We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camel Safari - What do you do?

Iowa
Level Contributor
58 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Camel Safari - What do you do?

I want to participate on an overnight desert camel safari (Jaisalmer)and get the fact you ride a camel into the desert and camp in a tent or under the stars. My questions are: What do you typically do once you get to camp? Do you sit around a campfire like any other campground? Is there a typical type of food prepared? Do you share stories with locals? Dancing show? Dare I ask about toilets?

There seem to be lots and lots of camel safaris offered so once one gets to "camp" will there likely be dozens and dozens of other tourists or are the safari locations dependent upon the organizer and thus could be more "private" in nature. When selecting a camel safari trip, are there specific questions to ask the organizer other than what I have asked? Just trying to avoid the pitfalls.

Thank you.

Udaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Udaipur
Level Contributor
4,603 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camel Safari - What do you do?

selection of a good camp organization and camel safari is easy

Check the credibility of the camp with review or feed back from. stayed guests. How professional they organize safari and gala evening at camp.what is include and what is not include.

MUMBAI
Level Contributor
648 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camel Safari - What do you do?

hey hiiiiiiiii

In Jaisalmer.......there are lotts of agent, hotelier are arrange a camel Safari.

thre are 2 type of safari

1. Swiss Tent Stay ( Touristic area )

2. Off the beaten track safari ( Non-Touristic area )

Touristic area will be thousand and thousand people , many camel man. and also there are camp side stay with Rajasthani folk dance , Buffet fix dinner , , stay at tent , attached bathroom with shower facility and B'fast

In that place so many people seat around the Camp fire, enjoying the Dance, chat....etc....

other hand Non-Touristic Safari will be quite, less tourist, Empty place with large and big dunes...

there will be inclusion are different, camel man will cook for you , give the some guide about area, visit villages, long camel ride, sleep under the star, arrangement of bad sheed with blancket etc.... But No Toilet specially in open dunes. For that you have to go back to bushes........ ( It's Reality )

Most of Western Tourist enjoy the off the beaten track Safari and it will be get the desert experiance..

Choice Good And reccomond Travel agent who arrange the safari as per they promised..

Regards,

Uju

Mumbai

jaisalmer
Destination Expert
for Jaisalmer
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camel Safari - What do you do?

uJu has given you full information on both type of safari , my recomandtion is also for no touristy part safari ,to sleep under sky,moon and star .

Campfire on the sand dune , talking to camel drivers ,watching shooting stars ,etc

Totaly amazing exeperinuce .

Other hand swiss tent/camp safari ...crowded exeperince sleep in tent ,etc ..

Jaisalmer, India
Level Contributor
235 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camel Safari - What do you do?

hello

ujju and dev give you all information so what you like you can choose by trip adviser or guide book . also if you are here at dec. or jan, please avoid oss the beaten track because of cold

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
774 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camel Safari - What do you do?

Hi,

Its great that you r going to visit jaisalmer and also planing to enjoy camel safari,Camel safari is a very interesting attraction in jaisalmer.

and as my friends " ujju and dev "suggested you to enjoy Off the beaten track safari.this experience will be very interesting and diffrent and natural for u.

and as one my freind " royalkolu "suggest you if u r not strong and donot want to enjoy some thing diffrent then go for routine safari, swiss tent/camp safari ...crowded exeperince sleep in tent.

up to ur choice.

Vijay gautam.

New York City, New...
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Camel Safari - What do you do?

is there any camel safaris near Agar? Im looking to camel ride, dune bugging, sheesha, sleeping out under the stars. But I only have 3 days to do it so I cant go on a long trip.

Udaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Udaipur
Level Contributor
4,603 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camel Safari - What do you do?

sorry Malika,there are no dunes close to Agra. you can find camel in many cities but not camel safari

The Short trip to enjoy your Taj visit and other attractions.

makes an excuse to be back and best place for this is off course JAISALMER..

That desert is covered more cities of Rajasthan..you can do it in bikaner nearby places

Or Jodhpur nearby. Places.

New York City, New...
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Camel Safari - What do you do?

how far from agra is the closest camel safari with dunes? Is it possible to travel to both Agra and this other city with the dunes and camel in my short amount of time?

Udaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Udaipur
Level Contributor
4,603 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Camel Safari - What do you do?

Bikaner is approximately,540 km and Jaisalmer Jodhpur are cmore then this.

You can visit semi deserted area if Rajasthsn to do the camel ride . The best will be Pushkar or mandawa and both 360-400 Km from Agra

Yogendra

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Camel Safari - What do you do?

I'm in Jaisalmer right now and have done a lot of research asking agents and fellow travellers.

It appears that its not worth spending a lot thinking you will get more as 2 English girls were very disappointed as they did not get a proper guide or village tours en route to the safari as promised. Instead they got a sleazebag camel guy whose numerous clumsy advances they rejected and he then sulked for the next day!.

We have settled on Ganesh Travels - his one day and a half off the beaten track costs 1050RS starts at 8am back at 11am next morning. We figure all tours are pretty much the same and as long as we get the basics - camel each, drinking water, meals, mattresses etc we will be happy with the experience.

I am taking the trip tomorrow and will post again to let you know how it went.