We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rajasthan Road Trip from Mumbai

Which Udaipur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mumbai (Bombay...
3 posts
Save Topic
Rajasthan Road Trip from Mumbai

I am planning a road trip of Rajasthan from Mumbai in November. Start from Mubai and drive to Udaipur, ranthambore, Jaipur, Jodhpur, Jaisalmer, Ahmedabad and back to Mumbai. Trip for 12 days with wife and two kids with a couple of nights at all places in Rajasthan and 1 night in Ahmedabad...

1. What is the road condition in Rajasthan post rains?

2. Since this is a 3000 km trip... nearly 250 kms drive a day... do the road conditions warrant me taking a driver rather than self driving... i have a midsegment automatic transmission car.

3. What place in Jaisalmer would give me the best tent stay, folk dance, food and sand dune safari experience?

4. Any other tips regarding my itinerary?

Look forward to your feedback to make my holiday a memorable one.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
296 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rajasthan Road Trip from Mumbai

Road conditions are pretty fine in Rajasthan, moreover majority of your travle will be on National highway or the Mega highway, so it won't be an issue.

Driving 250kms a day is totally upon you. The roads will be pretty fine but having no alternative driver with you might be a risk!!

In Jaisalmer either resorts in Khuri or Sam dunes would be the best fit for your requirements.

India
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rajasthan Road Trip from Mumbai

hi ,

ya this year we have lot of rain but now road work is on progress so need do worry and you will easily cover 250 -300 kms per day it take 05 to 06 hrs

you itinerary is perfect as per me / and i will suggest you 02 night in each city

thanks nimbera

Udaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Udaipur
Level Contributor
4,533 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rajasthan Road Trip from Mumbai

Your itinerary not indicate any stop.between Mumbai to udaipur.

This is long way l know that the good conditions of Gujrat roads and cars of this generation make this possible

Going for babymoon with a baby i prefer to have a overnight break in Baroda. It us nice city for a break.

Udaipur to Ranthambhore is another long way you may take a break at Bundi or Kota.

If you are planing to visit ranthambhore for national park. Than you have to reschedule your itinerary otherwise ( you can visit Fort it is in Park.)

ad national park further entry is ban by supreme court of India and till next hearing in coming week.and i don't think it will open shortly.

Jaisalmer':-

Sand dune sam is interesting you can spend a night in tent.

You can ask further about jaisalmer to

digitaljaisalmer- Dev is destination expert of jaisalmer and local residents of jaisalmer

You may send a private message or call him to help you further.

Edited: 13 October 2012, 05:14
Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rajasthan Road Trip from Mumbai

Please remember Jaisalmer is situated in extreme west . So its 300 km from Jodhpur . Although the road is good , but you can save 600 Km of drving if you drop Jaisalmer

Happy travels

vipul

Mumbai (Bombay...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rajasthan Road Trip from Mumbai

Thanks for your inputs. I have my fingers crossed about the Ranthambore visit and hope Oct 16 judgement allows tiger tourism... I plan to do the 780 km to Udaipur in one go... and intend to start from Mumbai at abt 0500 hrs in the morning... shall consider if need to stop at Baroda/Ahd.

would i be able to cover Udaipur to Ranthambore in abt 5-6 hrs or not given the present road conditions... i am a quick driver so if road conditions are fine... would the run be more than 6 hrs fm Udaipur to Ranthambore?

Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rajasthan Road Trip from Mumbai

Did you figure this out? I'm planning on driving Udiapur to Surat and need to know if this is crazy?

Mumbai (Bombay...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rajasthan Road Trip from Mumbai

Udaipur to Surat ... seems ok. Should be a no worries trip.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Rajasthan Road Trip from Mumbai

Purely my opinion: Advantage of having a driver is to have time with your family while the Driver is driving. You can enjoy your time. Best bargain is to exchange Time for Money. But yes your call.

Udaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Udaipur
Level Contributor
4,533 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rajasthan Road Trip from Mumbai

@ foof18,

udaipir to durst is ok to drive .

10. Re: Rajasthan Road Trip from Mumbai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 12:18