We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

December Rajasthan trip questions

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
234 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
December Rajasthan trip questions

Hi - We're a family of 4 (kids are 9 and 7yrs) looking at planning a trip to Rajasthan in during the X'mas/New Year season in December this year. I wanted to start in Udaipur and work our way back to Delhi (where we fly out from) because I wanted to do the bulk of my shopping in Jaipur (and shop I will!!) and didn't want to drive through the state with a lot of luggage.

As such the 12N/13D itinerary I'm considering is as follows (we are planning to hire a car/driver from Udaipur):

Day 1 - AM Arrive Delhi; Overnight Delhi

Day 2 - AM Delhi - Udaipur (fly); Overnight Udaipur

Day 3 - Udaipur; Overnight Udaipur

Day 4 - Udaipur - Ranakpur - Jodhpur; Overnight Jodhpur

Day 5 - Jodphur ; Overnight Jodhpur

Day 6 – Jodhpur - Jaisalmer; Overnight Jaisalmer

Day 7 – Jaisalmer; Overnight - Jaisalmer

Day 8 – Jaisalmer - Jaipur; Overnight Jaipur

Day 9 – Jaipur; Overnight Jaipur

Day 10 – Jaipur; Overnight Jaipur

Day 11 - Jaipur – Fatehpur Sikri – Agra; Overnight Agra

Day 12 – Agra – Delhi; Overnight Delhi

Day 13 - Fly out of Delhi

Some questions:

1. I believe this is a tried and tested itinerary, although possibly done the reverse of how most people do it. Does anyone see any issues with it?

2. We save half a day if we take the overnight train from Delhi to Udaipur on Day 1 instead of the SpiceJet flight the next day. It seems to be fairly affordable flight, but do we save even more on the overnight train? Is it comfortable and clean? I was thinking that one train ride might be fun for the kids and we'd save on a Delhi hotel stay, but looking for feedback....

3. Day 7 - our 2nd night in Jaisalmer - should we camp out in the desert somewhere or just do a camel trek and come back after sunset? I am concerned about toilet facilities because of the kids and also whether it will be too cold to enjoy it since it will be at the end of December.

4. Day 8 is the drive Jaisalmer to Jaipur that I am most concerned with. Will it actually take 8 hrs? I'm not keen on staying in Ajmer/Pushkar and think that it is probably better to take the pain and drive on through and then recuperate in Jaipur. But happy to hear thoughts on this please? Are there any flights from Jaisalmer to Jaipur at all?

5. Finally, I hope not to be inundated from tour agencies, but any recommendations from people who have used good, reliable, trustworthy and value for money car/drivers starting from Udaipur? I think from the little I've researched, I'd prefer a Innova type of vehicle.

Apologies for so many questions, but hope to hear from some of you soon.

Thanks in advance.

Jodhpur, India
Level Contributor
297 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: December Rajasthan trip questions

I have this like a sample tour for 10 days trip of Rajasthan which will cover almost everything to see check this out. Most of the tourists who are traveling to

Rajasthan are confused on what and how to travel here, to make the most out of their trip. So here is a perfectly planned itinerary to travel in Rajasthan. You can

make the changes if you like according to your budget and means of transportation you prefer, but this is almost perfect route you should follow.

Day 1: Jaipur

Arrival at Jaipur

Pickup from Jaipur Airport / Railway Station / Bus Stand by placard carrying driver and transfer to Hotel.

Post Lunch, visit to the fabled Pink City, the Jaipur of old.

Jaipur is famous for its marvelous architecture and town planning. Drive through the colourful bazaars to the delicate Hawa Mahal (Palace of Winds).

Visit the various museums inside the City Palace and the ancient observatory, Jantar Mantar which is now a world heritage site.

Day 2: Fatehpur,

Shekhawati

Depart after an early breakfast to Fatehpur, Shekhawati (3 hrs away).

See the Cenotaphs, Stepwells, beautifully Painted Havelis or mansions that this Shekhawati region is renowned for.

Proceed after lunch for Bikaner. If we are in time, we can also visit the Camel-breeding Farm just before Bikaner (open 3-5 pm). Bikaner is 2-3 hrs. from Fatehpur.

Check-in at hotel in Bikaner.

Day 3: Bikaner See the fabulous Junagarh Fort & Lalgarh Palace in Bikaner.

