Hi - We're a family of 4 (kids are 9 and 7yrs) looking at planning a trip to Rajasthan in during the X'mas/New Year season in December this year. I wanted to start in Udaipur and work our way back to Delhi (where we fly out from) because I wanted to do the bulk of my shopping in Jaipur (and shop I will!!) and didn't want to drive through the state with a lot of luggage.
As such the 12N/13D itinerary I'm considering is as follows (we are planning to hire a car/driver from Udaipur):
Day 1 - AM Arrive Delhi; Overnight Delhi
Day 2 - AM Delhi - Udaipur (fly); Overnight Udaipur
Day 3 - Udaipur; Overnight Udaipur
Day 4 - Udaipur - Ranakpur - Jodhpur; Overnight Jodhpur
Day 5 - Jodphur ; Overnight Jodhpur
Day 6 – Jodhpur - Jaisalmer; Overnight Jaisalmer
Day 7 – Jaisalmer; Overnight - Jaisalmer
Day 8 – Jaisalmer - Jaipur; Overnight Jaipur
Day 9 – Jaipur; Overnight Jaipur
Day 10 – Jaipur; Overnight Jaipur
Day 11 - Jaipur – Fatehpur Sikri – Agra; Overnight Agra
Day 12 – Agra – Delhi; Overnight Delhi
Day 13 - Fly out of Delhi
1. I believe this is a tried and tested itinerary, although possibly done the reverse of how most people do it. Does anyone see any issues with it?
2. We save half a day if we take the overnight train from Delhi to Udaipur on Day 1 instead of the SpiceJet flight the next day. It seems to be fairly affordable flight, but do we save even more on the overnight train? Is it comfortable and clean? I was thinking that one train ride might be fun for the kids and we'd save on a Delhi hotel stay, but looking for feedback....
3. Day 7 - our 2nd night in Jaisalmer - should we camp out in the desert somewhere or just do a camel trek and come back after sunset? I am concerned about toilet facilities because of the kids and also whether it will be too cold to enjoy it since it will be at the end of December.
4. Day 8 is the drive Jaisalmer to Jaipur that I am most concerned with. Will it actually take 8 hrs? I'm not keen on staying in Ajmer/Pushkar and think that it is probably better to take the pain and drive on through and then recuperate in Jaipur. But happy to hear thoughts on this please? Are there any flights from Jaisalmer to Jaipur at all?
5. Finally, I hope not to be inundated from tour agencies, but any recommendations from people who have used good, reliable, trustworthy and value for money car/drivers starting from Udaipur? I think from the little I've researched, I'd prefer a Innova type of vehicle.
Apologies for so many questions, but hope to hear from some of you soon.
Thanks in advance.