We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Udaipur Guides and Ranukpur Excursion Question

Which Udaipur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
96 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Udaipur Guides and Ranukpur Excursion Question

We will be in Udaipur in the fall, and I have two questions:

1. Does anyone know of a really good government-approved, English speaking guide?

2. We are thinking of taking a one day excursion from Udaipur to Ranakpur Temple, Kumbhalgarh Fort, and Kumbhalgarh Sanctuary. We would go back to Udaipur that night. My question is: Is it possible to attempt this excursion simply with a driver, given the fact that one needs a permit and jeep for the sanctuary, or is it too complicated, such that I should hire a guide to facilitate the trip?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Jaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Rajasthan, Jodhpur, Sawai Madhopur, Ranthambore National Park, Jaipur
Level Contributor
3,184 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Udaipur Guides and Ranukpur Excursion Question

The guide who does the touristy sightseeing will not be the same guide as does the forest excursion with you. You need a forets guide separately from the forest department. It is best you stay at noght at Kumbhalgarh and ask the hotle to arrange the forest trip as it needs liasing with the forest department. Recommend you use Aodhi - see www.hrhhotels.com

For the tourist monument guide you can ask any Rajasthan Association of Tour Operator member to provide you with a car and guide. Just use the query function on the website www.ratorajasthan.org to get quotes from members

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,270 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Udaipur Guides and Ranukpur Excursion Question

Have you not identified a travel agent yet for hiring transport? Whoever that is, they'll get you a guide. This is true for all cities. Ask for the best quality guide, and you can perhaps even ask to speak to the guide if required. The quality of guides varies enormously. If you are using one of the luxury tour operators you can pretty much be sure the guide will be very good. If you are using smaller operators, ask for good guides and let them know it is important to you, they will arrange it.

3. Re: Udaipur Guides and Ranukpur Excursion Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 19:26
Mumbai
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Udaipur Guides and Ranukpur Excursion Question

Welcome to Udaipur--a charming, peaceful and coulourful city. We had been to Udaipur last year and i guess you need not have full-time guide. To all the popular forts/museums etc govt approved and with licences tourist guides are there. You can identify them with their Badge and also can tell them to show their licence. And for Kumbhalgarh, you stay at Hotel Auodhi--its an HRH group of hotels and are fantastically located. You can stay their for two nights and enjoy one day the sanctuary and also the other day in evening the Kumbhalgarh Fort lighted for half an hour from 6:00 to 6:30 or 6:30 to 7:00 pm. Please check the timings in advance and see the magic unfold as the periphery of the fort is lited!!!! And for visit to the sanctuary you can ask the Hotel Aodhi staff to make arrangemnet for the same. Wish you a great time in Udaipur and Kumbhalgarh Fort.

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Udaipur Guides and Ranukpur Excursion Question

NPJai,

I didn't tell you, but we had a terrible experience at Aodhi. We stopped there for lunch and the food was ridiculously expensive and they point blank refused to cook what we wanted. They said all they would do was soup. The soup arrived and we were all sure that it was dried vegetables rehydrated. For 4 soups, 4 naan and 4 lime sodas we were charged over 2500 Rs!!

It looked a really nice hotel, but the service, quality and the price of the food were the worst we came across in India.

Mumbai
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Udaipur Guides and Ranukpur Excursion Question

You went ot Aodhi on your own. Similarly the hotel has the menu card and the prices printed on this so your charge of saying the hotel overcharged is baseless. i am sure no hotels in Europe would give you the freedom to tell whatever you like to cook for them!!! one has to make a choice from what is available in the menu card.

Jaipur, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,184 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Udaipur Guides and Ranukpur Excursion Question

Tim, just read this. This seems like a scam and maybe the management is no aware of this..could scan and email me the bill if they gave you one?

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Udaipur Guides and Ranukpur Excursion Question

They gave us a menu card, which inluded daal, and then the waiter refused to serve it to us!! He said it took too longer. He then said he would serve us some "excellent" soup with Naan and what arrived was the worst soup I have ever tasted, apart from the ready soups we get in the UK, which are dried vegetables over which you pour boiling water. It tasted just like that.

I have to say everywhere else in India the food was excellent and the service faultless, just at this particular establishment, for some reason it was atrocious and ridiculously expensive.

Jaipur, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,184 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Udaipur Guides and Ranukpur Excursion Question

Im going try and get a copy of the Aodhi menu..must see how they can have such prices.

Agra, India
Level Contributor
750 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Udaipur Guides and Ranukpur Excursion Question

Tim,

Now i can see where yur stomach problems came from....