We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we consider postponing trip

Whidbey Is., WA
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Should we consider postponing trip

Hi TA experts, we've started planning a first time trip to Rajasthan beginning of April. Now we realize it is a very hot time of year. Would it make any difference at all leaving 2+ weeks earlier? We would like to do back country adventures for 2 weeks, rather than big cities, however, should Jaipur not be missed? Planning to continue to Bhutan for 3 nights. We are in our late 50s. Have been in contact with India by car & driver tour co. Thank you for your input.

jaipur
Destination Expert
for Rajasthan
Level Contributor
648 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we consider postponing trip

DEAR

April is hot but not the hottest month in rajasthan , first two weeks are just starting of summer time so it is quite bearable .

March is best month weather wise as it is spring time in rajasthan .

In raj. only Jaisalmer , jodhpur & bikaner will be hot rest of places would be good weather in April

Agra
Destination Expert
for Agra
Level Contributor
4,979 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we consider postponing trip

No doubt April gets hot but is not the hottest month in North India...the heat is bearable...activities related to s/s can be done in the morning or afternoon....Few cities would be good to visit in Rajisthan like Jaipur and Udaipur...if you have never been to Agra include to see the one of the seven wonders of the world Taj Mahal and other then that you look for Shimla a cooler place .

Thanks

Rashid Agra

Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we consider postponing trip

April should be ok.....leaving 2 weeks earlier will help. I would definitely suggest keeping Jaipur and Jaisalmer on agenda.

jaisalmer
Destination Expert
for Jaisalmer
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we consider postponing trip

jaisamer must in your list as its small city and difrent from others too .

Its hot during after noon , evening and morning are pleasant ,specily the sunset in the desert is beautiful .

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we consider postponing trip

I wouldn't worry about the heat after a couple of days you do get used to it.

Jaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Rajasthan, Jodhpur, Sawai Madhopur, Ranthambore National Park, Jaipur
Level Contributor
3,187 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we consider postponing trip

Definitely prepone your trip to March if you can

Whidbey Is., WA
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we consider postponing trip

Thanks friends, Your comments are most helpful. Was wondering about Jaisalmer being in the desert but do definitely want to visit. Also Agra & Udaipur. We are very interested in wildlife parks and birds, however read that tigers are mainly seen in summer. Yes? I've been researching tour co's on TA, and since there are so many, it would seem to me those bearing logos such as IATA, ATOAI etc should be respectable. there are large price fluctuations between larger operators vs local ones; what's your opinion, is it because of adding another layer, a middleman, and/or choice of hotels? Thx.

8. Re: Should we consider postponing trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 January 2013, 19:35
Bedford
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should we consider postponing trip

Dear Pantherina,

About the heat; I'm British, about your age and I was in Rajasthan last May. It is HOT. You should at least plan your days sensibly - rise early, rest in the early afternoon, dine late - wear appropriate clothing, and keep on drinking water continually whether you are thirsty or not. In all honesty winter is the best time for seeing Rajasthan. April should be OK, but you are going to have to pace yourselves. If you can't take it head for Mt Abu, it will be cool and breezy up there.

Jaisalmer is not to be missed. Jodhpur will be pretty hot as it's all built on sandstone which stores the heat up & releases it all night long. Jagat Niwas is a lovely place to stay in Udaipur if your budget will run to it.

I wouldn't hold out too much hope of seeing tigers at any time of year. But the bird sanctuary at Bharatpur used to be lovely (some time since I've been there). You can do delightful nature walks out of Mt. Abu too (see comment above) but it's getting a bit late in the year even there - contact 'Charles Guide' (Mahendra Dan) who is a really reliable guy. DON'T do it without a local guide.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
144 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should we consider postponing trip

Hello Pantherina,

As you're also comparing tour companies / driver options, you may like to take a look at our recent Rajasthan review and blog.

Rajasthan with a safe and reliable driver was amazing.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g297665-i4566-k…

Cheers