We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Watching textile arts

Which Jodhpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pacific Coast...
Level Contributor
35 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Watching textile arts

Can anyone advise where I can go to watch textiles being made- embroidery, block printing, dyeing, bandhani . Spending 2 nights in Jodhpur in January.

salawas
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Watching textile arts

Hi,

If you like to see real things and want to explore village life where you can see how to make embroidery, block printing, durry weaving etc.............

You must stay at "Chhotaram Prajapat's Homestay " This bet homestay in 20 Kms. outside from jodhpur city center.

You can buy these things from Village people so they get big help from you and you will get best quality and best rates from local people.

Regards

C R Prajapat

agra
Level Contributor
1,642 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Watching textile arts

Block printing in Jaipur

Embroidery in Agra

Delhi
Level Contributor
362 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Watching textile arts

So there are quite a few places, it really depends where you are travelling to.

You can see lots of these places in Delhi itself- embroidery, Bandhani and dyeing etc. There are lots of Units.

For Carpet weaving not very far from Delhi is a place called Panipat . There are places in Punjab and Rajasthan. It really depends on the level of interest and how you can possibly combine these places with your cultural/sightseeing places.

Another place in Rajasthan you can do is a place called Bhilwara - the textile town .there is a homestay ( BMW its called) and that can fall on way to Udaipur from Jaipur or you can do even after Jodhpur.

Hope this helps.

India
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Watching textile arts

For textile you will fine in jodhpur and for block printing you visit place near jodhpur ( pipaer city) its famous for block print

Hardly take 01 hour drive from jodhpur and textile you may fine in jodhpur only

thanks nimbera

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Watching textile arts

Hi

If you are staying two nights in Jodhpur then it is best for textile and if you want to see the process of printing and dyeing then you can visit place known as Pipar City which is about 60 km away from Jodhpur

regards

indiaviacar

Pacific Coast...
Level Contributor
35 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Watching textile arts

Thanks everyone- will check out the places mentioned.

Do I just arrive at the location and get my driver to ask questions?

Udaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Udaipur
Level Contributor
4,524 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Watching textile arts

Hi Liz ,

You have chance to see live demo for this textile work in jodhpur and near Jodhpur ..

To see this work in large Quantity, you have to visit where it is done im large scale -

Bagru and sanganer near Jaupur is popular for block printing but there are several known and unknown places - Akola near chittaurgarh kethun near kota are also known for block print textile work.

Bandhani - Bandhej is done at several places - it is in shekhawati, Bikaner , Jodhpur, Udaipur etc.

Embroidery work from Barmer in Rajasthan & Kutch in Gujrat

Pacific Coast...
Level Contributor
35 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Watching textile arts

Thanks

I am visiting New Delhi, Lucknow, agra, Varanasi, jaipur, jodphur, udaipur, deogarh -so hopefully in these places and in the drives between I can see textile art being produced.

There are few places in the world where you can see authentic artists at work- not just putting on a display for tourist dollars.

Any additional advice appreciated.

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
567 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Watching textile arts

Hi Liz,

Add a visit to Sanganer when you are in Jaipur and visit Bagru when you are driving to Jodhpur or Udaipur whichever first from Jaipur, it's 35 kms from Jaipur. You will find block printing on a large scale in these two villages/towns.

Thanks

Pacific Coast...
Level Contributor
35 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Watching textile arts

Thankyou -my itinerary is starting to look good.

Google maps is handy for finding these towns and working out a travel route- even if the time factor is ? Unreliable ( so I have read).