We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camel Fair

Cedarhurst, NY
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Camel Fair

We're trying to decide between going to India in November 2011 or late January 2012. Are there differences between the Pushhar and the Naguar camel fairs? Is one decidedly better than the other?

1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Camel Fair

Hi

Yes they are two different fairs. Nagur fair is much more local thing but pushkar is touristic.

It depends what kind of experience you are seeking. I am going to Pushkar from past 5 years. Let me know if you need any help.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Camel Fair

Hi

Pushkar Fair is much better than Nagur fair. It will be held from 02-10 November

All the best

Prabhu

India
Level Contributor
171 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camel Fair

The Nagaur Fair is held in the month of February. The location is at Nagaur & you will see stalls right on the roadside beginning just a few miles north of Khimsar & extending on the road, well after Nagaur, selling agricultural implements. The scope & quality of this fair is very different than Pushkar. The Nagaur fair has to do much with the sale of Nagauri Oxen, one of the finest breed in Asia, mainstay of Indian agriculture before mechanized farming. It is much smaller in size, loudspeakers blaring, dustier & fewer foreign tourists.

In case, you are in this neck of the woods, do spend a couple of hours. Of interest to you would be the huge piles of red chillies, cattle especially the oxen, Gadia lohars (tribals) selling agro implements.

I wonder if they still have the cockerel fights, which, btw, I loved wholeheartedly!

You could stay at Fort Khimsar or at the Ranvaas Haveli at Nagaur Fort.

Enjoy your travels!

British Columbia
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Camel Fair

Is Naguar of interest at other times -- people discuss the fair but would it be worth a visit during December?

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camel Fair

I too am contemplating visiting the Nagaur fair in a couple months. Can anyone recommend other interesting places to stay in the area (say within an hour or so) where we could drive over to the fair for an afternoon or morning visit. The two lodging options mentioned above are more luxurious and more costly than I am interested in. I'd prefer an unique and nice guesthouse type atmosphere in an interesting rural location. Thanks.

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camel Fair

No one has any ideas of places to stay?

Jodhpur, India
Level Contributor
466 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Camel Fair

Here is date for Nagaur cattle Fair 2013.

17 - 20 Feb. 2013.

more information link by official tourism of Jaipur Rajasthan.

rajasthantourism.gov.in/Attractions/Fairs-Fe…

cheers\namaste.

jaisalmer
Destination Expert
for Jaisalmer
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camel Fair

hi,

Just After this festival ,desert festval in jaisalmer ,on 23,24and 25 feb . 2013

for more information check post of desert fetival .

dev

9. Re: Camel Fair

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2014, 07:17