We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delhi, Agra and Rajasthan- Road or trian?

sandiego
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Delhi, Agra and Rajasthan- Road or trian?

Hello

we are going to be Arrive in Delhi on the 17th of Dec and leave on the 26th.

We will be traveling with our three young(but well traveled) kids, and my very fit parents. We would like to see Agra, Fatehpur sikri, Jaipur, Jaisalmer and/or Jodhpur.

Should we try to travel by train or road. Are the roads in good condition? Is 7 + driver too many to fit comfortably in a car?

Any advise would be appreciated :)

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Delhi, Agra and Rajasthan- Road or trian?

Of the standard tourist vehicles the Toyota Innova is the biggest and certain versions can fit driver plus 6, but then luggage would be on the roof.

There may be minibuses available for hire.

Alternatively, since cars are relatively cheap to hire, you could go for two.

The roads in Rajasthan are largely good quality by Indian standards, but avoid travelling at night is my recommendation. You get to see more of India from a car than a train in my opinion, because you drive slowly through towns and villages and see people going about their lives.

Most of the major sites in Rajasthan are reachable by train and the trains are reasonably comfortable and although the toilets leave a little to be desired are OK for all but the most squeemish. If you travel AC, the windows are tinted and the view is severely reduced, in my view.

The two sites I personally would not miss, but which are not accessible by train are Ranakpur and Kumbulgarh. These could be done on a day trip from Udaipur. Or you could do just one leg of your journey by car, from Jodhpur to Udaipur, taking these sites in en route, or even better staying for a night in the lovely Aravelli Hills at Ranakpur.

sandiego
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Delhi, Agra and Rajasthan- Road or trian?

Thanks Tim,

Two cars seems stressful. I would feel like I have to keep an eye on the other one constantly.

May be we will do it by train. The part we may do by car is from Agra to Jaipur as I would like the kids to see Fatehpur shikri. We could take the train from Jaipur to Jodhpur. Do you think we would have enough time to see Jaisalmer or is that too much?

I don't want to rush it.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
151 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Delhi, Agra and Rajasthan- Road or trian?

Hi,

The roads around Rajasthan aren't as bad as many other places in India, and I feel you see more when travelling by road rather than by train. Although, having said that, train travel in India is certainly an experience. Maybe you can combine the two? Having your own car and driver is very convenient (I am sure Icon - or any other agent - can get you a vehicle large enough to fit the seven of you), and means you can come and go and please yourselves a lot more. The driver will stop at various sights along the way - an believe me, there will be plenty of exciting things to see - and will be able to explain to you what you see.

Another advantage of having your own driver is that he will take you to suitable restaurants, straight to the hotel each night and there will be no chance of being overcharged by a taxi driver or the suggestion that your chosen hotel "is full" and the taxi driver take you to his cousin's place.

We went to Rajasthan last year, our sixth visit to India. This time we used a company called Icon India Tours (http://www.iconindiatours.com/) who we found very good.

Icon India tours chose some awesome hotels for us, mostly heritage type small hotel, and I was very pleased with the comfort, style and location of all the hotels. And of course the price.

If you do decide to use Icon India Tours, ask for Sabu and tell him Grete sent you; I am sure he will look after you! If you want to see some photos from our trip to India last year, they are here: www.facebook.com/album.php…

Have fun; India is my all-time favourite destination, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Grete

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Delhi, Agra and Rajasthan- Road or trian?

Ubud,

I think if you are going to do Jaisalmer then train is probably the way to go, because you can take a sleeper and do the journey overnight, that way you don't lose virtually two days out of your schedule travelling, because Jodhpur to Jaisalmer is in the region of 6 hours by road and you have to go and come back on the same road.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
151 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Delhi, Agra and Rajasthan- Road or trian?

I agree with Tim about Ranakpur and Kumbalgarh, definitely worth a detour. On one of our trips we had a mini bus and driver, so that should not be a problem.

Wiltshire, UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Delhi, Agra and Rajasthan- Road or trian?

Hello

We might see you en route as we're doing almost the same journey at the same time. We are 2 families making 8 in total. We're hiring a tempo traveller which seats 9 in coach style seats rather than minibus style. Also carries loads of luggage. If you google tempo traveller you'll fine lots for hire from Delhi. Of course we've not done it yet but I'm pretty confident we'll be fine.

Luckymum

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
703 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Delhi, Agra and Rajasthan- Road or trian?

Dear Ubud

The Tempo Traveler will be the best choice if you decide to go by road. Getting on and off trains and coordinating with multiple drivers on the tour may become challenging. Once you get on to your vehicle in Delhi the vehicle will become like a second home to you and would be a much more convenient way of traveling around Rajasthan than the trains.

Have a great trip!

- Manjari

sandiego
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Delhi, Agra and Rajasthan- Road or trian?

Thank you all for your advise.

I think we will skip Ranakpur and Udaipur and save those for our next trip. With little kids I don't want to do too much. As it is the plan is a little daunting!

Is a Tempo bigger than the Innova? Is it a mini van?

The advantage with trains is that you can sleep on the overnight ones and not lose time.

Hmm, Still not sure what to do :(

9. Re: Delhi, Agra and Rajasthan- Road or trian?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2017, 19:22
sandiego
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Delhi, Agra and Rajasthan- Road or trian?

Icon India:

I don't have any concerns about taking the train. I was saying that it might be better as we will not be spending a lot of our time during the day traveling by car.

I think we will be doing most of it by train except for the trip from Agra to Jaipur. We will do that by car as we want to see Fatehpur.

Thanks everyone for your advise :)