We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rajasthan Trip

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Rajasthan Trip

We plan to visit Rajasthan around November 2010. Would appreciate input regarding itinerary covering the major cities including Sawai Madhopore for 12 days.

Any input regarding how to go about arranging this trip will be helpful as this is our first visit to Rajasthan. Prefereably would like to have a look into the local lifestyle, history, culture and taste local food. Would like to stay in accommodation which are clean and homely.

Also would appreciate an average estimation of how much the trip would cost for a family of four.

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rajasthan Trip

First decision is whether to include Delhi in your itinerary. Personally I would not and give more time to Rajasthan. Also have you visited Agra before, because that can be accomodated in a tour of Rajasthan.

If you are leaving out Delhi, fly in and out of Jaipur via Mumbai or Delhi.

A typical tour of Rajasthan could look something like:

Jaipur

Bikaner (stopping off for an hour or two in a Shekawati town to view painted Havellis and Kala Mati Temple outside Bikaner. Both of these can be fitted into a long day on the drive from Jaipur to Bikaner)

Jaisalmer

Jodhpur (maybe stopping off with Hacra near Osian to do a desert safari. Again this can be fitted into the one day journey from Jaisalmer to Jodhpur, or you can stay overnight in the desert with Hacra)

Ranakpur (visit Jain Temples and Kumbulgarh Fort)

Udaipur

Jaipur

There are nice places to add on to this itinerary such as Bundi or Mt. Abu, but with only 12 days I think you will struggle to add anything.

My suggestion for organisation is to arrange it through a reliable Travel Agent in Rajasthan. I used TGS Tours and Travels in Jaipur, who are excellent, Four Wheel Drive India also gets good reviews on this site, as do others.

As for hotels and costs I will PM you, but with two rooms at each hotel, car and driver and staying in reasonable hotels, but not luxury, I would say 1700 to 2000 GBP total excluding flights from UK and food (which is extremely cheap).

I hope that gives you a starting point.

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rajasthan Trip

Sorry I missed out Sawai Madhopore, which we didn't visit because it was closed when we were in Rajasthan.

This would logically be fitted in my itinerary after Udaipur, but you would need a stop overnight in Bundi, which is a nice town. Alternatively is Agra is on your itinerary it could be fitted between Agra and Jaipur.

With my itinerary plus Bundi and Ranthambore, it is going to be a very busy time with alot of travelling. You will need to make a decision whether to try to see everything and not spend long anywhere or be more selective.

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rajasthan Trip

Thanks Tim. I have already visited Delhi Agra Fatehpur Sikri Mathura but due to shortage of time could not cover Rajasthan. My this visit is only to cover Rajasthan.

I would not like to include Sawai Madhopore because i would do that separately later on when i cover Madhya Pradesh. I had thought something similar to what you have suggested but did not include Bundi or Mt Abu instead was keen to see Chittorgarh. Now i will also include Osian and Khichan.

Out of the four major cities Jaipur Jodhpur Udaipur and Jaisalmer.........where do you think i should stay more than two nights and why.

Also would you like to let me know any part of the trip you did not particularly enjoy or anything more that i need to know.

Thanks once again.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,249 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rajasthan Trip

It is not logical to include Sawai Madhopur (Ranthambhore) in Rajasthan with Madhya Pradesh.

SWM is 4 hours from Jaipur. Madhya Pradesh is another state altogether.

- Deepa

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rajasthan Trip

Well then we will have to drop Sawai Madhopore. Our trip to Rajasthan is more to do with history and cultural activities with a feel of local lifestyle. We had thought of Sawai Madhopore but then later on decided not to visit as we are planning a tiger reserve holiday sometime later.

As of now it is pure Rajasthan lifestyle and desert for us. Thanks for the info Deepa.

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rajasthan Trip

Well then we will have to drop Sawai Madhopore. Our trip to Rajasthan is more to do with history and cultural activities with a feel of local lifestyle. We had thought of Sawai Madhopore but then later on decided not to visit as we are planning a tiger reserve holiday sometime later.

As of now it is pure Rajasthan lifestyle and desert for us. Thanks for the info Deepa.

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rajasthan Trip

If you are going to Madhya Pradesh on another visit, there are superb wildlife parks in that state, Bandhavgarh and Kanha, to name but two. I believe they are less visited that Ranthambore and at Bandhavgarh you probably have the best chance of seeing Tigers anywhere in India.

We are visiting Madhya Pradesh this year and will be spending 5 days in the National Parks.

Jaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Rajasthan, Jodhpur, Sawai Madhopur, Ranthambore National Park, Jaipur
Level Contributor
3,184 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rajasthan Trip

Tim's covered all the major places. Dont know which other tiger sanctuary youre planning to visit but nothing fits in so smoothly as Ranthambore (Sawai Madhopur is the town where the sanctuary is located and its in Rajasthan). Your routing could be Delhi (1) - Agra (1) - Ranthambore (2) - Jaipur (2) - Bikaner (1) - Jaisalmer (2) - Jodhpur (1) - Udaipur (2). You can get more itinerary ideas from Rajasthan Association of Tour Operator members thru the website query form at www.ratorajasthan.org

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rajasthan Trip

If you want to experience desert lifestyle I would highly recommend Hacra near Osian. Do a search on this site and you will find lots of recommendations and they have a website www.hacra.org.

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Rajasthan Trip

Oh yes i have already done that Tim and in touch with Gemar Singh who i believe is in charge of the Hacra experience. Did you visit Khichan?