We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dec 2010 Rajathan tour w/kids

visitor70
Level Contributor
32 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Dec 2010 Rajathan tour w/kids

I have read many of the things on the forums and am narrowing stuff down but still am not sure whether Palace on Wheels or Royal Rajasthan vs. taking a driving tour with a company would be a best bet for 2 kids (aged 7 & 10). It will be about 10 night trip from Delhi to Rajasthan. Any suggestions or advise? I saw some reviews related to TGS tours as well. Any latest experiences?

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,471 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dec 2010 Rajathan tour w/kids

I was just thinking, with 2 kids, its easier to do the train thing. You don't have to pack and unpack and repack. It will be such a unique holiday for the children, they will have their own little world. There is a lot to do and see during the day time each day, with many activities that children will enjoy, like the tiger sanctuary, elephant ride, etc. I really think it beats driving from place to place. I know that children between 5 and up to 12 years of age at time of travel are usually priced at 50% of the adult tariff; that's a pretty good offer for an all-inclusive package. You can get two adjacent cabins, so you are nearby.

Jaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Rajasthan, Jodhpur, Sawai Madhopur, Ranthambore National Park, Jaipur
Level Contributor
3,187 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dec 2010 Rajathan tour w/kids

Pls remember that the trains are a luxury group tour. You are always restricted by the planned itinerary. Sometimes the train has really too short a time at places you could actually spend more quality family time at. My vote would be on a driving tour with shorter drives so that the children don't get restless. You can also build in stops at interesting places to keep them engaged.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,471 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dec 2010 Rajathan tour w/kids

Tough decision!!

- Deepa

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dec 2010 Rajathan tour w/kids

Personally I would opt for the car, it gives infinitely more flexibility. Certainly when my kids were 7 or 10, they would not have taken kindly to being herded round with masses of middle aged and elderly people (am I being unfair on the Palace on Wheels?).

I would draw up an itinerary with plenty of short journeys, make sure you stay in hotels with pools, and target things which will appeal to your kids.

If you search on the Rajasthan forum there is a thread specifically for views on TGS and I think many are recent. Other good tour companies are available!

5. Re: Dec 2010 Rajathan tour w/kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2010, 12:00
visitor70
Level Contributor
32 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dec 2010 Rajathan tour w/kids

Thank you all for your help & comments. It sounds like car ride is probably our best bet since it's also more cost efficient & flexible. I'll post again if I have more questions.

visitor70
Level Contributor
32 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dec 2010 Rajathan tour w/kids

How is the weather in early August? I looked at weather averages and it doesn't look like it's THAT HOT! I like warmer temps (but not TOO hot). Sounds like the rain dies down too? Is that the case for Gujarat as well? Also, is Tiger Sanctuary really closed in August?

8. Re: Dec 2010 Rajathan tour w/kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 June 2010, 18:10
Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,471 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dec 2010 Rajathan tour w/kids

Yes, expenditure-wise, a driving trip will be cheaper if you pick your hotels sensibly. In August the luxury hotels are offering steep discounts, so you can definitely "up' the style quotient !!

You should be aware that on a road trip, with the same number of days as a train trip, you will see fewer places. This is because the train conveniently uses the overnight time for travel between destinations, so you wake up every morning in a new city, and your time is well spent.

With children, do set a slower pace instead of driving literally daily from place to place, or you'll get the "Are we there yet" syndrome :) and you'll have tired children on your hands. You should focus on "activity oriented" holiday, rather than a "monument" oriented holiday. Give them the opportunity to see and experience India hands on, which is more educational as well as more fun than walking in the heat in multiple forts and tombs.

The weather is oppressive in August, I would not term it a pleasant month for travel (only winter is pleasant in Rajasthan, which is a state with extreme climates). But you are rewarded by low hotel prices, as well as greenery in the Aravalli Hills. Note that the tiger sanctuaries will be closed in August.

Edited: 25 June 2010, 04:54
Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dec 2010 Rajathan tour w/kids

As far as weather is concerned, as someone from Northern Europe, we found August in Rajasthan, hot but not unbearable. I don't think I would fancy doing it without an aircon car and hotel rooms, but providing you make sure you have both I think the weather will be bearable.

I don't know where else you have travelled, but I would say that the temperature is similar to Florida or the Caribbean in the Summer, or a hot summer day in Southern France, Italy or Spain.

We personally saw no rain in 17 days in late July through to mid August, but that varies from year to year.