We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with 2 1/2 - 3 week Itinerary

Cairo, Egypt
6 posts
Save Topic
Help with 2 1/2 - 3 week Itinerary

Like so many others, I'm trying to plan a trip to India, and am running out of time but behind on planning! We will be there in January/February and have just about 3 weeks. We anticipate spending a bit of time in Delhi (visiting with a friend) but are thinking of putting that on the end of the trip. I've tried to patch together an itinerary based on what I've seen on this site and others, but would love people's thoughts on what is doable, and best ways to get around. (Its not only Rajasthan, but wasn't sure where to post.) My husband can get a bit stressed with overly crowded travel, so a driver option is one possible route, and we are open to in-country flights as well (in addition to train). Any ideas, suggestions or thoughts are greatly appreciated. RIght now we have:

Days 1 & 2: Delhi

Days 3 & 4: Varanasi (fly from Delhi?)

Day 4 & 5: Khajuraho

Day 7 & 8: Agra & Fatehpur Sikri

Days 8 - 10: Jaipur

Days 11 -13: Jodhpur

Days 13 & 14: Udaipur

Day 15 - 20: Delhi

Thanks in advance for any suggestions / ideas!

Mysuru (Mysore...
Destination Expert
for Mysuru (Mysore)
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with 2 1/2 - 3 week Itinerary

Your route planning is fine. You should fly to Varanasi as the trains on Delhi Varanasi route will be crowded. To save time flying to Khajuraho would also make sense. Khajuraho to Agra by train or fly to Delhi and take a car for the Delhi/Agra/Jaipur section. The places you could consider adding are Jaisalmer from Jodhpur or Orchha on the way from Khajuraho to Agra. or Ranthambore from Jaipur as, The element missing from your itinerary is a wildlife park.

You could also consider moving on to Bharatpur after spending just one night in Agra.

jaipur
Destination Expert
for Rajasthan
Level Contributor
648 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with 2 1/2 - 3 week Itinerary

DEAR

Your itineary looks perfect & very much doable . If you want to add the desert element than visit jasailmer from jodhpur about 300 kms .The golden city is worth a visit after doing the golden triangle .

Jaisalmer, India
Level Contributor
235 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with 2 1/2 - 3 week Itinerary

Dear

you choose best way to discover yes as tikku say you can add jaisalmer for 2 night it will be good and relexing then other small city and best is desert safari on camel and jeep so you can add this and after your plan is very good

ENJOY YOU HOLIDAYS

ROYALE KOLU

Cairo, Egypt
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with 2 1/2 - 3 week Itinerary

Thanks so much to all for the quick responses. In terms of Jaisalmer, I had been going back and forth - my question is this - I actually live in Egypt, so camels and desert in and of themselves are not so exotic to me. That said, if the town itself (architecture, culture, etc.) is worthwhile ( beyond the exoticness of a desert), I would be interested. Thoughts? Also, is driving the best way to get there?

I also thought I had seen that Ranthambore was closed at some point in the recent past - is it open now?

Agra
Destination Expert
for Agra
Level Contributor
5,130 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with 2 1/2 - 3 week Itinerary

Yes Ranthambore National Park famous for the presence of Tigers is open for tourists...u can include it in your plan.

Thanks

Rashid Agra

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
700 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with 2 1/2 - 3 week Itinerary

Hi Ergmpa

I would suggest this itinerary -

Day 1: Delhi

2- Fly Delhi-Varanasi

3 - Fly Varanasi-Khajuraho

4 - Khajuraho - Orchha

5 - Orchha - Gwalior

6 - Gwalior - Agra

7 - Agra - Jaipur

8 - Jaipur

9 - Jaipur - Khimsar or Bikaner

10 - Khimsar/Bikaner - Jaisalmer

11 - Jaisalmer

12 - Jaisalmer - Jodhpur

13 - Jodhpur - Ranakpur

14 -Ranakpur - Udaipur

15 - Udaipur

16 - Fly Udaipur - Delhi

Consider including Ranthambore by removing Jaisalmer only if you are able to book safaris online at www.rajasthanwildlife.in

Have a great trip!

-Manjari

Delhi
Destination Expert
for New Delhi
Level Contributor
4,612 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with 2 1/2 - 3 week Itinerary

Hi Ergmpa,

You are living in Egypt so that visiting Jaisalmer is not necessary. The places you chose to travel are in sequence and also quite good allocation of time, only staying Delhi for 07 days is too long.

I would suggest you to reverse your itinerary instead of going Khajuraho & Varanasi first you should go Jaipur first, no need to use Udaipur- Delhi flight and also allow you to see some more side attractions. Rajasthan is land of fort & palaces and some of them located quite far and also a few worth visit countryside / en-routes attractions so hiring car and driver recommended for Rajasthan. The following plan would be best for you

Suggested Plan :

Day 01 Arrive Delhi

Day 02 Visit Delhi

Day 03 Delhi – Jaipur ( By Road)

Day 04 Jaipur

Day 05 Jaipur- Ajmer- Pushkar-Jodhpur ( By Road)

Day 06 Jodhpur

Day 08 Jodhpur-Kumbhalgarh- Ranakpur-Udaipur (By Road)

Day 09 Udaipur

Day 10 Udaipur- Chittorgarh-Bundi ( By Road )

Day 11 Bundi-Ranthambhore ( By Road)

Afternoon Jungle Safari.

Day 12 Ranthambhore-Fatehpur Sikri-Agra ( By Road)

Morning Jungle Safari.

Day 13 Agra

Day 14 Agra – Jhansi ( By Shatabadi Exp – Depart : 08-17 AM arrive Jhansi- 10-45 AM )

Visit Jhansi & Orchha Temple, evening arrival in Khajuraho.

Day 15 Khajuraho

Day 16 Khajuraho-Varanasi (By Flight)

Day 17 Varanasi

Day 18 Varanasi- Delhi (By flight)

Day 19 Delhi – Shopping & visit

Day 20 Delhi – Out

Hari Mangal

8. Re: Help with 2 1/2 - 3 week Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 December 2012, 04:05
Burnley, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with 2 1/2 - 3 week Itinerary

i am traveling in feb with my husband we are doing the golden triangle then down to Baga, we are ok with how much spends we will need in Baga as we have been to goa twice however we are staying in the trident at jaipur, the mughal in agra and delhi and we arnt familiar with what to expect cost wise we understand the hotel bar bill will be high because of the standard but what should we expect from out and about we arnt shy about street food ect could you maybe give us some pointers so that we have a realistic expectation? ie beer/food prices in the north

thanks in advance for taking the time

katherine

10. Re: Help with 2 1/2 - 3 week Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2013, 06:16