We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help planning Christmas ski trip with small kids

Which Angel Fire hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tishomingo, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
149 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Help planning Christmas ski trip with small kids

My husband and I usually ski Breckenridge/Copper Mountain but now we have a 2 year old and 4 year old in tow. We love the ski in/out places in colorado but need a shorter drive, less money trip. Are there nice condos/hotels that would be slopeside. The places I have seen look kind of run-down, maybe I'm missing something? Also, being that one of our kids is only 2, is there any sledding he can do with me? What about dinner sleigh rides for the family? This won't be our typical ski trip, more of a ski some, sled some, maybe dog sled, dinner sleigh ride, swim, etc. I haven't found much information when searching so I really appreciate any help and if Angel Fire doesn't fit the bill, is there any place in NM that will? BTW, driving from Oklahoma. Thanks so much!

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help planning Christmas ski trip with small kids

I wish I could help. My wife always liked skiing and staying in Angel Fire, especially with family and friends staying and cooking together in a condo or house or "cabin". She keeps wanting to go but we still haven't gone together. We've stayed in Taos Ski Valley...not sure it's great for such young ones. As family, we've only skied at Sandia (not the place for a planned ski vacation), Santa Fe (love Santa Fe!) and Sipapu (small, quaint lodge somewhat near Taos & Santa Fe, but no real accommodations on site). How about Ruidoso in southern NM? How about Red River, not far from Angel Fire? How about Durango?

(If I had money to burn, I'd love to go to Beaver Creek!)

Edited: 26 August 2011, 15:55
Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
644 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help planning Christmas ski trip with small kids

Angel Fire properties are relatively new and are not run down, but New Mexico skiing ain't Colorado skiing. The differences can be remarkable, beginning with price, so you can tell where this is going: you get what you pay for.

Taos Ski Valley remains the only nationally ranked ski resort in New Mexico. The other destinations are acceptable, but tend to much more quaint and limited in their overall offerings. The runs at Angel Fire are relatively easy, but we have been unhappy with the overall behavior of those who ski there -- they just don't care about anyone but themselves and are frequently so inexperienced that they're rude. That's just our opinion.

The sleigh rides are really cool at Angel Fire. If there's enough snow, the rides are twice or three times daily and everyone will enjoy themselves. The mountain is open after dark with lots of flood lights on a huge green/blue slope for a variety of activities. A great "snow tubing" run near the bottom is a lot of fun.

We were impressed the young staff at Angel Fire last year when we went with a disabled family member. Extremely professional. They essentially took over and made every accommodation possible to help us to the areas where our nephew could have the time of his life on the side of a big ski mountain.

Red River is a great little town where folks tend to be focused a little more on the skiing part of their trip and can be very family friendly.

We don't have any particular favorite properties at either Angel Fire or Red River, but the rankings on Trip Advisor are typical of what most people think.

Taos Ski Valley is only as much as you want to bite onto. The Kid's Ski School is one of the largest structures on the mountain and is considered among the tops in the nation. If your kids learn there, they'll be able to ski anywhere in the world and enjoy themselves. The resort is built to serve skiers and not the apre-ski crowd.

angel fire nm
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help planning Christmas ski trip with small kids

You might want to check out www.vrbo.com for homes in angel fire. the only condos that are ski in/ski out are Ski Run BUT not really ... Walking distance is Angel Fire Chalets or Lifts as well. ALL condos are either half a block or 3 blocks to slopes ... this year the Village Shuttle is NOT running

4. Re: Help planning Christmas ski trip with small kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Angel Fire
More Angel Fire Topics