We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rajasthan - Luxury Train versus Drive & Hotel

Perth, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Rajasthan - Luxury Train versus Drive & Hotel

Hi all,

My grandfather is 90 years old and wants to see the Taj Mahal.

My Aunty and I have been looking at taking him on a tour of Rajasthan and we are tossing up between the 8 day Palace on Wheels tour versus a slightly longer Drive and Hotel type tour (perhaps 12-13 days).

The benefits I can see in travelling by luxury train travel is that there will be no unpacking and repacking of suitcases, no sitting for hours on end in a car and the ability to sleep while you make tracks (ahem) and wake up each day in a new city, your hotel travelling with you.

The downside is I'm assuming you wouldn't get to see much of the countryside go by as most of the travelling will be at night time. It also seems rather jam packed to fit that much into 8 days.

Alternatively, travel by car would allow us to see the countryside and experience hotels rather than sleep in the same place every night. I am also wondering if it would allow us to explore more of the local area having more leisure time on travelling days after checking into hotels.

Being my first time in India, I really want to make the most of the trip. There is an obvious price difference between these two types of travel and I am concerned about the high cost of the train trip and whether the extra money is worth the lesser hassle or whether a car trip would provide a better experience. Obviously I need to take into account travelling with a 90 year old. He is very mobile albeit a little slow.

I am wondering if anyone else has deliberated the same options and perhaps experienced the different options and would have any thoughts to share?

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
567 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rajasthan - Luxury Train versus Drive & Hotel

Hi,

You have already mentioned some of the advantages and disadvantages of travelling in the Palace on Wheels.

I think travelling by car will give you more time for everything. When you are travelling in the luxury train,you have limited time and cars for sight-seeing, fixed places. By having your own car and driver,you can visit at a slower pace, visiting the most interesting sights and leaving the not so nice ones.

Keeping in mind the age factor,you can choose the nearest cities to travel instead of the far away ones.

Thanks

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,468 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rajasthan - Luxury Train versus Drive & Hotel

Namaste!

Both have pros & cons. But to choose one, i will recommend to go with car+hotel for the obvious reason of more flexibility, better insights & value for money. You can opt for a comfortable MUV like mercedes viano etc.

Jodhpur, India
Level Contributor
297 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rajasthan - Luxury Train versus Drive & Hotel

I would really suggest you to do a tour in car. Hands down More flexible, affordable, convenient and comfortable. You can decide your own route, places you want to visit , time... So this is what I would suggest.

Delhi
Level Contributor
362 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Rajasthan - Luxury Train versus Drive & Hotel

I think you already know the difference :) and frankly that is what it is :)..you are right on the money.

The price you pay for the train is for its exclusivity and sublime experience. Outside the train you will definitely experience less, although with a 90 year old anyways you would be restricted in terms of how much you can do.

The only thing I would say is Palace on Wheels need not be done by train and can be comfortably done by Road and will be much cheaper.

Perth, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rajasthan - Luxury Train versus Drive & Hotel

Hi everyone, thank you so much for your responses.

I have since confirmed that we can only go for around 8 days so if we go by car I think we will fit a lot less in that we will on the train. And the same tour as POW takes around 12 days I believe.

Can anyone suggest the best spots to go, as long as the Taj Mahal is on the itinerary.

New Delhi
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rajasthan - Luxury Train versus Drive & Hotel

Dear visitors

As above all good suggestions and itinerary is below

Arrive Delhi ( 2Nights )

Delhi - agra (2Nights)

Agra - jaipur via fatehpur sikri and abhaneri step well. (2Nights )

Jaipur - samode palace just 40km and historical charming village. Or you can hold night in Neemrana fort palace. from Neemrana to Delhi just two hours drive and get your home flight directly. Hope it will be help you.

Otherwise you can make different itinerary

Delhi- agra

Agra - jaipur

jaipur - jodhpur

Jodhpur - udaipur

Udaipur Delhi by flight.

These are very excited cities you can visit in 8-9 Nights.

There is beautiful ccountryside in between the cities you can visit on the way.

TThanks and regards

7. Re: Rajasthan - Luxury Train versus Drive & Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2015, 05:15