have fantastic sighting.

India
Level Contributor
171 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ranthambore Park ? questions

Let me assure you that your chances of seeing a tiger are better in Ranthambhore, where due to the nature of terrain, water bodies & concentration of herbivores the sightings have been very good. The tiger population is healthy.

As for a Bundi >> Agra drive, it is simply too much! The Bundi > Swaimadhopur road via Indergarh is interesting but takes about 4 hours.It is a remote area & you will see sights from medieval past. The fortress of Indergarh affords photogenic views of it's towers & finely carved balconies...the Hara Rajput stands tall amongst the local tanned tribes with his equiline aryan features, sharp & peircing eyes & flowing beard!

I am told of a new highway between Kota & Sawaimodhopur which further moves on towards Kanpur??...I wonder if it hits Bundi & reduces the travel time.

The road from Sawaimadhopur to Agra will consume a good 5 hours. It is single & uneven till Dausa, from whence you hit the main Jaipur > Agra highway.

Imo Bundi>Sawaimadhopur>Agra should be avoided.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
8,032 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ranthambore Park ? questions

OOH, now I'm interested! Can anyone recommend a good safari operator in Ranthambore?

Holland
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ranthambore Park ? questions

Visited once and saw a tiger, so pretty good odds. The hillside fort is also worth a look and for once it FREE!!

Beware of the marauding monkeys around the Ganesh temple they'll rob you blind if you give them a chance.

It being a Ganesh temple there are also rats everywhere like the more famous Karni Mata temple in Deshnok, Rajasthan.

Rats are the vehicle or attendants to the God Ganesh and as such are revered by the faithful and allowed free reign within or near to the temple.

All very interesting.

Safaris can be arranged via you hotel quite easily but the number of jeeps is limitied to the park so booking ahead to avoid disappinment is a good idea.

Plenty hotel ideas in the Lonely Planet/Footprint/Rough Guide, you can look at reviews online but I've found the opinionated nature of these reviews are often misleading, or manipulated by hoteliers themsleves, posting false reviews.