We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North sikkim-urgent

India
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
North sikkim-urgent

Hello,

I am planning a trip to north sikkim in mid may.(its a little late for the booking, but hopefully we'll get through).

I'd appreciate any kind of help with the itinerary/hotels etc.

We are reaching NJP on 9th early morning & departing on 13th night from NJP.

In this tour of 4 nights/5 days, in particular i'd like to know

1- Instead of staying 2 nights in Gangtok, 1 night at Lachen & 1 night at Lachung (as recommended by most itineraries), is it possible to put up for atleast 3 nights at Gangtok(if not all 4) & yet visit Lachen & lachung & the other places that follow(yumthang/yumsamdong in the east & gurudongmar in the west), since we would like to avail of our sterling resort holidays, which is only in GAngtok in Sikkim.

2- Which are the good hotels/resorts in LAchen & Lachung? (in the range 1500-2500)?

Thank you

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Darjeeling, Sikkim, Meghalaya
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North sikkim-urgent

Hi

Unfortunately, there is no way that you can visit places like Lachen / Lachung / Yumthang without spending a night there. It takes approx 8 hours to drive from gangtok to Lachung ( via the normal sight seeing stops and lunch etc) -- so there is no way that you can do the trip without spending a night in Lachung (1N +2D tour). The other option ofcourse is the 2N+3D tour, whereby you have another night halt at Lachen.

San Jose, California
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: North sikkim-urgent

Hi debadatt2003,

Would you have any information on the hotels that are good to stay in Lachen and Lachung.

I don't want to take the package some operators are offering which includes stay. I just want to book a hotel room in Lachen and Lachung, but I am unable to find one on internet. Any information would be useful.

Regards,

Pratyush

Mumbai
Level Contributor
3 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North sikkim-urgent

i know of a bed and breakfast type arrangement called sayla inn and i stayed there in 2006 . i used a agent called Gyatso in gangtok for this . his number if working will be 9832028797

Mumbai
Level Contributor
3 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North sikkim-urgent

i know of a bed and breakfast type arrangement called sayla inn and i stayed there in 2006 . i used a agent called Gyatso in gangtok for this . his number if working will be 9832028797

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North sikkim-urgent

Hi Pratyushaditya,

Iam not sure if one can directly book hotels in Lachen / Lachung independently. At least until 1.5 years ago, there was no chance to do such tours on our own -- one had to go in for package tours.

We had done this tour in 2007 and we used Marco Polo World Travels. Iam also aware of Lecoxy Tours -- both are pretty decent considering the pretty harsh terrains of North Sikkim. Also you can talk to these operators and get the trip tailor made to your liking. Moreover, Iam not sure, but in all probability, booking the hotels and the vehicle on your own might not give you any financial benefit -- in case that is your main focus for trying to opt out of a tour operator.

Another word of advice -- unless you are travelling in the absolute peak season, it is always financially beneficial to do the bookings once you reach Gangtok -- rather than some other travel agent located in Blr / Kol etc. I remember, we negotiated a lower price of approx 20% from MarcoPolo Gangtok vis-a-vis what their Kolkata office offerred us. So, this trick might be well worth the risk.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
142 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North sikkim-urgent

I'm not sure if I would agree with the advice of waiting until you get there to book your North Sikkim. You might save a bit, but you will spend at least a day trotting around to the various agencies doing your price comparisons.

We waited until we arrived in mid-May (just last month) in Gangtok to do this and I would have rather spent the day enjoying Gangtok than looking for a deal. You still pay for food and hotel on this "work" day, so I am not sure the savings would be all that great. Just an alternate opionion. Not everything comes down to money:)

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North sikkim-urgent

I agree with you Born2go -- and just as I mentioned, it is better to have advance bookings during the peak season ( and May /Dec are definitely the peak seasons). And during the peak season, even if you go around looking for big discounts -- I doubt if you will get much for the simple reason that tour operators donot reduce their rates simply because demand outstrips supply.

However the situation is very different during the middle/low seasons, when one can simply select the right tour operator and walk out with a good discount. The catch is that rather than "window shopping" and spending one full day, shortlist 1 or 2 reputed operators and then finalise the deal with any one of them.

Btw Born2go -- it would be nice if you could share your experience and some details about the tour such as tour operator/duration/price/quality of hotel n service etc.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
142 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: North sikkim-urgent

Be happy to. As I mentioned above, we spent almost a day talking to travel agencies and sorting out what we wanted to do on our first day in Gangtok.

We ended booking with Modern Treks & Tours,(moderntreks@hotmail.com) located just off the MG Marg in Gangtok. We customized our trip of 3 nights, staying all three nights in Lachung at the Taasgsing Retreat (Modern Residency)as we wanted some time just to do some relaxing hiking in the area, rather than spending all day in a jeep, traveling over the rough roads to another place that was perhaps of marginal interest. Also, my husband has a history of severe altitude sickness, so we didn't want to spend the night at suggested Lachen, which was at a much higher altitude than Lachung. Why ruin his trip?

Day 1 was spent just traveling between Gangtok and Lachung, stopping at Seven Sister's Waterfall, Phodong Gompa and lunch breaks along the way. Although the milage was not that great, the trip took about 8 hours.

Day 2 was spent at Yunthang, about 25 KM north of Lachung, hiking the road viewing the beautiful rhododendroms. We skipped the hot springs. It looked, well, uninteresting.

Many Indian nationals spent the afternoon traveling up the mountain, for the sake of playing in the snow.(sorry, don't remember the name). We had no interest in this, having grown up with LOTS of snow, but we also were not permitted to go because we are foreigners.

Day 3 we visited Lachung Monastery, then hiking with our guide.

We were on our own both afternoons and just spent the days walking, resting and enjoying the scenery.

Day 4-Departed after breakfast and arrived Gangtok late afternoon.

We had a jeep, driver and guide for the two of us. We paid roughly $400.00 for the two of us including, jeep, driver, guide, accomodations, food, sightseeing for 4 days/3 nights. Sorry the figure I am giving is in US, but this is what I wrote down in my expense diary! The most people you have, obviously the less per person you are going to pay as you have more people sharing the cost of the jeep, driver, guide and fuel. We traveled in VERY peak season, so this will also affect your price.

North Sikkim was the highlight of our trip and worth the effort. It is indeed a very special place.

Our guide was excellent, spoke good English, and was very knowledgable about Sikkim history and the flora and fauna in the area. He can be reached at pretammukhia@yahoo.in.com.

Marbella, Spain
Level Contributor
189 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: North sikkim-urgent

Thanks for the report born2go it will help me greatly with planning our trip in mid november and no doubt many other travelers to north sikkim, it is a shame it has cost me a few weeks before I discovered your trip report! thanks again

PUNE MAHARASHTRA
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: North sikkim-urgent

I will be reaching Sikkim on 22nd Oct.2009 & returning back on 1st Nov. 2009.I would like to know wheather North Sikkim is advisable during this period. If yes which are the places advised. We are mainly interested in scenery, natural beauty, snow & snow fall if possible.

Also I am advised by our travel agent to have a stay of one day in KALUK. However I could not find any information about Kaluk. Please advise wheather stay in Kaluk should be planned.