We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medical Checklist

Iowa
Level Contributor
58 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Medical Checklist

While I hope I do not get more than an upset stomach during my 23 day visit to Mumbai and many points within Rajasthan, I understand I need to be prepared for what may be the inevitable. For better or worse, I have consulted a few websites and Lonely Planet's Rajasthan Deli & Agra guide book and have discovered I need to pack a well-stocked traveller's medical kit. This has wondering what I really need. I travel light and do not plan to check a bag from the USA. Even if I pack half of what has been suggested, my medical kit would take up half my bag. I need to be realistic and pack only what is truly necessary given that I may be able to buy many medications over the counter.

For those of you who have travelled to Rajasthan in January, February or March, what did you pack in your medical kit? Did you use everything you brought? Is there a drug you wish you would have included? Did you bring and take vitamins? Did you take ahead of time and continue with probiotics during your stay? Is DEET necessary? Did you get a chest infection or cold while travelling in India? If yes, did you have something in your medical kit or did you purchase something over the counter.

And lastly were you vaccinted for Typhoid?

I realize my medical kit may be different from yours, I'm just trying to get an idea of what most people have packed and made use of, thanking their lucky stars they had it with them. And yes, I will be bringing toilet paper and plenty of wipes ... multiple use items.

Thank you for your feedback.

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
55 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Medical Checklist

For my son's travel, he was advised to have typhoid, hep A, rabies and hep B injections done. As he had tetanus, polio, diptheria, tuberculosis injections done a few years back, he didn't need it this time . Typhoid and Hep A was done on the NHS, but we had to pay privately for the rabies and Hep B ( 3 shots costing £210).

Looking into his medical kit, he used:

painkillers (eg. Ibuprofen) for his infected toe, blisters, cuts

anit-histamine for his insect/mosquito bites

diarrhoea relief(diareze) for his 1 day tummy upset

sun protection cream( Ultrasun 30 spf),

Deet 50 ,used once but found it too strong

Didn't use

1 course diarrhoea anti-biotics, dioralyte for replacement of body water (diarrhoea), purification water tablets

I hope this information helps.

Edited: 04 November 2012, 14:12
Iowa
Level Contributor
58 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Medical Checklist

Thank you kindly for your reply; this is EXACTLY the information I was looking for. I encourage others to reply as there does not seem to be a thread containing such information. I beleive this would be helpful to anyone travelling to India for the first time. The medical checklists I have found in travel guides and on line are long and I doubt anyone outside the medical profession or a hypochondriac would want to pack as much (the latter would probaly not venture to India).

I will look forward to other replies as well. And if you cannot remember the full extent of your list, what did you take that proved to be the most beneficial? Or what did you take that you didn't use. If you were in a group setting, did someone else make use of something you didn't include in your medical kit, whether you made use of or not.

Thank you!

Edited: 04 November 2012, 20:00
Jaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Rajasthan, Jodhpur, Sawai Madhopur, Ranthambore National Park, Jaipur
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Medical Checklist

Also see -

wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/india.htm

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Medical Checklist

You can actually buy most of these things in India much cheaper than home. I always bring my own sun tan lotion and use the local odomos cream as a mosquito repellent.

Iowa
Level Contributor
58 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Medical Checklist

Thank you, Npjai. As a seasoned traveller, I am very familiar with the CDC website. Have you looked at what they suggest you include in your medical kit for India? I don't think so. See below. The reason I posed my question - mainly to those who have travelled to India from a western nation - was because I don't want my entire carry-on luggage to be filled medication for nearly every ailment under the sun. I want to go with the notion that I won't get sick but if I do, I'll have a few items that will help get me by and for anything serious, I'll visit a clinic or hospital.

Medications

• Destination-related, if applicable: ◦ Antimalarial medications

◦ Medication to prevent or treat high-altitude illness

• Pain or fever (one or more of the following, or an alternative): ◦ Acetaminophen

◦ Aspirin

◦ Ibuprofen

• Stomach upset or diarrhea: ◦ Over-the-counter antidiarrheal medication (such as loperamide [Imodium] or bismuth subsalicylate [Pepto-Bismol])

◦ Antibiotics for self-treatment of moderate to severe diarrhea

◦ Packets of oral rehydration salts for dehydration

◦ Mild laxative

◦ Antacid

• Throat and respiratory discomfort: ◦ Antihistamine

◦ Decongestant, alone or in combination with antihistamine

◦ Cough suppressant or expectorant

◦ Throat lozenges

• Anti-motion sickness medication

• Epinephrine auto-injector (such as an EpiPen), especially if history of severe allergic reaction; smaller-dose packages are available for children

• Any medications, prescription or over the counter, taken on a regular basis at home

Basic First Aid

• Disposable gloves (≥2 pairs)

• Adhesive bandages, multiple sizes

• Gauze

• Adhesive tape

• Elastic bandage wrap for sprains and strains

• Antiseptic

• Cotton swabs

• Tweezers*

• Scissors*

• Antifungal and antibacterial ointments or creams

• 1% hydrocortisone cream

• Anti-itch gel or cream for insect bites and stings

• Aloe gel for sunburns

• Moleskin or molefoam for blisters

• Digital thermometer

• Saline eye drops

• First aid quick reference card

Other Important Items

• Insect repellent (see the Protection against Mosquitoes, Ticks, and Other Insects and Arthropods section earlier in this chapter for recommended types)

• Sunscreen (≥15 SPF)

• Antibacterial hand wipes or an alcohol-based hand cleaner, containing at least 60% alcohol

• Useful items in certain circumstances: ◦ Extra pair of contact lenses, prescription glasses, or both, for people who wear corrective lenses

◦ Mild sedative (such as zolpidem [Ambien]), other sleep aid, or antianxiety medication

◦ Latex condoms

◦ Water purification tablets

◦ Commercial suture or syringe kits to be used by a local clinician. (These items will require a letter from the prescribing physician on letterhead stationery.)

And if you are someone who went to India with everything on this list, did you actually leave your hotel room? This is where the condoms come in.

Jaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Rajasthan, Jodhpur, Sawai Madhopur, Ranthambore National Park, Jaipur
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Medical Checklist

They get paid to make such lists!!

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Medical Checklist

This is one big list, I don't think you need all of them. Just carry the basic medication and the rest you can find in India as well. If Needed..!!

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Medical Checklist

This is very over the top, borderline hypochondria!

9. Re: Medical Checklist

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2013, 10:18