We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jaisalmer Desert Festival 2013 - Is it worth?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Topic
Jaisalmer Desert Festival 2013 - Is it worth?

I land in Delhi on feb 23 at 04:40 am.

Originally i planned to stay in Delhi for a few days and then go towards rajasthan.

But now i realized about the festival.

I found that i can take a train from delhi (departing from delhi cant, not far from the airport' at 07:25 am) and arive to jaisalmer (with change trains in bikhaner) on the second day of the festival at 04:00 am.

My question: should i do this even though i arrived on the second day? Is it extraordinary and must see or just give it up and arrive later by my original plan.

I pretty flexible, and if it's really worth - i will do it.

Thank you!

jaipur
Destination Expert
for Rajasthan
Level Contributor
650 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jaisalmer Desert Festival 2013 - Is it worth?

DEAR

Desert festival at jasailmer is worth visiting for any traveller on any three of days of festival . So , dont miss the golden oppurnity in the golden city this time .

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Jaisalmer Desert Festival 2013 - Is it worth?

Thanks Tikku.

Is there any transportation during the day & evening from the city to the festival location and back? (no camels or expensive jeep but public) so i can go there and back whenever i like to?

jaipur
Destination Expert
for Rajasthan
Level Contributor
650 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jaisalmer Desert Festival 2013 - Is it worth?

DEAR

First day of festival is celebrated at Sahid Poonam singh stadium very close to city centre & fort .

Second day in Dedasar stadium about 3 kms from jaisalmer city centre from 9 -12 hrs & eveing at Poonam Singh stadium again .

Third day moring at S.Poonam singh stadium & the grand finale is at Sam sand dunes on the full moon nite .Sam is 42 kms from jaisalmer

For first two days you can easily walk down to the stadiums or hire a tuk-tuk.For Sam sand dunes you can share a jeep with others so it will cheaper than hiring a vehicle personely .

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jaisalmer Desert Festival 2013 - Is it worth?

Do i need book a room in advance for these days? A/C is necessary for end of feb.?

Cagayan de Oro...
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jaisalmer Desert Festival 2013 - Is it worth?

Hi,

Jaisalmer is a very beautiful and charming city. You are getting a chance to visit at the time festival; Lucky ….go ahead do not miss it.

I think you should book the hotel in advance.

Bye

jaipur
Destination Expert
for Rajasthan
Level Contributor
650 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jaisalmer Desert Festival 2013 - Is it worth?

DEAR

Do book hotel in advance as rooms get sold out like hot cakes during the festival in jaisalmer . Prices are also hiked by hotels for desert festival so check out diffrent hotels before booking .

AC is not needed at end of feb . Weather would be hot during day time & pleasant in the nite .

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Jaisalmer Desert Festival 2013 - Is it worth?

Namaste :)

jaisalmer
Destination Expert
for Jaisalmer
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jaisalmer Desert Festival 2013 - Is it worth?

To arrive on 23 feb . You can take flight to jodhpur and from there cab or bus ,this way you will not miss anything on 24 feb. Program .

Also this year all the program gone be at poonam stadium most probabaly .

Dev

Delhi, India
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Jaisalmer Desert Festival 2013 - Is it worth?

Yes it is worth to visit desert festival of Jaisalmer. Lots of cultural show will be there to enjoy. It is unique festival and held every year at same time.

Along with you can enjoy visit to jaisalmer city with lots of sightseeing like, sand dunes, jaisalmer fort, majestic havelis etc. and don't forget to enjoy camel ride in sand dunes.

It is always advice able to book tours and hotel in advance for your convenience.

Thanks

London, England...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Jaisalmer Desert Festival 2013 - Is it worth?

I made plans for Jaisalmer on 24th of Feb for two nights with my extended family (6-7 of us) but didn't book hotel in advance. Now it looks that most of the value hotels are not available online. Can someone please suggest any thing in range of INR 3-5k per room per night