We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary suggestions for a mom and 3 kids (10,10,8)?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary suggestions for a mom and 3 kids (10,10,8)?

Hi all! I need help!! We are planning on flying into Udaipur and out of Delhi. We would like to go to Jaisalmer (Badabagh, Amar Sagar, Ludrva) & Jodhpur, Kumbhalgarh, Ranakpur, Shekhawati, Mandawa, Fatehour, Nawalgarh Fort Jhunjhunu, Delhi, Agra, & Varanasi. Open to trains (I feel like we must do one over night train, right?), car (with driver), buses, etc. Does anyone have a route suggestion for us? Also, things we can rule out or things that are must sees with kids? If you happen to have guesthouse/hotel suggestions we'd love those as well as any drivers, tips, etc that would be applicable with kids. We are backpackers mostly (traveling for 14 months around the world) but welcome the occasional splurge when needed or it seems like a must do. Oh, we'll be going in October. We definitely have two weeks but could also do three if we are pushing it time/activity wise.

Thanks experienced ones!!

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,158 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary suggestions for a mom and 3 kids (10,10,8)?

The rains end in September. October is warm with sunny blue skies; before the onset of winter in November. There are festivals in October this year - see the Pushkar Cattle Fair dates for this year and check if your trip coincides with that.

Rajasthan has long drives. Some segments can be done by train, but those going through the Aravalli mountains have to be done by road. For a family your size it is probably economical to rent a car and driver, than attempt multiple rickety state buses. Overnight trains make sense for long distances, like Agra to Varanasi, for instance.

I will plot your locations on a map and suggest a plan.

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary suggestions for a mom and 3 kids (10,10,8)?

hi you arrival in udaipur 2night-jodhpur 1night onthe way you can see kumbalgarh or ranakarpur -2night jaisalmer see thear badabagh amar sagar ludrva fort haveli duens- 1night bikaner -1night shekhawati fatehpur mandawa jhunjhunu nawalgarh stay 1night -2night jaipur 1night agra 1night oraccha-1night khajuraho catch train or flight for varanasi thanks

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,158 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary suggestions for a mom and 3 kids (10,10,8)?

Here is the sequence that I suggest: http://goo.gl/maps/uVbh4

In this sequence, the first part is Rajasthan and then it goes to Uttar Pradesh, and then to Delhi: Udaipur - Ranakpur/Kumbhalgarh - Jodhpur - Jaisalmer - Bikaner - Mandawa - Jhunjhunu - Nawalgarh - Jaipur - Fatehpur Sikri - Agra - Varanasi - Delhi.

The map doesn't show Agra-Varanasi (it is by overnight train) and Varanasi-Delhi (also by overnight train).

I will post a sample plan as well.

Edited: 11 June 2014, 06:53
Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,158 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary suggestions for a mom and 3 kids (10,10,8)?

Here you go:

Day 1- Arrive Udaipur

Day 2 - Udaipur sightseeing and boat ride on Lake Pichola, the kids will enjoy the evening puppet show and entertainment at Bagore ki haveli

Day 3 - Hire a car and drive 2.5hrs to Ranakpur, visit the temple and Kumbhalgarh fortress. If you like the wilderness there are people offering treks in this area. Google and see. There are horse safaris as well. Night in Ranakpur/Kumbhalgarh

Day 4 - Drive 4hrs to Jodhpur and so some sightseeing here.

Day 5 - Another day in Jodhpur if you don't want to push your kids into travelling every day.

Day 6 - Drive 7hrs to Jaisalmer. It's a long schlep. If you want to break this drive, consider spending 1 night at Gemar Singh's dhani, it is an authentic desert stay, untouristy and I highly recommend it. Let's assume you break this journey at Gemar.

Day 7 - Drive 4hrs to Jaisalmer. Sightseeing

Day 8 - Jaisalmer and surrounds sightseeing

Day 9 - Drive to Bikaner.

Day 10 - Bikaner

Day 11 - Drive to Mandawa, spend 2 days in this region

Day 12 - Mandawa and surrounds

Day 13 - Drive to Jaipur (not on your list, but please consider spending time here, there are elephant rides for children)

Day 14 - Drive to Agra

Day 15 - Agra sightseeing and overnight train to Varanasi

Day 16 - Varanasi

Day 17 - Varanasi

Day 18 - Varanasi and overnight train to Delhi

Day 19 - Delhi

Day 20 - Delhi

Edited: 11 June 2014, 07:04
New Delhi
Level Contributor
3,632 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary suggestions for a mom and 3 kids (10,10,8)?

Dear visitors

You have plenty of itinerary suggestions is arrive but before final your tour with anyone please take quote from 3 - 4 reliable agents or independent services providers.

Thx

jaipur
Level Contributor
103 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary suggestions for a mom and 3 kids (10,10,8)?

Hi

you can plan your tour like this:-

Arrive in Udaipur

Udaipur to Ranakpur via Kumbhalgarh

you can choose Ranakpur for your night stay

or drive to Jodhpur

Jodhpur to Jaisalmer

Jaisalmer to Bikaner

Bikaner to Mandawa or Nawalgarh

Nawalgarh to Jaipur

Jaipur to Agra

Agra to Varanasi

Varanasi to Delhi

Delhi to fly back

this is the suggested route you can plan your night stay according to your travel time .

regards

Shyam

Jodhpur, India
Level Contributor
297 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary suggestions for a mom and 3 kids (10,10,8)?

You can do this :

Udaipur--> Ranakpur & Kumbhagrah---> Jodhpur--> Pushkar--> Jaipur--> Agra

For rajasthan only trip refer to this post: http://tinyurl.com/bestitinerary

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
693 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary suggestions for a mom and 3 kids (10,10,8)?

Hi Turbulence

Hiring a car can be an expensive proposition. Also you have not said what is the total number of days you have available. Here is an itinerary using trains where possible and keeping days to minimum -

Day 1 -Udaipur

Day 2 - Drive Udaipur - Kumbhalgarh Ranakpur

Day 3 - Drive to Jodhpur and sightseeing

Day 4 - Train to Jaisalmer

Day 5 -Jaisalmer

Day 6 - Train to Jaipur & drive to Shekhawati directly

Day 7 - Shekhawati

Day 8 - Shekhawati - Jaipur

Day 9 - Jaipur

Day 10 - Train Jaipur - Agra

Day 11 - Train Agra - Khajuraho

Day 12 - Khajuraho

Day 13 - Train Khajuraho to Varanasi - not daily see www.erail.in

Day 14 - Varanasi

Day 15 - Train or fly Varanasi to Delhi

Day 16 - Delhi

Day 17 - Depart Delhi

Have a great trip!!

- Manjari

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary suggestions for a mom and 3 kids (10,10,8)?

You are super, crazy, helpful!!! Thank you so much for the itinerary, map, etc. I really appreciate it. I have to plow through it all and I'm sure I'll have some follow up questions. In the meantime, thank you, thank you!!! It helps so much to have everything laid out in front of me - especially with suggestions on how much time to spend in each place.

Cheers!

10. Re: Itinerary suggestions for a mom and 3 kids (10,10,8)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 August 2014, 03:35