We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maharani Art store - BEWARE!

NYC
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Maharani Art store - BEWARE!

For all of you who are interested in shopping in Jodhpur, STAY AWAY FROM THIS STORE! They are a bunch of crooks!

They claim they are the only "government licensed store" (basically means they get to cheat off your money even more) and they have fake pictures of American celebrities in their store - photoshop.

We bought a few pieces there and had some shipped only to learn that not only did they not ship us the correct items, but it was infested with powderdust beetles! As you can imagine they never returned our phone calls nor emails...

BEWARE!

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maharani Art store - BEWARE!

You went on your own ? or were you went at the insistence of some guide or travel agent ?

London
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maharani Art store - BEWARE!

The name rings a bell..I wonder if I went to a similar "government licensed store" in Jaipur. I had a feeling I was being ripped, however no complaints with the stuff I bought.

NYC
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maharani Art store - BEWARE!

We went on our own, but it was recommended by several people in Jodhpur - you can't miss it... it's on this strip of art/ antique/ furniture...

My advice is, do not purchase anything.

This constant deceitful attitude is what really spoiled our trip to India.

Jaisalmer
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Maharani Art store - BEWARE!

To all the tourist when they go for shopping in Rajasthan, the owner of shop will tell you that it is a coperative society and profit goes to poor women artisans in the villages of desert.

Another quote: This shop is formed by a group of women to create a nice example of comperative society.

One more nice quote , Also it is nice to impress you that the profit goes to schools for neglected or handicap children.

And the final quote: Also it is a government licenced shop and it is only authorised government shop in the city.

So please beware and avoid this type of shopkeepers but all the remaining shopkeeper have dream to be introduced by guide,driver and travel agents. So it is hard to choose anyone.

Surely these shops are recommended by your guide, driver and specially there is a strong force from your travel agent in Delhi or Jaipur to take you this particular shop.

Jesus said " Oh God , please forgive them as they do not know what they are doing "

We will see only the impact of bad tourism and will suffer because of it.

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maharani Art store - BEWARE!

Nearly every place we went in Rajasthan we were told we were shopping in a co-operative to help poor rural women. The first time was recommended by a guide, other times by salesmen on the street.

We fell for it the first time, and the shopkeeper had pictures of Richard Gere, who of course supported this "co-operative".

We fell for it the first time and bought a few cheap items, which were actually reasonable quality for the price, but after that we became cynical and didn't believe anyone who told us their shop was a co-operative. Which is a shame for any real co-operatives and as the previous poster points out, is ultimately not good for tourism.

Holland
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maharani Art store - BEWARE!

"Ultimately not good for tourism" I doubt it, India has been this way for many years but the tourist numbers just keep going up. I guess many forget the bad when they leave this amazing country.

Jaisalmer
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Maharani Art store - BEWARE!

You are right Tim, the real coperative society will suffer badly with this practise. But again the artisans in the villages in India, they did not know how to form a coperative society and how to sell their products.

As I am in Jaisalmer, I am sure there is not a single shop which belongs to a real coperative society shop.

More interesting that the Khadi shops which are suffering badly by this tactics of tourist shops and more and less Khadi shops are going to close and give their premises on rent.

Khadi Shops are only coperative societies in our part which really follows the rules of coperative society rules and help the local artisans. Khadi shops needs a nice touch of presentation for their product to increase their sales among the tourists.

But Cyberhyppies, I do not agree and we must have to realise that tourist will never ignore our mistakes and overcharging. Never think that tourist are taking it easy.

It is the only smokeless industry which support our economy, we have to take care of it.

Jaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Rajasthan, Jodhpur, Sawai Madhopur, Ranthambore National Park, Jaipur
Level Contributor
3,262 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maharani Art store - BEWARE!

There are no government approved shops in Rajasthan anywhere. They are only "approved" in the sense they have a license from Reserve Bank of India to accept foreign exchange. The only truly cooperative stores are Khadi Granudyog shops in almost all Rajasthan cities, Urmul shop in Bikaner and another near the Pokharan midway.

However if you are interested in getting your money back, this is what you should do -

1 - Write a letter to the Commissioner Tourism, Govt Hostel, M. I. Road, Jaipur with copy to the Superintendent Police, Jodhpur (that address should be enough)

2 - Attach photocopies of your card payment receipt etc any proof of purchase you may have

3 - Attach photos of the damaged item shipped to you

4 - Ask for their help in getting your money back

5 - Say you are willing to return the goods to the shopkeeper in your own country in your own city to whoever he says

6 - Copy the letter to the shop and tell them that if they do not take action within 14 days, you write to the SP Jodhpur asking for a criminal report to be filed against him. Yes, the police can file a report against him without your being in our country

All the best!!

Jaisalmer
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Maharani Art store - BEWARE!

It is really good suggestion by njpai that how you can get your money back. You have to because it could be a good lesson for anothers.

I research a little and found that there are approved government shop, which called "RAJASTHALI" but you will find the same story there. The worker at Rajasthali request to the guides to bring client and pay high commission which is not written in accounts of the shop. They adjust it by their own way.

So beware of "RAJASTHALI" if your guides insisting for doing shopping there.

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maharani Art store - BEWARE!

Chiste,

That is very interesting about Rajasthali. Most guide books suggest that Rajasthali is a Rajasthan Government fixed price shop. I have to say that we used Rajasthali at the beginning of our holiday to give us an idea on prices and then used that information when enjoying the fun of bargaining on our way round Rajasthan.