We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thar Desert Festival -- to go or not to?

Washington DC
Level Contributor
13 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Thar Desert Festival -- to go or not to?

Has anyone attended the festival and can tell me more? I am trying to decide if it is worth it to arrange my itinerary to be there for it or if it may be better not to. Does it get a very heavy number of visitors? Insight appreciated!

New Delhi, India
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Thar Desert Festival -- to go or not to?

Hello

I am now in Desert festival and i tell you its not a good one ,less tourists and very over crowded by indian people!! Lots of dust ,if you have some respiration problem then please dont go!!Anyways today is the last day of festival but i advice everyone not to go in the festival,By the way everyone has his or her taste,according to me its just dusty!

best regards

Edited: 21 November 2010, 15:59
Jaipur, Rajasthan
Level Contributor
264 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thar Desert Festival -- to go or not to?

The desert festival happens in February. The above post refers to Pushkar Camel festival.

Its worth attending the Desert Festival if you happens to be in Rajasthan during that time. Yes it is touristy and people flocking are in good numbers. But Jaisalmer now can cater to huge number of tourists with the surge in number of hotels.

You wouldn't regret being there is what I can say

jaisalmer
Destination Expert
for Jaisalmer
Level Contributor
1,467 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thar Desert Festival -- to go or not to?

Thanks Pathfynder for your advice.

The desert festival of jaisalmer is completely different then the pushkar fair .

I have been to pushkar fair yet so i can not advice about what exactly different is..

Dev

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
719 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Thar Desert Festival -- to go or not to?

The desert festival is a good icing on the cake if you happen to be in Jaisalmer when this takes place. Would I advise you to plan a trip just to be in Jaisalmer for the Desert Festival? No.

5. Re: Thar Desert Festival -- to go or not to?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2011, 05:18