Proceed for Jaiselmer. Have lunch on the way (5 hrs. drive, packed lunch from Bikaner advised).

Reach before sundown, to catch a glimpse of the setting sun on the Golden Fort.

Check-in at hotel in Jaiselmer.

Day 4: Jaisalmer

Jaisalmer is a small town best explored on foot. Roam in the old fort, marvel at the beautiful architecture and amazing stonework. In particular, see the Museum and

Jain Temple.

Take a walk through the back streets to the Patwon ki Haveli & Kothari Haveli.

After lunch proceed to Kuldhera - an abandoned habitation, and then to Sam Sand Dunes.

Take a Camel Ride and experience the haunting magic of the desert.

Day 5: Jodhpur

After early breakfast leave for Jodhpur the Sun City via Pokhran (total drive 5 hrs.).

See deer on the way in the Bishnoi villages, and reach Jodhpur by afternoon.

You can see Mehrangarh Fort, Jaswant Thada (memorial to an ex-ruler of Jodhpur) and Umaid Palace.

You can also roam in the colorful bazaars around the old clock tower.

Day 6: Ranakpur

An early breakfast and we are off to see a fort that they say only Gods could have built, the awe inspiring Mehrangarh Fort. Do not miss the view of Jodhpur's blue

houses & sunset from the top of the fort.

Leave for Mt. Abu, that is 5 hours away. We see the beautiful temples at Ranakpur on the way. Check-in at hotel in Mt. Abu.

Visit to Sunset Point / Nakki Lake in the evening.

Day 7: Mt. Abu

Visit Dilwara Temples and Brahmakumari Ashrams after breakfast.

Leave for Udaipur after lunch (3 hr. drive). Udaipur, the capital of mewar region is beautiful with lots of lakes and greenery. Enjoy a stroll on the lakefront, or

catch a folk dance show at Baggar ki Haveli in the evening.

Day 8: Udaipur

Full day Sightseeing of Udaipur, covering the City Palace, Old City, Saheliyon ki Badi lakes, Pratap Memorial & Haldi Ghati.

Stay at Udaipur. In evening, catch the sunset from Sajjangarh or see Shilpgram where folk Arts and crafts are on display. The other options are to see a stirring sound

and light show at the City palace or stroll in the bazaars.

Day 9: Ajmer,Pushkar

Start after breakfast for Ajmer. This is a 5 hour drive.

Visit the Dargah of Sufi Saint Salim Chishti, venerated by followers of all religions and leave for Pushkar that is close by.

See the Holy Lake after lunch & visit the only Temple of Lord Brahma in the world.

Pushkar is famous for rose cultivation too! You can ask the driver to visit a Rose Farm.

Drive to Jaipur (3 hr. drive).

Day 10: Jaipur

On the last day of the trip visit the magnificient Amber Palace, perched on a hill top. You can also hitch a ride of a different kind at the fort, hire an elephant and

ride like a maharaja into the fort!

See the Largest Cannon on Wheels in the World and old cannon foundry at Jaigarh.

Visit to the Kanak Vrindavan Temple in the valley of flowers.

Drop at Airport / Railway Station / Bus Stand in the evening.

2. Re: December Rajasthan trip questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2014, 12:12
New Delhi
Level Contributor
3,659 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: December Rajasthan trip questions

Dear visitors

Your itinerary looking great and you cover all major cities. Only the jaisalmer to jaipur you can hold one night in between bikaner or Pushkar.

Both are suitable for the leg. About reliable transportation and chauffeur you can search above. I hope you get a very good reliable chauffeur for your entire itinerary.

If you want please PM to few DE or experts for your requirements. I hope you got good quote and perfect itinerary fm few services providers. if you want email privately and take quote from 3 - 4 reliable services providers before final your tour with anyone. I hope it will be help you.

cheers

New Delhi
Level Contributor
3,659 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: December Rajasthan trip questions

Dear visitors

Your itinerary looking great and you cover all major cities. Only the jaisalmer to jaipur you can hold one night in between bikaner or Pushkar.

Both are suitable for the leg. About reliable transportation and chauffeur you can search above. I hope you get a very good reliable chauffeur for your entire itinerary.

