We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nagarhole Pk or Periyar PL

St-lambert
Level Contributor
906 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Nagarhole Pk or Periyar PL

Did anyone went lately to any of those park and could comment on their stay and safaris please. I plan to be around early January/2010.

Merci

Sylvain

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nagarhole Pk or Periyar PL

Please do a search on Kabini and see whether you come up with anything. I have posted about Kabini River Lodge at Nagar(a)hole previously. I think Gjo has done so too. I love the place. If you are still at a loss after the search, do say so and I would be happy to comment.

My visits to Periyar have not been recent enough to comment.

Chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Tamil Nadu
Level Contributor
3,157 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nagarhole Pk or Periyar PL

Hi Sylvain

My Perosnal opinion on the two is - there is no comparison at all.... Kabini / Nagarhole wins hands down . . . .!

The Kabini side of the park is simply wonderful. The wildlife here is much denser than Periar, the Safari's a lot better, well organized and often led by a well trained and knowledgable naturalist. I can say this with conviction about 3 resorts at Kabini that i have stayed at (see my reviews on them). The resorts are Orange County Kabini, Cicada Resorts Kabini and Jungle Lodges Resort Kabini.

Orange County is an upscale resort (in the 10K INR per day bracket) while Cicada and JLR are around (6K and 4K INR per day range). The Safari's from all the three resorts are very well conducted and Safety is quite seriously adhered to.

Periyar, is more of a touristy spot - with day crowds thronging this place. The Safari's here are mainly by boat and the wildlife limited to a few species. Treks and Jeep Safaris are organized here, but honestly, as a wildlife enthusiast, i can tell you, the serious stuff arond the wilds is more on the interiors - which are away from the trouristy zones.

regards

Rajan

Bangalore
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nagarhole Pk or Periyar PL

Having been to both places, I dont think I could put it any better than Rajan.

Battambang, Cambodia
Level Contributor
1 post
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nagarhole Pk or Periyar PL

Hi Sylvain

I've only been to Periyar and as always it depends what you are looking for / expecting. At Periyar you can have a real touristy experience and ride an elephant through the bush and take a pleasant boat trip; your chances of getting in any real wildlife watching are limited. It was however quite good for bird watching. Therefore based on what the others have said I'd try Nagarhole.

Enjoy !

5. Re: Nagarhole Pk or Periyar PL

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2010, 05:17