We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

questions about travel agents/drivers/guides.-Xposted

Larchmont, New York
Level Contributor
953 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
questions about travel agents/drivers/guides.-Xposted

We will be travelling in the golden triangle area (and hopefully a bit further afield) in December for 15 days--. I am used to planning things on my own and travelling independently--but even after much research am finding planning in India a bit daunting-- we have thought about hiring a driver and then booking accomodations on our own or using a travel agent to arrange everything--my questions are these: if we use a travel agent how flexible are they with working with us? I have some definite ideas about places to visit and where to stay (but would also like good advice! and would consider changing based on knowlegeable opinon)--based on what i have read here I assume that an agent would provide for a driver? what about guides at certain sites?

If we hire a driver and plan on our own would that person be able to help us arrange guides?

I guess what i am asking is this: I have an idea of what we'd like to do and see in our short time in India, i would like to be able to discuss ideas with someone who knows the area and would give me an honest opinon about where we are choosing to spend our time and money-- and someone who can suggest things that we may not have thought of (maybe this is a tall order?--please let me konw if i am being unrealistic)

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
116 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: questions about travel agents/drivers/guides.-Xposted

hi you have enough f time to visit golden triangle tours in this day also you can cover to all rajasthan tours you look in trip advisor same good driver and you can book your all hotels in advance because dismember are many tourist in rajasthan mostly tours you done by cars guides are available in each monument thanks your sharing people

Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
39,551 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: questions about travel agents/drivers/guides.-Xposted

First you have to select a tour operator for Rajasthan. The easiest way is log on www.ratorajasthan.org/memberdetails.php… you'll get the names of approved tour operators, you can rely on them. They are competent too. Since, you have mentioned the golden triangle, I would suggest the following route.

Delhi - Agra (1n) - Jaipur (2n) - Ranthambore (1n) - Udaipur (2n)- Jodhpur (2n) - Delhi.

I have used www.crowntours.in for my Rajasthan trip, they are approved by RATO.

Edited: 08 April 2011, 11:04
agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,128 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: questions about travel agents/drivers/guides.-Xposted

You are not asking for anything unusual. Good travel Agent will definitely look in to your interest and suggestios. He can plan an ity and if it suits u can approve it.There r few agents who show initial interest in any query but as u go in to detail or ask many questions then u don't get prompt response.

So send your queries to 4-5 agents.

U can also look in to Forums of cities u have planned for more details.U will get all the relevent information or can send PM to experts for any specific info.

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: questions about travel agents/drivers/guides.-Xposted

i appreciate your taste of traveling, golden triangle is one of the best option to experience India. 15 days are more then enough to complete golden triangle trip, you can enjoy and experience each and every city in that particular time span.

i think you should book a good travel agent before coming to India and he can arrange every thing required by you. (car, driver, accommodation, guide etc) you should not worry about anything at all.

for any kind of information you are always welcome to ask.

Happy Journey

Pack and Go India

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: questions about travel agents/drivers/guides.-Xposted

There are agents who will do exactly what you want. i.e. be very flexible and make suggestions.

If you go on the Rajasthan forum you will find many recommendations.

I personally can recommend TGS Tours and Travels (and you will find many others with the same recommendation). I knew a considerable amount about what I wanted to do, but Nikhil at TGS made some excellent suggestions also (in particular a hotel in Bikaner and I wished I'd listened to him about skipping Pushkar, but we still reduced our stay there from 2 night to 1 (1 too many in my opinion)).

I'm sure there are other similar agents, but I can't personally speak about others with regard to Rajasthan and flexibility.

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
715 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: questions about travel agents/drivers/guides.-Xposted

Hi Spinny

To answer your queries -

If we use a travel agent how flexible are they with working with us? All good agents are flexible. Just refuse to deal with an agent who is not listening to you. A good agent is like a good maître d'hôtel..he should give good advice and help you make the right choice to suit your tastes.

I assume that an agent would provide for a driver? In India it is best to use the same agent for all arrangements - hotels, transport, guides etc. This ensures smooth coordination. There is also the ease of having a single window to make all the payment at. Hotels tend to treat bookings through agents with more respect and care and you have a local person to support you if there are any service issues.

what about guides at certain sites? - Yes the agents arrange guides at sightseeing places.

Someone who can suggest things that we may not have thought of (maybe this is a tall order? - You will only find this out once you send out your initial queries. Based on the responses you can decide who is being able to give you insights you had not thought of.

Have a great trip!

- Manjari

Level Contributor
497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: questions about travel agents/drivers/guides.-Xposted

i i would like to say, opt a tour package from a tour operator. that is the best option than all other alternatives.

you get best price, comfortable tour and trustworthy guidelines

JV Holidays India

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: questions about travel agents/drivers/guides.-Xposted

Leave your all worries on some reliable tour operators.

Following are some reliable names:

Swagatam, TBI or Mumbai Magic

All the best

6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: questions about travel agents/drivers/guides.-Xposted

If you're still looking for a reliable travel agency try Gajraj Travels (www.gajrajtravels.com). I used them a couple of times when making tours. They are reliable, flexible, not expensive and know the area inside-out.

Have a nice holiday!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: questions about travel agents/drivers/guides.-Xposted

I'm just back from rajasthan tour and I can advise you the best tour operator

great service wonderful driver

I know quiet well India but I was really surprised how this travel agent deals with me and find the best option at the best rate

Please take my reference to get very good service - carine

V Care Tours & Travels

B-1/404 Kamal Appartments 1, near Ram Mandir

Bani Park, Jaipur, Rajasthan. India

Mobile: +919314066669

Skype Id: Deepak Dhandh Yahoo Id: deepak_d_d@yahoo.com

good luck and enjoy