We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel and important places to see

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
hotel and important places to see

Hello,

I'm inspired by a cpl who wrote their whole itinerary in order to get experienced input from locals and past visitors. I'm hoping to get the same. Help!!!!!

I'm soending my honeymoon in India. I've visited before alone and as backpacker and decided to come back woth someone to love and hold

Here is our itinerary

Day 1 Late-night arrival into Delhi. Overnight Delhi.

Day 2 Sightseeing in Delhi. Drive 5hrs to Agra. Overnight Agra.

Day 3 Sunrise at Taj Mahal, sightseeing Agra.

Drive 4hrs to Jaipur. Sightseeing/shopping Overnight in Jaipur.

Day 4 Flight Jaipur-Jodhpur 12midday. Sightseeing in Jodhpur.

Day5 Flight Jodhpur-Udaipur. Short Sightseeing in Udaipur. Drive

to Jaisalmer. Overnight in Jaisalmer.

Day 6 Jaisalmer sightseeing, shopping and overnight.

Day 7 Drive to Camel Camp.

Day 8 Camel Camp

Day 9 Camel Camp. Drive to Udaipur. Sightseeing Udaipur

Day 10 Flight Udaipur-Mumbai. Sightseeing in Mumbai.

Day 11th Mumbai Index Furniture Fair. Flight to Colombo.

As you can see we are quickly going thru towns in order to get to the farthest we can from civilization. I got from other posts that Jaipur deserves an extra day, but taking into consideration our desire to arrive into the desert what should we do different if anything?

And where is the best shopping for good quality stuff. The one thing I'm really looking for is a mother-of-pearl inlaid secretaire as the shpping article of this trip.

Are there any malls with the most innovative Indian clothing designers?

The other thing I'm still not sure about is hotels in the following places

Delhi

Agra (with a view of the Taj)

Udaipur (have my sights on one in D. Rajsamand-afraid it will be to far)

Mumbai

Thank you all for any help.Maricelle

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel and important places to see

something to add... if you have the interest:

Jain Temple complexes..... one at Mt. Abu and one at Ranakpur.... Personally I like the latter best, but please don’t miss seeing at least one of them.

Fatehpur Sikri... not far from Agra.... perhaps you’ll see enough of this kind of thing in Delhi and Agra... but actually one of the best preserved and presented sites.... second to the Taj’s of course.

On the Agra to Jaipur road.. about 90 km before Jaipur there’s a magnificent water well. Outstanding and not to be missed if you are interested in this kind of thing. Just now I can’t remember it’s name... will add it when I think of it!

Don’t let anyone talk you into visiting the rat temple..... well each to his own I guess...

If your budget allow it... the imperial hotel in Delhi is really and truly something special.

Enjoy Rajastan.... there’s nothing like it anywhere.

england
Level Contributor
173 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel and important places to see

ideally try and give jaipur another day. There is gud shopping to be done - handicrafts, jewellery and clothes

Antwerp
Level Contributor
335 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel and important places to see

if you are honeymooning i would recommend you to stay at chokhi dhani resort in jaipur. its like staying in typical rajasthani village with 5 star facilities

you can stay at one of the lake resorts in udaipur. delhi has many good hotels. you can try intercontinental located at connaught place

syracuse, NY
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel and important places to see

Hi,

I'm interested in learning which tour operator you arranged your camel trip with? And if everything went well? I'm planning a trip with my girlfriend this Dec/Jan. Thanks!

-Craig

5. Re: hotel and important places to see

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2006, 19:20
Sydney
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel and important places to see

Is it necessary to have two stops in Udaipur? I think I would leave out the first one and try to lengthen the second one so that your total sightseeing time is the same but you don''t have all the travelling. One of the most time-consuming and least-interesting activities in India is the list of formalities which comprise catching an internal air flight.... not to mention the actual travelling to and from the airports. From Jodhpur you can travel by train to Jaisalmer in about five hours (leaving early morning Day 5, arriving around lunch time), so that you could really do all the things you have planned for Day 6 on Day 5, giving you a whole day up your sleeve. As much as I love Jodhpur and, to a lesser extent, Jaipur, I think I'd give that extra day to Udaipur at the end of the trip; it's a great place to walk around in, with the lake making the geography a simple matter, and it's extremely picturesque. We didn't do much shopping, but I did note that for goods like camera film, Udaipur was among the cheapest places in India, and certainly the cheapest that we encountered in Rajasthan.

You have planned well in seeing the Taj at sunrise and getting out of Agra (it should be possible to do this straight after breakfast, which means that you are in Jaipur for lunch). I can't recommend a hotel with Taj views, but I can suggest the Hotel Sheela, which is ideally-placed for a sunrise visit to the Taj, as its front gate is about fifty metres from the Taj entrance ticket booth. We rose at 5:20, showered and dressed (but didn't eat), were out of the hotel by 5:45, and in the line -- we were actaully third or fourth -- by about 5:47. It was great to share the Taj with about thirty other people, and we thought this even more when we left at 8:30 a.m. and saw what the queue at the ticket booth looked like then.

In Jaisalmer, Shahi Palace is a great place to stay, and they will certainly look after you there... however, they have their own desert area for their guests, and you seem to have chosen the "other" area that the other hotels frequent (the Sam Dunes), so in that case, you are missing one of the main attractionns of staying at Shahi Palace: the chance to go into the desert and be the only human beings within miles. Nonetheless, the people at Shahi Palace will probably be able to tell you where to get the cheapest tours out to the Sam Dunes -- it's from a camel-drivers' co-operative which has a shop in the old town, but I can't remember the name or the exact location (everything looks the same in those impossibly-winding old streets, anyway).

In Delhi and Mumbai we stayed very much "down-market", so I won't recommend those hotels (even though our Mumbai hotel proved to be an inspired choice, because of its location in the Fort area). Most tourists stay around Colaba, but when we walked down that way, we felt that it was really "out on a limb", and we much preferred the Fort for its proximity to the railway stations, and the fact that, being in the centre, you can walk to just about anywhere.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel and important places to see

In your itinerary keep in mind that Taj Mahal is closed on Fridays.

An other comment: even though flying is faster than driving in Rajasthan do not overload your flying dates as they are often frustrating with chaos and delays.

Boston...
Level Contributor
60 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotel and important places to see

Maricelle,

In Mumbai, our hotel recommendation is Hotel West End. We have stayed there twice. Nice and clean place, though their food is barely adequate. However, there are nice restaurants close by. Stay away from the cheap hotels near the airport.

9. Re: hotel and important places to see

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2006, 12:30
10. Re: hotel and important places to see

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 22:19