We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Angel Fire, NM vs. Breckinridge, CO vs. Park City, UT

Louisiana
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Angel Fire, NM vs. Breckinridge, CO vs. Park City, UT

I am trying to plan a family vacation for this year. We have two children ages 5 and 10 so I wanted to plan a trip somewhere that has lots of activities in addition to snow skiing since none of us have ever been and we may want other things to do. So I want to know out of Breckinridge, Angel Fire, and Park City which is best for families?

Also, I was wanting to go during the Thanksgiving break from school this year, but I have no idea how the snow situation is at that time of year. Any advice and suggestions are appreciated!

Vietnam Veterans Memorial
Monuments & Statues, History Museums
Angel Fire Resort
Ski & Snowboard Areas, Biking Trails
Turquoise Trout
Other Outdoor Activities
South Portland...
Level Contributor
91 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Angel Fire, NM vs. Breckinridge, CO vs. Park City, UT

Angel Fire is a great ski resort and a nice place to learn to ski, but our resorts often do not have enough snow much before the middle of December. You can also stay closer to the mountain at Angel Fire much cheaper.

I love Park City and it is also very family friendly and lots to do. Have not been to Breckenridge in a long time but my son in his early 20's and buddies snowboard there a lot, so i am not sure how family friendly it can be for young children. And it is also pretty pricey. And harder to get to than Park City from a major airport.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Angel Fire, NM vs. Breckinridge, CO vs. Park City, UT

Most of the major ski areas "hope" to open by Thanksgiving, but Mother Nature usually doesn't cooperate. This last Winter in New Mexico for instance, we had very early, and very wet conditions, resulting in lots of snow across Northern New Mexico. The two previous winters were warm and dry, with late openings, and early closings at the many ski areas.

All three of your choices are "family friendly" when it comes to slopes for beginners. But, all three are also relatively long distances from the nearest major airports. You might want to consider ski areas which are closer to larger cities, with more to do off the slopes. The Santa Fe Ski Area might be a good alternative, and in Albuquerque there are several places your kiddos might enjoy. Even Albuquerque's adjacent ski area in the Sandia Mountains had abundant snow last year, and you can ride to the top of the mountain on the world's longest tramway, or drive up the back side from NM-14.

You should also take into account how far you want to drive on often snow-packed highways.

Good luck with your planning.

South Portland...
Level Contributor
91 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Angel Fire, NM vs. Breckinridge, CO vs. Park City, UT

Sandia is a great ski area and a perfect place to learn to ski, but I cannot remember the last season they were open on Thanksgiving, even this past year when we had great snow. Also as beginners, you probably will not be able to ride the tram and ski down the other side, especially with a 5 year old.

Santa Fe is also a great beginner area, but you stay in Santa Fe and drive or take a bus up the mountain everyday. I know when my kiddos were young and learning to ski, I just wanted to walk out the door and be at the slope.

As for other things to do, almost all ski areas have a sledding area close by as well as skidoo tours. Larger resorts will have hot tubs and pools to enjoy. Are you looking for other outside activities? Or more inside things, like museums, etc.

Meade, KS
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Angel Fire, NM vs. Breckinridge, CO vs. Park City, UT

Angel Fire is great for families as it is smaller. There is not near as much shopping and atmosphere as at Breckenridge. Breckenridge is a very stylish little town with lots of shopping. There are outlet malls and other towns around close too. We skied at Breckenridge last Thanksgiving and there was limited territory open but what was open was great! Fly into Denver and take the shuttle, it's cheap and it goes several times a day.

Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
644 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Angel Fire, NM vs. Breckinridge, CO vs. Park City, UT

Trying to compare the different resorts you mention is daunting since Angel Fire isn't really on the same par with either Breckinridge or Park City. For example, a recent rating by Ski Magazine of the top ski resorts in the West gave very, very high ratings to Breckinridge and one of the highest to Park City, but Angel Fire wasn't even mentioned anywhere in their Top 50.

The only New Mexico ski resort that made the list was Taos Ski Valley.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
14 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Angel Fire, NM vs. Breckinridge, CO vs. Park City, UT

Very true about ratings, but if you are taking a 5 and 10 year old skiiing you probably don't care about the rating of the resort, as such ratings are generally focused on use by advanced skiers. In my experience, Angel Fire is a great place to take kids as it is laid back, affordable, and small enough that the kids won't get lost or feel too intimidated. Have also also found the ski instructors to be top notch for beginners and intermediates. Breckenridge and Park City are going to be more expensive, probably busier, and slighly less welcoming to families. But what was said about snow is 100% correct, Angel Fire is not even going open until 12/16.

7. Re: Angel Fire, NM vs. Breckinridge, CO vs. Park City, UT

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2011, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Angel Fire