If you want please PM to few DE or experts for your requirements. I hope you got good quote and perfect itinerary fm few services providers. if you want email privately and take quote from 3 - 4 reliable services providers before final your tour with anyone. I hope it will be help you.

cheers

Rajasthan, India
Level Contributor
51 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: December Rajasthan trip questions

Hi

The itinerary that you have planned is good. but i would recommend a few changes to you to make it a more comfortable one.

- It is better you take a flight from Delhi to Udaipur. As you are staying in Udaipur for two nights so if you reach by around 1400 hrs then also you will have a lot of time to explore the entire city with ease. Also, i recommend you take a night stay at Delhi near the airport only. Now many new hotels are available in AEROCITY NEW DELHI which are reasonably priced and offer complimentary pick up and drop from airport.

- On Day 6 when you reach Jaisalmer. I suggest you to check in at the hotel first and later in the evening enjoy at the Sand Dunes with flok music / camel ride etc. I do not recommend you a stay at Camp as you are with kids and December would be really cold. Later return back to your hotel for night stay.

- On Day 7 enjoy local sight seeing of Jaisalmer city which will take around 4 hours on the maximum side. And same day you take a train for Jaipur that departs at 1715 hrs. I am suggesting you to take a train because Jaisalmer to Jaipur is around 575 KM and this will take 10-12 Hrs. Not 8 hrs even if you drive without any stop overs. With this train you will reach Jaipur next day morning at around 0500 hrs. With this you will save the cost of one night at Jaisalmer hotel.

Let me know if you need to know any more information from my side. Also, let me know if you want any recommendation for experience drivers, guides, hotels etc. I am based in Jaipur and i travel in Rajasthan almost every month.

With best wishes

Rahul Sarawgi

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
234 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: December Rajasthan trip questions

Thank you for your feedback.

Rahul - thank you for your detailed feedback. It has been useful! However, one more question, if we take the train from Jaisalmer to Jaipur, what about our car? We leave it at Jaisalmer and get a different car/driver in Jaipur for the rest of the trip?

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
567 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: December Rajasthan trip questions

Hi Pinkhog,

This is very normal route that a lot of travellers take. As already pointed out by some posters above regarding the long drive from Jaisalmer to Jaipur,the best solution is to wether stay a night in Pushkar/Bikaner or take a train. If you take a train,you can release the car a bit earlier so that he can reach Jaipur and meet you at the train station or your hotel in Jaipur. And you can take a taxi from your hotel in Jaisalmer to drop you at the train station.

Second hand important thing,Jaisalmer has become a hot spot for New year. There are more tourists than the city could cater to,resulting in mismanagement at the camps and hotels. Most of the hotels will have a compulsory Gala dinner which is usually very expensive. The camps at Sam and Khuri villages are overcrowded, you won't get much attention from the camp owners. The dunes are also overcrowded and the Camel rides are also not enjoyable at all as the camelwallas are in a hasty to take as many guests possible for very short rides in more than the regular price.

Lots of complaints. . . .

Okay, the solution could be staying at Osian or Bikaner which are not so crowded and you can easily enjoy the sand dunes and camel ride.

If you still stay in Jaisalmer,stay in a hotel.

Thanks

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,233 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: December Rajasthan trip questions

You cannot drive Jaisalmer-Jaipur.

So I suggest you start with Jaisalmer.

The route would be - Delhi - Jaisalmer - Jodhpur - Ranakpur - Udaipur - Jaipur - Agra - Delhi.

To get from Delhi to Jaisalmer you can take the overnight train; or you can fly to Jodhpur and drive to Jaisalmer. In fact you can stay at a desert camp midway between Jodhpur and Jaisalmer if interested.

Rajasthan, India
Level Contributor
51 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: December Rajasthan trip questions

Hi

If you take Jaisalmer to Jaipur train then you have below options to choose..

1. Either you do Jaisalmer local sight seeing on last day by a different car so that your taxi can reach Jaipur to pick you up on next day morning or you can leave your car at Jaisalmer station and pick up from station and drop at hotel in Jaipur on your arrival day at Jaipur is done by a different car. the car that you had left in Jaisalmer will again be back with you by 11 AM.

2. You continue with your tour after arrival at Jaipur by a different car.....

Both the cases are fine and used by many tourists.....

Cheers

Rahul Sarawgi

10. Re: December Rajasthan trip questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2015, 05:16