We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jaipur vs Jasailmer vs. Bundi

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Jaipur vs Jasailmer vs. Bundi

Hey everyone

I'm trying to put together an itinerary for my 4 week india trip. I have almost everything decided except for my visit in rajasthan.

We will definitely be going to Delhi, Agra, Jodhpur, Udaipur. But I want one more city to visit. I cant decide between Jaipur, Jasailmer and Bundi.

Jaipur seems the most convenient and popular, but I've heard its overrated. Jasailmer seems quite inconvenient to get to, but if the camel treks are good, and the city breathtaking, i'd consider going. i dont want something cheesy and touristy. And for Bundi, i heard its very cool and very different from the rest of rajasthan, though it may not be as mainstream.

Just some info about us- I'm a 28 year old female travelling with my boyfriend. While we find temples and forts very amazing, i dont want to simply visit 10 forts in a row. We want varied experiences. Plus, we will be going to Hampi in the south, so perhaps this will affect what we go see in the north.

pls advise. thank you!

Janu Private Tours
Day Trips, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Rajasthan Four Wheel Drive Pvt. Ltd.
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Bike Tours, Multi-day Tours
Rajasthan Tour by Car and Driver
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips, Cultural Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Heritage India Private Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Cultural Tours
Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jaipur vs Jasailmer vs. Bundi

Everyone will have a different opinion on this.

For me Jaisalmer was the stand out destination we visited in Rajasthan, not because of the Camel Safaris (we didn't do one) but because it was a city different from anything we have ever seen before. A sandstone citadel, still occupied by thousands of people, sitting in the middle of a desert. Jaisalmer is slightly touristy, but I think you find it hard to find anywhere in India which could be considered "cheesy".

Alternatively you could do a safari from Jodhpur. Check out www.hacra.org, which is hightly recommended on this forum and which can be done as a day trip from Jodhpur.

Jaipur has plenty to offer, but it is primarily castles and palaces. You will see a spectacular fort at Jodhpur and palaces at Udaipur. Also between Jodhpur and Udaipur is Kumbulgarh, which is another spectacular fort.

Bundi does give you something a bit different. It is a relatively small town, with an interesting market to explore. There are some lovely step wells and a rather down at heel palace, full of bats. If you do chose Bundi, en route from Udaipur to Bundi there is Chittorgarh, which is another fortified town, a little like Jaisalmer, but not in a desert setting and in Chittor's case mostly deserted.

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jaipur vs Jasailmer vs. Bundi

Tim has given you a good perspective.

I'll say go for Jaisalmer. It's a nice place even if you do not do camel safari.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jaipur vs Jasailmer vs. Bundi

Third vote for Jaisalmer, even though I do confess to loving the other two, also. But there's NOWHERE in India quite like Jaisalmer, and the slight inconvenience in getting there is probably one of the reasons it's still so great.

jaisalmer
Destination Expert
for Jaisalmer
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jaipur vs Jasailmer vs. Bundi

Defiantly Jaisalmer is on top ... as everybody’s advice...

5. Re: Jaipur vs Jasailmer vs. Bundi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2011, 05:16