We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How does Udaipur rank on India's tourist priority list?

Which Udaipur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
214 posts
263 reviews
Save Topic
How does Udaipur rank on India's tourist priority list?

Hi,

I have been planning a trip for some time now and have sort of narrowed down to the following sites...

1) Agra (1 Night - Taj Mahal)

2) Delhi (5 Nights - Wedding and Visiting)

3) Amritsar (1 Night - Golden Temple)

4) Mumbai (3 Nights - Visiting the City)

5) Udaipur (1 Night - Lake Palace Hote + City Palace)

Udaipur sort of ranks fifth in my priority list, after the top four destinations... My question is that I might have to cut my trip short by one day, and I want to get feedback and see if I would be right to cut Udaipur (rather than a day in Mumbai or Amritsar)...

I understand that Mumbai is not as touristy but I sort of want to experience what Mumbai is like, as one of the most vibrant Asian cities...

From all the research I have done, UDaipur is indeed a very important place to visit (probably ranked second after Agra in terms of Touristic importance) but the pictures do not really show much.. Am I missing something? If Udaipur's main attraction is the City Palace, is that really worth seeing? (I live in Europe and have seen many ruin and castles across many countries)

The reason I am asking this is that I might be fall one day short so

jaisalmer
Destination Expert
for Jaisalmer
Level Contributor
1,345 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How does Udaipur rank on India's tourist priority list?

Hi, its very hard to say that how much you will like the Udaipur ,it has beautfull lake , very romantick mooments over looking the lake or when on boat , you seen or been on boat but its always difrent atmostpahare , I would say add one more day for Udaipur .

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How does Udaipur rank on India's tourist priority list?

Udaipur was our favourite city in Rajasthan.

London, United...
Level Contributor
212 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How does Udaipur rank on India's tourist priority list?

Chrella......i am thinking of doing Udaipur next year too..... please message me back with any must dos for Udaipur ....... what i should not miss out on..... where i should definitely visit in Udaipur..... any tips would be much appreciated

Udaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Udaipur
Level Contributor
4,532 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How does Udaipur rank on India's tourist priority list?

Hi

Lakes and sarrounding Hills are the beauty of the city - you are not making mistake to add udaipur in your list

Udaipur calling

California
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How does Udaipur rank on India's tourist priority list?

I think you will love Udaipur, it's known as the "Venice of the East", home to the Maharajas (Kings) & Maharanis (Queens) the former kingdom which still holds high on it's glorious past... therefore it's culture has remained rich & vibrant with the members of Udaipur's royal family still present and well respected across the state of Rajasthan.

You will come across various palaces and royal residents that have been converted into luxurious hotels, these give travelers a glimpse of what was it like to be a royal back in the day. The experience of course is very much different from Europe. It will be an unforgettable trip; different culture, cuisine, people. & let's not even get started on Rajasthani cuisine, good god it's so Delicious!

Udaipur is worth the visit, but don't rush things here / probably two days are appropriate to take in the culture, surroundings and truly enjoy your trip.

~ Bon Voyage!

Edited: 18 November 2011, 12:16
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
353 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How does Udaipur rank on India's tourist priority list?

It really depends. If a person is not that religious he'd prefer Udaipur over Amritsar. In the end its your personal taste that counts.

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
214 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How does Udaipur rank on India's tourist priority list?

Thank you all for the feedback..

Yeah, I guess the most difficult part is gaging how much Udaipur would fit my interest... I'm sort of a hyper active tourist, so I like visiting monument, seeing landscapes and going through important museums...

If Udaipur is a city that has to be experienced over a few days where I hang out by the lake and walk around the center (or ride horse)... then I probably would get bored after a day of that...

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
376 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How does Udaipur rank on India's tourist priority list?

Hey

Udaipur is a city to relax and at the same enjoy some of the flavors of Rajasthan. I like to call Udaipur the Goa of North India for the relaxed and laid back feel to the place.

If you are not on a flash visit to India I would say definitely spend 2 days there and enjoy the place. One of the best places in Udaipur is the Chandpol area with its narrow bylanes and Ghats(banks) on the lake. there are some small and interesting museums there also like the Bhagore Ki Haveli and temples like the Jagdish Temple. Also a must do in Udaipur is the Monsoon Palace during sunset.

Udit

about.me/udithooda

udaipur
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How does Udaipur rank on India's tourist priority list?

every 1 out of 3 tourist coming to india,comes to udaipur.

it is a must do, if you are romantic by heart and adore nature against the backdrop of royal

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How does Udaipur rank on India's tourist priority list?

Udaipur is one of the best places to visit in Rajasthan and a night stay in Lake Palace hotel is a must as it is best romantic hotels in India. Besides visiting City Palace, you can also do boat ride in Lake Pichola and visit Monsoon Palace. So you should certainly not miss Udaipur.