We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great guide for Jaisalmer

Tunbridge Wells
Level Contributor
24 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Great guide for Jaisalmer

We recently found a great guide for half a day in Jaisalmer who spoke great english and the cost was very reasonable.

His name is Jitu Nyas - email: jitupolji@rediffmail.com or mobile 08003426356.

The Pleasant Haveli arranged him for us and he is a local who has lived inside the fort all his life.

We are happy to recommend Jitu if you need a good guide to show you the highlights in Jaisalmer

jaisalmer
Destination Expert
for Jaisalmer
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great guide for Jaisalmer

well ...his name should be jitu vyas (not nyas ) and i hope he got linces to guide the tourist.

Thanks for your post .

Tunbridge Wells
Level Contributor
24 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great guide for Jaisalmer

Yes - apologies I can see from my notes that his name is Jitu Vyas (not Nyas) and he does have licences to guide tourists. He is a very good guide (who spoke good english) which is why I posted my recommendation.

As someone said to me, we are all just trying to help the traveller community by letting them know the good and not so good in the different places we visit.

Edited: 26 October 2012, 09:11
Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
774 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great guide for Jaisalmer

Hi,

Good to share thease kind of right informations just to help for another visitors,but maximum time thease kind of informations r just for advertise some-one.

so its not good for visitors.so its good to share ur exprience related jitu vyas.

TA make travel very easy for all.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great guide for Jaisalmer

Thanks for the info.

Tunbridge Wells
Level Contributor
24 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great guide for Jaisalmer

We used guides in Delhi, Agra, Jaipur and Jaisalmer but are only posting recommendations for the guides in Agra & Jaisalmer as in our opinion these guides were very good so we are happy to recommend them to other travellers.

We agree that sometimes the postings for guides are really someone advertising which is why we always look at who the contributor is to see if they are a genuine traveller rather than someone looking to advertise their services or those of a friend/colleague.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1,923 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great guide for Jaisalmer

Hi,

When I visited Jaisalmer couple of years back, we hired a guide by name Mr. Bhatia. First name I have forgotten. But he is famous because he is a orchestra singer and sings songs of Mukesh. He seemed to be a sort of local celebrity and was known by all. He is tall and has a lanky figure and around 50/52 years of age.

He was very good, well-informed and reasonable in his fees. He shown us not only the tourists places but also other interesting places where tourists do not go. He showed not only those famous havelis but also other beautiful houses in a small lanes etc.

Sanjiv

Udaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Udaipur
Level Contributor
4,593 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great guide for Jaisalmer

Hi bluebirdfan,

Thank you very much for posting your feedback about the tour guide in Jaisalmer.

There are also unauthorized people works as guide hence

remark of digital jaisalmer is right about the licensed guide

He did a good job hence he deserve it

Cheers

Yogendra

Edited: 31 October 2012, 12:57
mumbai
Level Contributor
15 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Great guide for Jaisalmer

Take any gide as per recommendation or without recommendation, but remember one thing....NEVER TAKE THESE GUIDES WITH YOU WHEN YOU ARE SHOPPING IN JAISALMER.

I am a travel writer and have inside information that the ongoing commission rate for guides is 20 to 30% on value of shopping done by Indians and 40 to 50% of the value of shopping done by foreigners. The commission is adjusted by the shop by adding the commission value to the price quoted to you depending whether you are foreigner or Indian.

There is not a single shop that does not pay commission to guides as the competition is fierce among the shopkeepers.

Therefore, do not go to any shop with a guide else you will end up paying very high amounts for your purchases.

Always check whether the huide is authorised by the government. This will help you to complain against him if you have his registration number, in case there is any mischief done by him.

Please note that all guides in jaisalmer are commercial ones and their main aim is to make you shop instead of telling you about the things you need to know.

The best place to shop in Jaisalmer is Jai Laxmi handicrafts shop which is in Bhatia Para near Patwa ki haveli. This shop is run by Mrs Laxmi (cell no 09783414130). This shop has the best prices in Jaisalmer and unique collection of silk scarves, bandhani sarees, ladies clothes, mojari and juti. They also have bangles. NEVER GO HERE WITH A GUIDE.

9. Re: Great guide for Jaisalmer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2013, 10:18