We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Discrimination at some excellent hotels?

Sturgis, Michigan
Level Contributor
26 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Discrimination at some excellent hotels?

I am an Indian planning to stay at various Oberoi hotels during our 10days vacation in India with my wife and daughter. However, on tripadvisor I found 3-4 comments made by Indians on Oberoi hotel related to their attitude towards non-white or Indians. I am little concerns.

Delhi
Destination Expert
for New Delhi
Level Contributor
4,759 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Discrimination at some excellent hotels?

Nowadays, a large number of Indian tourists/ businessmen are staying in Oberoi's hotels but never heard any discrimination on the basis of white/black skin. Oberoi's is known for the best hospitality so there is no chance of happening these thinks in his hotels.

FYI , Delhi , Mumbai , Bangalore , Kolkata as well as other big cities hotels can't be run without India clientel.

Sturgis, Michigan
Level Contributor
26 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Discrimination at some excellent hotels?

Thank you. Your input makes me feel comfortable, I wasn't sure on this issue so I rather ask.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,536 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Discrimination at some excellent hotels?

Hi AshDett,

Your profile says you are from Michigan, so in all probability you and/or your daughter must speak English with an accent. If that's the case, people here would immediately know you are an NRI and will treat you like one.

Having said that, I'll add that I've stayed at quite a few 5 star hotels on my vacations in India and have not been discriminated against. In fact, I have found the staff at such hotels more friendly and eager to help, due to their comfort level with us.

Sturgis, Michigan
Level Contributor
26 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Discrimination at some excellent hotels?

Thank you so much Sandy, I was reading some reviews and was little concern. This will be my daughter's first visit to India and I want best experience for her so we can do more trips to India. It was hard to convince 5 yrs old to celebrate birthday in India when she already celebrated in Disney and Jamican beaches past few years.

Mumbai is not part of our itinary this time but for sure next time.

Thanks again

5. Re: Discrimination at some excellent hotels?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 21:18