We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving: Udaipur, Jodhpur and Jaisalmer... sights inbetween?

Boston
Level Contributor
20 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Driving: Udaipur, Jodhpur and Jaisalmer... sights inbetween?

Hello All,

We'll be driving between Udaipur, Jodhpur and Jaisalmer in a private car. While all the major cities are well documented, can anyone give tips for a photographer to shoot stuff in between these cities? Something a photographer would really love to capture would be great.

Thanks!

Boston
Level Contributor
20 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving: Udaipur, Jodhpur and Jaisalmer... sights inbetween?

Anyone?

Udaipur
Level Contributor
387 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving: Udaipur, Jodhpur and Jaisalmer... sights inbetween?

Hi

The Drives across Rajasthan are so Beautiful , u would love to capture the ongoing life on the highways.

The Different Vibrant colours, the Rural life, some wildlife along the Udaipur Jodhpur route,

Ask your operator to cover both Ranakpur and Majestic Kumbhalgarh Fort would be good places for photographs although it would take full day for your to reach Jodhpur if u stop at both the places

Cheers

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,585 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving: Udaipur, Jodhpur and Jaisalmer... sights inbetween?

Ah, this is a nice newbie question :) Obviously this is your first trip to India :)

Between Jodhpur and Udaipur you are in the Aravalli hills, which are picturesque and beautiful. Amidst the greenery you will find many scenes of rustic charm to photograph. One of the pleasures of a driving tour is that you can stop and wander and photograph whatever you like - villages, farming, goats/sheep on the highway, camels, women, everything photographs brilliantly under the Indian sun, the sky is a great blue, which explains why there are so many outstanding India photos out there.

Towards Jaisalmer, you have a different sort of terrain, drier and more desert. But the same sort of colour and exuberance is there everywhere.

Best time is mornings when the light is very good. By afternoon it gets hot and the sky also turns white and the light turns harsh. So leave the cities early for good photography.

- Deepa

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving: Udaipur, Jodhpur and Jaisalmer... sights inbetween?

A couple of things come to mind. If you drive from Udaipur to the Kumbulgarh/Ranakpur area, there is a fascinating rural area where water is still raised by a type of waterwheel, powered by Buffalo, where pots descend is a loop down into the water and then up the other side full, presumably for irrigation. I would have thought there would be good opportunities for photographs and of course the general rural scenery, full of colourful women, animals, children etc.

Secondly, why not explore a day or more with the Hacra organisation near Osian, between Jodhpur and Jaisalmer. Here you can travel in completely unspoilt semi-desert communities, which seem hardly to have been touched by 19th and 20th Century technology and not at all by tourism. There are opportunities for wildlife photographs also, with an abundance of antelopes.

Jaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Rajasthan, Jodhpur, Sawai Madhopur, Ranthambore National Park, Jaipur
Level Contributor
3,229 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving: Udaipur, Jodhpur and Jaisalmer... sights inbetween?

Are you a people photographer or a places photographer?

Boston
Level Contributor
20 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving: Udaipur, Jodhpur and Jaisalmer... sights inbetween?

I'm a people and places photographer. :)

I've been to india before, twice actually, but only Kolkata. Why do you say that i must be a newbie? Is that too long a drive or something?

Thanks!

Boston
Level Contributor
20 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving: Udaipur, Jodhpur and Jaisalmer... sights inbetween?

Thanks for the suggestions folks..

Boston
Level Contributor
20 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving: Udaipur, Jodhpur and Jaisalmer... sights inbetween?

We were also thinking of stopping by the Abhaneri well. Anyone think this is not worth a stop? We do plan to stop at Ranakpur, for sure...

Jaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Rajasthan, Jodhpur, Sawai Madhopur, Ranthambore National Park, Jaipur
Level Contributor
3,229 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving: Udaipur, Jodhpur and Jaisalmer... sights inbetween?

Abhaneri is not on the route from Udaipur to Jodhpur to Jaisalmer.

I assume you are doing the trip in several days as you can not do it in one day. I suggest you follow this route - Udaipur - Kumbhalgarh - Ranakpur - Narlai - Jojawar - Marwar Junction - Sardar Smanad - Jodhpur-Osian - Ramdeora- Pokharan-Jaisalmer

Boston
Level Contributor
20 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving: Udaipur, Jodhpur and Jaisalmer... sights inbetween?

Sorry i should have stated we are starting in Delhi, then Agra, then the Rajasthan portion. So we can stop off NH11 to Abhaneri.

We are spending 2 nights in each city in rajasthan. So we'll be making decent stops in between.