We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Jaisalmer to Udaipur

Maui
4 posts
Save Topic
Train from Jaisalmer to Udaipur

I would like to take a train from Jaisalmer to Udaipur with a possible overnight in Jodhpur but I can't seem to find a train. Does anyone know which train or trains I would need to take to do this? Thanks.

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
346 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Jaisalmer to Udaipur

There are no trains from Jaisalmer to Udaipur via Jodhpur .

You have to take train from Jaisalmer to Jaipur and then Jaipur to Udaipur , or you can take ytrain from Jaisalmer to Jodhpur and then bus/car from Jodhpur to Udaipur

Above are the only option

Jaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Rajasthan, Jodhpur, Sawai Madhopur, Ranthambore National Park, Jaipur
Level Contributor
3,234 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Jaisalmer to Udaipur

Sadly this is the missing link.

Bangalore
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Jaisalmer to Udaipur

npjai:

Isn't there any broad gauge conversion work ongoing, between Jodhpur and Udaipur? Weren't they linked by rail in the past, or is my recollection wrong?

Jaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Rajasthan, Jodhpur, Sawai Madhopur, Ranthambore National Park, Jaipur
Level Contributor
3,234 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Jaisalmer to Udaipur

That was between Ajmer & Chittor which has been complete. The Jodhpur-Udaipur section has never been connected by good direct trains. There is a metre gauge between Marwar Junction and Mavli. So technically you can get off at Marwar Junction and then take a metre gauge to Udaipur

Maui
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Jaisalmer to Udaipur

Well bummer, that wasn't what I was hoping to hear. I spent hours trying to find the right train table and thought I was just not looking in the right place. Now that I know there isn't easy way to get from Jaisalmer to Udaipur by train, I'd like to know what bus you recommend I take. Or do you think it would it be better to hire a car?

Even though I haven't posted to this forum before I've found it to be very helpful in planning my India tirp. Thanks so much!

Bangalore
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Jaisalmer to Udaipur

We did this last year by bus from Udaipur to Jodhpur-a 5 hour trip, and then by cab from there to Jaisalmer, another 5-6 hours.

7. Re: Train from Jaisalmer to Udaipur

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 13:16