We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fraud ongoing by Rajasthali Textile Development Corporation

Mumbai
1 post
Save Topic
Fraud ongoing by Rajasthali Textile Development Corporation

Hello Friends

The subjectline says it all. Please take care not to be duped by this body and shops it runs in Jodhpur, Jaipur and probably at other tourist destinations in Rajasthan.

To narrate the incident in short; I had a couple of hours in Jodhpur after checking out from the hotel and decided to visit the Fort. On my way back, the driver recommended to me to shop at a 'government' store for rajasthani items and I agreed to since I had some time with me. The shop was Rajasthali Textile Development Corporation, 1&2 Nimheda House, Near The Hotel Marvel Ummed, Mandor Road, Paota, JODHPUR. There were many points that were noteworthy which you should note so that you too do not get duped.

1. The name plate incorporated R.T.D.C on it with a classic signage of camel and king looking like a government owned/run store. In fact RTDC stands for Rajasthan Tourism Development Corporation and is a Government of Rajasthan body and usage of the R.T.D.C. acronym is only to make an impression of being a government store.

2. I stepped in and saw plates of 'Fixed Rate' displayed at multiple places in the store which did resemble a government store. But it is only for the purpose of misleading and cheating people. More so because there is nothing fixed there. You would be amazed to know that no items had a price or MRP tag on it. The sales person would quote the rate to you based on his assesment of how much you can pay and be duped for.

3. I made the above point to the salesman and he responded by saying that he is a government employee and does not require to do these things and he would lose his job on one complaint of mine and thereafter started to repeatedly make this point of this being a government store and all of them are employees of the Government of Rajasthan. This is the point. The staff was repeatedly making this point of being employees of the Government of Rajasthan employed in a store operated by the RTDC. Plain lies they were speaking. How can a government store stock items without price tags on them and write 'Fixed Rate' on multiple points in the store.

4. There was also a guarantee offered with a vague looking guarantee card that I would get 50% of the value of the goods returned if I go to any government operated store in India or Khadi Gramudyog store after 4 years of using the goods. Again to cheat and dupe patrons. No such resale is available at Khadi Gramudyog stores or other givernment shops.

5. The invoice was amazing. It was a "kaccha bill" that you would get from a samosa or chaat shop. It does not have the item code or description, no field for VAT, no proper VAT registration details of the seller, 'Retail invoice/Cash memo' as it should be written over the bill was not mentioned. In short it was a peice of paper and not a bill/invoice.

6. To avoid showing sales on record, they prefer to sell on cash else they would have to pay VAT and sales would be recorded. I wanted to pay by credit card and was informed that the card swipe machine was not working due to error in connectivity though two swipe machine were placed on the counter and was shown an ATM across the road where I could fetch cash from. I still insisted that they try once and for namesake they did and informed me it was not wroking. I went near the machine to check and found out that the telephone cable was not plugged in and asked them to plug it in.

On my return home I found another tripadvisor forum post on the same issue with topic 'Shopping scam in Jaipur - Rajasthali Textile Dev. Corp.' which can be found on the link tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g304555-i4767-k5009…

I could also not find any reference to this Rajasthali Textile Development Corporation on the web other than the above froum link of scam. They have no website, blog page or email id. In effect complete fraud they are.

The option of attaching photos/documents is not available in this forum else I would have shared the invoice and guarantee card that they gave me. Try shopping from any genuine government store and you would find that their invoices are very elaborate with all details mentioned. I wanted to show how a proper invoice looks like which I got from a store from the line of state government stores at CP in Delhi at Baba Kharag Singh Marg, Rajiv Gandhi Hast Shilp Bhavan as it is called.

So friends, beware of these kinds of scamsters whenever travelling to heritage destinations in India. Please look out for the above six points that I have outlined which are the common ways to create an impression of being genuine and cheat.

Thanks.

N.B. Please if anyone knows or the administrator of the forum can share how to upload images here, I want to share the invoice that I received and compare that to a genuine invoice.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,507 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fraud ongoing by Rajasthali Textile Development Corporation

I remember the other post but surely the authorities should do something about this as they're posing as a Government owned store. why don't you report this to them.

Jaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Rajasthan, Jodhpur, Sawai Madhopur, Ranthambore National Park, Jaipur
Level Contributor
3,313 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fraud ongoing by Rajasthali Textile Development Corporation

I have given the Police Commissioner's email in earlier posts..you should report the matter an an FIR will be filed if you are serious about taking this matter to a legal conclusion.

India
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Fraud ongoing by Rajasthali Textile Development Corporation

As. npjai said if you really wanna help to visitors than please report the matter to commissioner of tourism.

thanks nimbera

NY
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Fraud ongoing by Rajasthali Textile Development Corporation

Hey guys , we have been cheated exactly by the same way this time in Newdelhi Rajasthan textile development corporation ..i think they are all by same owner .My husband a US citizen nd we both have been duped by the driver who took us there . We are sure local autos and travel agents get a very good commission from the shop . We see lots of similar complains against them .The driver and stuffs all assured us it a gov organisation nd we will get back everything in next 10 years if any problems arise .They showed us beautiful items and we bought few what costs us Rs 80,000 .And what they shipped us to our US address is very cheap quality products what we didnot buy atall . My husband is planning to sue them and punish a dishonest business which run in name of the government . And we just need all of your cooperation in raising our voice .Plz mail me if you wish to help us and make tourists aware of these frauds-- contactgargi@hotmail.com

Jodhpur, India
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Fraud ongoing by Rajasthali Textile Development Corporation

Be Care full friends from shopkeepers from rajasthan

Schenectady, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fraud ongoing by Rajasthali Textile Development Corporation

I would love to get this commissioners number or Email also I was scammed so much money from the Rajasthan text out in Delhithey sold me fake jewels of real price and also I bought clothes when I picked it up I did not check it and they gave me the wrong itemsthe stuff they gave me was really cheap stuff on the charge me a lot of moneythe taxi took us there purposely and a new it that we had moneyit was our first day in Delhi and we got royally ripped off by Rajasthani textileswhen I went back to the store next day to pick up my items I thought im selling the same items for more than $30 less than the original price they sold it to me forI think someone should stop these people from scamming tourist and it wouldn't get any Touristt oshop in there anymore

Udaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Udaipur
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fraud ongoing by Rajasthali Textile Development Corporation

Only "Rajasthali " is rum by under government contracted shop. But people working at Rajasthali are also not Government employees.

Your report will be a alert to tourist.

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fraud ongoing by Rajasthali Textile Development Corporation

You should definitely launch a complaint against them

Jaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Rajasthan, Jodhpur, Sawai Madhopur, Ranthambore National Park, Jaipur
Level Contributor
3,313 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fraud ongoing by Rajasthali Textile Development Corporation

See - …rajasthan.gov.in/PoliceContacts.aspx

Kolkata (Calcutta...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Fraud ongoing by Rajasthali Textile Development Corporation

Hope I had gone through these reviews before. Now I find that I have been duped by Rajasthali shop in Jodhpur with same address as given in posts 1 and in the same manner as illustrated. Do not know whom to lodge a complaint against this shop. Can anybody help?